Whistle Pig Boss-Hog

Dolph Lundgren
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They changed the recipe and the country recently (MGPI) haven't heard if it hitting the shelves yet

It only acquires that label after it's in the bottle. It's just another whiskey up to that point.

That was the reason Dave Pickerel gave for sourcing the whisky from Canada, that he had found "the best Rye in the World" and only the best was good enough for WP.

Of course MGP arguably produces the best 95% rye.

That was the reason Dave Pickerel gave for sourcing the whisky from Canada, that he had found "the best Rye in the World" and only the best was good enough for WP.

Of course MGP arguably produces the best 95% rye.

They also arguably produce the worst! One of the problems of being a category of one...

Oh don't rain on my parade man, the clouds have passed, the Sun is shining and I'm in a glass half full sort of mood.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a giant pour last night at a place called Golden Brown Delicious (it's a fried chicken/donut/whiskey/craft beer thing, and it's just awesome). At first, I got deep butterscotch notes, followed by the familiar Whistlepig/Jefferson's 100% rye funk, along with a strong note of hairspray. I liked it a lot and I'm very happy I tasted it.

However, there's no way I'm paying $150+ for a bottle. I'm one of those "there's a new bottle on the shelf and I need to know what it tastes like and I can't sleep and aaaaaaaargggh" kind of guys. Well, if you're like me, don't worry about this one, because very little is added by the cask strength and single barrel aspects. It's just the same notes as regular Whistlepig, with perhaps less wood and more butterscotch.

I had a giant pour last night at a place called Golden Brown Delicious (it's a fried chicken/donut/whiskey/craft beer thing, and it's just awesome). At first, I got deep butterscotch notes, followed by the familiar Whistlepig/Jefferson's 100% rye funk, along with a strong note of hairspray. I liked it a lot and I'm very happy I tasted it.

However, there's no way I'm paying $150+ for a bottle. I'm one of those "there's a new bottle on the shelf and I need to know what it tastes like and I can't sleep and aaaaaaaargggh" kind of guys. Well, if you're like me, don't worry about this one, because very little is added by the cask strength and single barrel aspects. It's just the same notes as regular Whistlepig, with perhaps less wood and more butterscotch.

I agree that it is hard to justify the cost for Cask strength and 2-3 more years but I found it to be head, shoulders and sternum as well above the regular stuff. The butterscotch/sweet note alone is more pronounced and it also has tons more mouthfeel and depth. A touch of water (and you get to choose how much, unlike the standard piggy) only serves to open it up further. Closer to $100-110 and this might be a semi regular pour for me. It is what I hoped the LSB would be but didn't quite live up to.

I agree that it is hard to justify the cost for Cask strength and 2-3 more years but I found it to be head, shoulders and sternum as well above the regular stuff. The butterscotch/sweet note alone is more pronounced and it also has tons more mouthfeel and depth. A touch of water (and you get to choose how much, unlike the standard piggy) only serves to open it up further. Closer to $100-110 and this might be a semi regular pour for me. It is what I hoped the LSB would be but didn't quite live up to.

Spot on about the mouthfeel. As soon as I pressed "post", I realized that I had left that out. I didn't add water - what a shame!

I guess my main point is that, if you want essentially a perfect version of Whistlepig, this is your guy, but it's not (to me, anyway) a fundamentally different taste experience.

• 8 months later...

Anyone heard or tried the new(?) 13 year old release of Boss Hog or seen a price? My guy just got a couple in and guessing at the price I'm hesitating.

Anyone heard or tried the new(?) 13 year old release of Boss Hog or seen a price? My guy just got a couple in and guessing at the price I'm hesitating.

Shouldn't you just ask your guy what his price is? :skep:

I was hearing the new piggy was going to be 14yo. But have not seen either a 13 or 14 yet.

I was hearing the new piggy was going to be 14yo. But have not seen either a 13 or 14 yet.

I took a ride at lunch to see it and it's definitely 13 yr old and it was priced at $170

1011249_10152304678091594_3561827025002709694_n.jpg?oh=e3658d063852afdd758421908ddaf60f&oe=54C16D16

It's damn good! Not saying I'll buy a bottle ('cause I won't:grin:), but I love this stuff at cask strength.

I will resist the temptation this time!

I would like to resist the temptation this time.

We will see how long I am able to resist the temptation this time...

:banghead:

X2^^^^^^padpadpad

I saw the new release on a couple store shelves. Maryland SBers, feel free to PM me if you want to know where I found it. I pass WP up for the same reason I pass their other stuff up: if I can't trust them to tell the truth about where their whiskey is from, I also don't see why I should trust them not to put artificial flavoring or coloring in it.

Of course added flavorings and coloring agents are traditional in Canadian whiskys. That's not to say all Canadians have them, but they are allowed and not required to be listed on the label.

Of course added flavorings and coloring agents are traditional in Canadian whiskys. That's not to say all Canadians have them, but they are allowed and not required to be listed on the label.
And there we have the crux of the issue. Who is making sure this sourced Canadian whisky that's trucked across the border and tanked in Vermont or wherever is actually straight rye whiskey, which is what the label claims Boss Hog is? Or is Boss Hog from somewhere else? Too many questions for my comfort.

Edit: that's not to disparage Canadian whisky. There's nothing wrong with it at all. Just feel like WP is super shady. But I guess that's been done to death, sorry to beat a dead horse.

Edited by garbanzobean

4 days and counting with no purchase so far. I even saw it on the shelf. Might be a record for me!

Although I broke down in another area so I really have no shame...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.