Blend of Rittenhouse BiB and High West 21

ATXWhiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought a bottle of HW21 recently. Good stuff but very subdued. I decided to experiment tonight and did approx a 50/50 blend with Ritt BiB. Excellent stuff. If you have the bottles on hand, I encourage you to give it a go.

My sentiments of the HW21 are very similar. Just a few days ago I made a small tester of 3:1 blend of HW21 & Flor de Cana 7yo rum. Letting it mingle for awhile but snuck a taste and seems promising.

I am not knocking your blend, but I would not mix or blend the High West 21 myself. I enjoy it for the transparent rye notes and overall delicate flavors the used barrels imparted. Enjoy it neat, you probably won't taste anything like it in the next 21 years.

Edited by LostBottle

I truly enjoy the HW21 and the fact it was aged in used cooperage is that unique factor that really allows it to shine IMO.I get a lot of notes of sweetness and zest that is not masked by an overbearing load of timber throughout and one I often enjoy.Once again,no knock against your blend but many people have found this rye not to be what they were expecting and sometimes are disappointed,I for one love it for what it is.

This reminds me of a tread from the loved and revered mr gilman. He was blending ORVW reserve rye with something and I was thinking STOP. PLEASE STOP. YOU ARE KILLING ME! Then I paused for reflection and wondered what would happen if you mixed a Rembrandt and a Picasso. Cool idea but I like my Rembrandt (digital copy) just the way it is.

While I am of the camp that HW21 is a great rye in its own right, I'm also of the opinion that it was intended to be blended in some fashion. You can't go wrong either way...

This pains me. I think it's a great whiskey. While you might enjoy the blend, I can't help but think how special/limited this bottling was. I wish more Barton Rye was available - high proof and/or long aging would be great to see, too.

As booker noe would say "you can drink it any damn way you like"

But i would add "but don't expect me to drink it like that" to his statement.

HW 21 is one of the best ryes I have tried.

As booker noe would say "you can drink it any damn way you like"

But i would add "but don't expect me to drink it like that" to his statement.

HW 21 is one of the best ryes I have tried.

I second this. And for further perspective- I saw a place in town selling HW 21 rye for $38 shot. It was the most expensive thing on the menu... now if you really want to blend it with a $20 bottle, that's up to you :skep:

I mean hey, I wouldn't ever do it, but if that's how you got the best enjoyment out of these two bottles then more power to ya!

ETA: I should say I would never do it sober. Ive committed far bigger crimes than this against whiskey drunk!

Look fellas, it's not like I dumped the two bottles together. I enjoy it on its own (and polished about half of the bottle that way).

I disagree that it will be 21 years before we see a similar product. It will be longer than that. I would be shocked if any distiller was putting juice in used barrels for a 21 year aging project. It will only happen again by happenstance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.