Whistlepig CEO is whiskey idiot and proves it

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Gary - It's required to say it as Product Type, not just somewhere on the label. In that picture, it says Straight Rye. Here is image of Angel's Envy which is labeled correctly.

post-334-14489820525012_thumb.jpg

Also products like Angel's Envy and Red Stag are classified by the TTB as class type 641 - Whiskey Specialties.

Oh okay, but if the government approved the label as I'd assume, I guess they were good with it... We've seen apparent inconsistencies before.

Gary

Don't know how it is there Gary, the only thing our government is good at is collecting taxes. Someone in authority approved the Whistlepig label though so it must have passed muster.

I think Dave Pickerell is very good at manipulating the TTB on label approvals.

Oh okay, but if the government approved the label as I'd assume, I guess they were good with it... We've seen apparent inconsistencies before.

Gary

I don't believe for second that the (our) government does it right 100% of time in anything they do.

I've watched the video numerous times. This man is definitely not a whiskey idiot. He fought through this interview and much of its inane discussion points, but I in no way sensed that he didn't know what he was talking about. There may be other warts on the Pig, but I don't think he added to them, here.

I've watched the video numerous times. This man is definitely not a whiskey idiot. He fought through this interview and much of its inane discussion points, but I in no way sensed that he didn't know what he was talking about. There may be other warts on the Pig, but I don't think he added to them, here.

This guy is no dope, no idiot. But he does annoy the heck out of me with his CEO-speak BS. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can spit. A "confidence" man for sure.

Edited by Merrymash Monk

I have an empty Whistle Pig bottle (10 yr/100 proof) that is at least a year and a half old, the back label states that is "imported from Canada". Newer bottles of Whistle Pig definitely don't say that. I wonder if they are legally required to put that on the label for imported whiskey?

Maybe they changed sources and that's why they're putting it through used Bourbon barrels, to get the flavor profile closure to that of the former source.

Sku's latest blog post about regulated whiskey terms vs undefined terms got me thinking, is "100% rye" a regulated term? I don't think it is. Sure, if you put "straight rye" on the label it has to be between 51% and 100% rye, but I think you could source any rye (say 95% rye from mgpi) and write 100% rye on the label without getting in trouble.

Yes they can and they do. I've noticed some NDPs are putting the term '100 percent American Rye' on their label which is technically correct if all the whisky in the bottle is sourced from a maker in the US. What's not true, though it's clearly implied, is the mash bill used was 100 percent rye, which it isn't.

This guy is no dope, no idiot. But he does annoy the heck out of me with his CEO-speak BS.

And there in lies the problem. 9 out of 10 CEO's I've worked for are arrogant and do you know why? Because they are smarter than anyone else, afterall they are "the CEO". Once they get to that position they just can't help themselves.

Guess Raj didn't notice the age statement on the Bullet Rye that they showed at the top of the segment. No...no real "old" ryes out there......

Raj is crazy, plain and simple. The only thing I can credit him for is picking one of the best guys in the Bourbon biz to help him start his business. As much as I dislike Raj, I have tremendous respect for Dave Pickerell.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.