Dickel 12

Bluffhunter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried it and wasnt impressed, I know its not bourbon but like standard BT much better. I will retry again though as I do have a cold and my nose is off so that may have affected things; but on sale for $19.99 and a $5 rebate I sure didnt invest much if it turns out i dont like it on the next go around.

After reading so many good things about Dickel, in 2012 I bought 2 of every iteration I could find. I have yet to open any, always finding one reason or another to conclude "next summer" will be best for a Tennessee whiskey tastefest. Once it finally happens, I plan to open all the Dickel, JD, Jailers, and all other such whiskies I've got and try them blind with anyone I can recruit to assist.

After reading the recommendations here, I bought a bottle of GD12 and enjoyed it quite a bit. But I found it to have a woodiness to it that stood out. Later I bought a bottle of of HH 4 year(gold/black label) and HH 6year (white label) to do a head to head comparison. The 4 year had the same woody flavor profile as the Dickel. It was the first thing that came to mind when I tasted the HH. The 6 year however, doesn't have that taste at all. I like the GD12 and the HH 4 year but I find the 6 year to be "smoother" and to have what I consider more flavor.

Yeah, Dickel uses a blanket (or did, presume they still do) in the leeching vat which I believe is a filter for minute particles of charcoal. Daniels does something similar but I've forgotten what.

Either way works to produce a lighter, preaged spirit that's ready to bottle after 4-5 years in the barrel. Frankly I think that's also a limiting factor in that the whisky doesn't lend itself to aging much past 6 years and 8 is pushing it.

Have you been able to try the 9 and 14 year old GD? If not it might surprise you. I think it holds up quite well. Of course as I see mentioned on here a lot YMMV.

Have you been able to try the 9 and 14 year old GD? If not it might surprise you. I think it holds up quite well. Of course as I see mentioned on here a lot YMMV.

i second that. grab one squire, I seriously doubt youd be disappointed in it. I think the only way the 9/103 could be better is perhaps if it were 9/110.

Id love to try the 14 year, but you guys know how I feel about $65 whiskey

Guys, my impressions are based on decades long familiarity with the brand, specifically the 10 year old put out as part of the Bourbon Heritage Collection about 20 years ago and the earlier 9+ year old (will have to look that up) Barrel Select that followed. Not disappointing mind you, just found the scent of the rose a bit faded.

Frankly, the older I get the more I appreciate the vibrancy of younger expressions that are balanced and not overshadowed by oak.

I dont find the 9 year to be 'woody' at all. But, maybe its just the barrel that my store selected that was this good. Ive heard others have nothing good at all to say about their store's selection.

I dont like 'woody' either. To me, ECBP was far too woody, and a WFE 10 year was about the same. That may give you an idea of what I consider to be too woody in comparison.

Hey guys, I too have been looking at the dickels, but have not pulled the trigger as of yet, all I see around here is the 12 & 8, what's the difference? These #'s don't actually stand for the age do they? Which one would you suggest out of the 2 for a first taste of this stuff?

I would recommend the 12. Its a little older and a little higher proofed (90 instead of 80). The numbers are meaningless on those, similar to old no7 for JD. The Hand Selected barrel bottles are 9 years and 14 years old respectively and state so on the barrel. They are also higher proofed at 103 and 106 respectively.

ive never had dickel 8, just the 12, the 9 year, and the rye.

the 8 and 12 are not age statements.

I like Dickel 12, but it's main flaw to me is that the proof is a bit too low, hence the reason Ive never bothered getting a Dickel 8 to try, as D8 is 80 proof versus 90 on the D12.

To me, at least, I find a strong resemblance between D12 and the 9 year 103 proofer. The 9 year has the proof that the #12 lacks, and all the flavor is intensified in the 9 year......so, if you try D12 and like it but want a 'concentrated' version, grab the 9 year.

Even better if you know others locally who may have tried the local store's pick and can tell you about it, or offer you a sample

You didn't ask but the other Dickel is Red Label Cascade Hollow which at three years and 80 proof has the distinction of being the highest priced bottom shelf whisky in my local.

I think I will get the 12 ,never seen any of the higher proof stuff around here, if I get the 12 I can compare it to an old mini that I have it must be from the late 60's .. early 70's .. it does have a bit of sediment floating around.It would be a good one for the old vs. new thread.

post-10789-14489820460967_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I don't think you can go wrong with the Dickel 12, especially considering the price.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Dickel 12, especially considering the price.

only the proof is the downside to D12. 100 would be just right. Try the 9 year and see for yourself!

Wasn't a huge fan of the D12. Just grabbed my second bottle of Dickel 9 though. That stuff grew on me somethin' fierce by the last pour. It would be close to a standard pour for me if it was $15 cheaper. As it is, it'll be relegated to the "special occasion" shelf of my cabinet.

Fox, just so you know the Dickel 9 in Lex LBarn is 45.99.

Fox, just so you know the Dickel 9 in Lex LBarn is 45.99.

sweeeeeet.

Ill be padding the bunker with more, providing the '14 batch is as good as the '13. I graduate next week, I'll have to put the word out....

• 1 year later...

Finally bought a Dickel 12 last Friday night and tasted Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I found that "vitamin" note right away in the first drink, but it seemed to change as that drink went on, as if it were fighting to integrate and turn into something else. I played around with a little water and breathing time a bit Saturday and Sunday and ended up with a drink on Sunday that was showing great smoky wood and BBQ spice notes that were really singing to me. And I didn't notice vitamin at all (though the similarities were such that I am sure it was that same note just having transformed).  I didn't make good enough notes to be able to re-create all of the environmental elements so I will have to go back to that and be a little more careful. But I'm hoping that I'll be able to unlock the key to free those scents and flavors on a regular basis. It took the Dickel 12 from a ho-hum buy, to be something special for the shelf. Not necessarily for every day, but when I want those BBQ and smoke hints with the sweet corn, I haven't found anything yet that does it better. May need to invest in the 9 year if i can get those flavors intensified.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.