Good Place to Shop in Louisville

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I may get in trouble for revealing this 'secret.' When people ask about where to shop in Kentucky, everybody knows Liquor Barn, Cork n'Bottle, and Party Source, but most people don't mention Old Town Wine and Spirits in Louisville. It's not a huge store, but it's in a cool part of town, the people there are great, they know their stuff, and since they're mostly shopped by locals, they may actually have things on the shelf that disappear from Liquor Barn on day one. I can't say that for sure, but can vouch for the rest. They're worth checking out.

Next time i see a nugget like this i'm heading straight there form work. Seems Chuck was spot on this time based on social media. I only wonder if there was a secret handshake or signal, or if they kept that BTAC out on the shelf.

A Highlands institution. If you stop by, you can walk across the street to Seviche for a fantastic cocktail and a world class meal.

Let's not forget Evergreen Liquors.

I mentioned that in another thread. Great store, great barrel picks. It's a shame what they had to go through last year with the PVW release, they're good people and shouldn't have to deal with that.

post-8672-1448981966479_thumb.jpg

I mentioned that in another thread. Great store, great barrel picks. It's a shame what they had to go through last year with the PVW release, they're good people and shouldn't have to deal with that.

[ATTACH]16424[/ATTACH]

I missed that somehow - can you provide a link to that thread?

[ATTACH]16424[/ATTACH]

This sounds like a story that needs to be a told in a new thread, would like to hear what happened.

Not much of a story, they just got tired of rude customers and the phone ringing non-stop. One of the older guys told me a lady demanded six cases of 23 year and then cussed him out when he told her that wasn't possible. It's a shame, they've been in the business for something like sixty or seventy years.

Not much of a story, they just got tired of rude customers and the phone ringing non-stop. One of the older guys told me a lady demanded six cases of 23 year and then cussed him out when he told her that wasn't possible. It's a shame, they've been in the business for something like sixty or seventy years.
6 cases of PVW 23 would be over $15,000. It's a shame that that this happens. Pappy is good not that good. End of thread drift. Bardstown has a couple of nice stores

I don't know Evergreen as well as I do some others but they've always had a good reputation.

Agreed, Chuck. Evergreen is anice store that makes some great barrel picks and has a friendly staff. I think in this case, the were beaten constantly for weeks over BTAC, and the PVW wave that followed was the final straw. I expect to see more retailers of the same size will follow suit with a voluntary rejection to carry the super premium, big name brands. It's not worth the hassle on their side, not in Louisville. Craft beer is the cash cow here. I get more things sent back from other states than I can buy locally.

The bright side, is retailers like Party Mart have moved to lottery sales. You show up on time, put your name in, and the bottles go one by one as names are drawn. Very few people walk away empty handed (they might not get what they came for, but they have something) and the prices are at MSRP. I've easily purchased VWFRR twice with this system.

I don't know Evergreen as well as I do some others but they've always had a good reputation.

I've grabbed a couple of barrel selections from evergreen that were very good.

I can relate to them with the PVW fiasco/gold rush and the never ending phone calls.

But I will also say that there is zero chance they no longer receive any PVW.

They just don't sell any to the public.

Works two ways, your employees don't have to give long explanations when people inquire AND your good customers that do get offered bottles feel like UBER-VIPS.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say i had a great first experience at Evergreen last week. Swung by while in the area to check it out. Found some W12 and a very helpful staff member. Not much in the line of barrel selections but i assume they'd have more as the KBF and holidays roll around. Super fair prices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.