Cooper Spirits new 13yo Rye (Lock Stock & Barrel)

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's amazing that we are getting accustomed to or think $100 is normal. They ahve won.

Like Hell they have. The only thing they have proven is those with disposable cash will use some of it to satisfy a whim of curiosity.

Like Hell they have. The only thing they have proven is those with disposable cash will use some of it to satisfy a whim of curiosity.

I know for my wallet, I've sworn off buying stuff over $50 unless I've tried it first, because more than half the stuff I paid more for turned out to be "just OK" for my palate (and at that price, it needs to do a whole lot more). Now by "swearing off", that means I try hard to pass it by :lol: I've passed up a lot of bottles of this, and while I enjoyed the taste I had - I didn't enjoy it enough to part with that kind of dough.

And that itch, once scratched, won't itch again.

Au contraire mon ami! It can and does itch again. Was it a bad night for the palate? Was I not feeling well that day? What else did I have to eat or drink? What can't I play with the big kids???

In fact, it is feeling kinda itchy right now...

:lol:

All piss and vinegar and internet outrage. Not just that blog entry, the whole site.

I had more than a few sentences typed up, but then I thought "pot, kettle."

As you note not much new here and to Cooper Spirits credit they did discuss it here with the sort of people who care about this sort of minutiae. Doesn't seem to be poking his pointy stick at WhistlePig (didn't come up on a search of his blog anyway) which would appear to be just as guilty if not more so on the bullshit meter.

I talked to a VP of Marketing at this years whiskey-fest and he seemed pretty open about where it came from. Also mentioned that there is no other 13-year old rye on the market except for VWFRR and that LS&B has enough stock to last into next year release. They do plan on selling a 15 year in the future...I said "Of course at a higher price" and all I got was smirk and a nod.

FWIW, the rye was good but not $125 good. I drank a lot of whiskey that day though.

Finishing up a bottle of Jeff10 and then I'm going to finish my last ever, unless they decide to be honest in who they are, WP.

I splurged and bought a bottle (I know, I know...). Too much open on the bar right now - bottles are consuming my counter - but its on deck. I'll report back when I crack this sucker.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you all enjoyed your turkey day... I think we're just about through the leftovers, an accomplishment in itself.

We've been getting some great write-ups recently on Lock Stock & Barrel, and I thought I'd share this one as it goes into quite a bit of detail on the product. Cheers!

http://www.findeatdrink.com/Index/Drink/Entries/2013/12/4_rob_cooper.html

I talked to a VP of Marketing at this years whiskey-fest and he seemed pretty open about where it came from. Also mentioned that there is no other 13-year old rye on the market except for VWFRR and that LS&B has enough stock to last into next year release. They do plan on selling a 15 year in the future...I said "Of course at a higher price" and all I got was smirk and a nod.

FWIW, the rye was good but not $125 good. I drank a lot of whiskey that day though.

A revisionist history in the findeatdrink article. In 2006 and 2007, WTR101 was readily available, not just OO and Ritt.

• 2 months later...

Ok Gys. Anyone have an opinion of this Rye.. Lock Stock & Barrel 13 Yr Straight Rye.. Today one of the stores I frequent called and mentioned they had a few bottles of this.. It was Expensive.. I am not so much against paying for a Premium Bottle.. Just is I have no real info on this one.. Appreciate any thoughts and etc.. Thanks. Creggor

Creggor if you haven't already tried it (it being introduced while you were out) the Wiser Legacy Pot Still might be a good Canadian Rye choice.

Ok Guys thanks,.. For the time being I am going to pass on this one.. I am going to buy a Bottle of Mitcher's 10 Year Old Bourbon from this store tomorrow.. I will wait to get more feed back on the LS&B 13 YR Rye..

Had my first pour of this last night. My oh my this is a flavorful smooth rich rye. At this price I think it will be slowly consumed but thoroughly enjoyed.

If it were $50 - $75 a bottle and more readily available I think it would be a go to rye for me and many others.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.