Bourbon infusion?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone else here mess about with infusing bourbons for cocktails? I am partial to a bourbon bloody mary and find a bottle of WT101 left in a warm place for a few weeks with a couple birds eye chillis (stems chopped off) jammed in the bottle makes for an interesting experience. What else could work?

I don't make many cocktails, but I have played around with different infusions. My favorite so far is peanut/peanut butter - best of both worlds. A few cacoa nibs will also add color and a bitter, dark chocolate note.

Good ideas, peanuts, JBB and blueberries who woulda thought!

Im workin on an idea for preserved lemons using makers mark and whole cloves for making whiskey sours, im imagining a flaming lemon peel curl being extinguished into the glass as a garnish

Tonight I loaded a few mason jars with:

- bourbon w/ habanero pepper and garlic

- rye w/ habanero and cashews

At the very least I used up some habaneros from the garden.

Tonight I loaded a few mason jars with:

- bourbon w/ habanero pepper and garlic

- rye w/ habanero and cashews

At the very least I used up some habaneros from the garden.

I'VE PUT UP SOME CHERRIES IN A JAR. I'll LET THEM GO FOR A WHILE AND DRY THEM OUT TO PUT IN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, OR DIP IN REALLY GOOD Chocolate for X-mas gifts

GANBEI

Did a "bacon washed" EW Black for bacon/maple Old Fashioneds. Different and delicious for tailgating especially early games. Like breakfast in a glass.

I love bourbon, and I love garlic. But I cringe reading that. I hope that works out better than I envision it. I want it to work out better than I envision it.

Sadly you were correct. I made the mistake of searching for ways to use habanero, saw a Vodka infusion and thought...."close enough". Yah, not close enough.

Hey, you don't enjoy life without making a few mistakes along the way. This one just happened to smell like fire and death.

Every Christmas, I'll dump some candy canes in a half bottle of bourbon. Shake it up a bit, let it sit for a day or so, and it makes for a nice little sipper on a chilly December evening. S'pose I could concoct some kind of cocktail out of this...

Every Christmas, I'll dump some candy canes in a half bottle of bourbon. Shake it up a bit, let it sit for a day or so, and it makes for a nice little sipper on a chilly December evening. S'pose I could concoct some kind of cocktail out of this...

Or just throw in a little good chocolate. Mmm

• 2 months later...

Well, made my yearly candy came infused bourbon last night. AAA 10 Star. The 10 star has a bit of young spice to it, so I think the pairing should work well.

Maybe take a little Kevin's suggestion and eat some chocolate with it. :yum:

I saw there is book out there (Amazon) with some infusion recipe's for all sorts of spirits. It made my Christmas list, so we see if I have been a good boy.

I like instruction for a while before I venture off path on my own. I will let you all know if the book is good. Unless I was deemed naughty this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly you were correct. I made the mistake of searching for ways to use habanero, saw a Vodka infusion and thought...."close enough". Yah, not close enough.

Hey, you don't enjoy life without making a few mistakes along the way. This one just happened to smell like fire and death.

I keep a bottle of habanero infused tequila around to make margaritas. They are great.

Tried this the other night and it is great. Even my step-daughter who doesn't like bourbon or peppermint liked it.

• 4 weeks later...

At my bar, we infuse Rittenhouse with Pu-Erh tea, which is a fermented varietal. It's quite nice, and provides a terrific base to create from.

• 5 months later...

I am thinking of doing a series of small batch infusions in the near future. As we all know some bourbon's have very distinctive tastes and profiles that could be paired really well with targeted ingredients for great infusions. I do not want to spend that kind of time right now.

What I am looking for is a decent, non-distinct flavor, well rounded and affordable bourbon to use in a series 375 ml infusions. Right now I am think MM, EW Black or BT. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thank you in advance.

I am thinking of doing a series of small batch infusions in the near future. As we all know some bourbon's have very distinctive tastes and profiles that could be paired really well with targeted ingredients for great infusions. I do not want to spend that kind of time right now.

What I am looking for is a decent, non-distinct flavor, well rounded and affordable bourbon to use in a series 375 ml infusions. Right now I am think MM, EW Black or BT. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Evan Williams Black label is my first choice as well. It should add Bourbon character without being covered up by the other components.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.