Southern Belle Red

Colonel Duke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm sure plenty of you have heard and may have even tasted the Southern Belle Shiraz which was aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels, but does anyone here have any experience with the Southern Belle red wine?

I picked up a bottle tonight, and haven't been able to find anything about it online. I was looking for the Shiraz, but found this. Bottle says it's from Spain and is a 2011 vintage that weighs in a little over 16 percent alcohol.

That links says it is Jumilla. Jumilla produces a few decent bottles, but most of what the region produces tends to be bulk wine. I am guessing that the lack of info and need for a gimmicky finish means it is bulk (i.e. cheap table wine). If you are interested in a good Spanish wine, go grab a nice Reserva/Gran Reserva Rioja or Ribera del Duero.

I tried it when a rep brought it in. It wasn't the worst wine a rep has brought in. But it wasn't a great value either. If it was a $12 retail, I would have brought it in. But at $20ish, it's in a crowded price point for an average wine.

According to my wine salesman brother in-law, the winery that released the Van Winkle finished Shiraz went out of business. I think there is a story behind his failure, so I will have to ask him over dinner today.

My brother is law, for all of his quirks, is damn sharp when it comes to wine. I asked him what the deal was with R Wines and he rattled off the names of the principals (Ringland and Philips) and said that there was a real mess with the downturn leaving some big unpaid bills in Australia and he's now selling wine out of Spain.

Here's a Wine Spectator article from 2010 about the financial problems. http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/43140

I've held on to most of the case of the original Shiraz that I bought and I'm itching to open another bottle soon. It goes great with hearty foods like beef stew or pot roast and is definitely a Winter wine for me.

It's disappointing if the version out of Spain isn't up to the earlier release.

• 5 weeks later...

I cracked my bottle recently and really enjoy this one. Like MyOldKyDram I don't know much about wine, but this one tastes great, and has the Pappy pedigree. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Opened a bottle of this tonight and boy is it hot. The alcohol aside, it tastes rather thin and one dimensional to me. To be brutally honest I think this one's gonna get poured down the drain. I hate to do it with a $20 bottle but oh well. :(

Opened a bottle of this tonight and boy is it hot. The alcohol aside, it tastes rather thin and one dimensional to me. To be brutally honest I think this one's gonna get poured down the drain. I hate to do it with a $20 bottle but oh well. :(

I wasn't that impressed when I tasted it. Lots of great Syrah/Shiraz at that price point.

There is a reason bourbon barrels aren't used in wine aging.

The one I've found (off the top of my head) that I like is Wildside's BBR out of Versailles, the KY one. One of the few KY wines I've had I could actually stomach, truthfully.

The one I've found (off the top of my head) that I like is Wildside's BBR out of Versailles, the KY one. One of the few KY wines I've had I could actually stomach, truthfully.

We sell a ton of KY wine so I can't knock it but most is way to sweet for this guy. Not to mention there are 70+ wineries in KY. Only a few grow any fruit.

I thought dollars were their main crop Eric.

Everyone is selling some form of widget.

Sweet wines have a place in the wine market. Just as GNS has a place in the whiskey world. Purists don't like it but the sales and accounting departments do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.