Westward Oregon Single Malt Whiskey

zeeck
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My parents are visiting from Oregon, and they brought me this bottle of Westwar Oregon Small Batch Single Malt Whiskey from House Spirits Distillery as a Father's Day present. As far as I know, I can't get this stuff here. I have to start off by saying that the price is VERY prohibitive. It's $50 for a 375ml bottle. Not only that, it's only a 2 year old whiskey. So, I was skeptical, but nonetheless intrigued, as it's essentially an American version of Scotch, having a strictly barley mash bill, except aged in new barrels. Plus it was free, so I'm happy to partake and enjoy!

post-11207-14489821017189_thumb.jpg

I've only had one pour so far, immediately after opening. For such a young whiskey, it has a lot of color and flavor. It even reminded me of some more well-aged Scotches (the first comparison to come to mine was Dalwhinnie 15yr). The oak flavor stands out, but does not overpower in the least. It lacks the sweetness that may come with aging in sherry or port casks, but had a bold nuttiness to it that still made it very enjoyable. Overall I was very impressed considering how young it is, and look forward to later pours after the bottle's been open for a bit.

post-11207-14489821017189_thumb.jpg

Though, I've never had that particular whiskey, your comments as to the flavor profile remind me of some of my own. I've had a couple malts from American micro distilleries, and I have found them very acceptable. The McCarthys I had was downright terrific, I thought. Actually, did a SBS with it and Ardbeg 10, and preferred the McCarthy's. Thought it had more "guts", even. So, why can American crafts do so well with malts, but can't make a decent bourbon? Odd. Is a malt whiskey just easy to make? Is bourbon that difficult? Of course, these are my own musings, and YMMV. And, Oregon seems to have a nice little micro movement out there with their malt whiskies, BTW.

Missed your chance! It was on the table from my cabinet at the Dark Side night.

I like it but the price is rather prohibitive. I found it in Denver so I know it can be found outside of Oregon. Not sure if I have seen it here but it is the same distillery that does Aviation gin so it might be possible to get it locally if you have Aviation gin available.

Though, I've never had that particular whiskey, your comments as to the flavor profile remind me of some of my own. I've had a couple malts from American micro distilleries, and I have found them very acceptable. The McCarthys I had was downright terrific, I thought. Actually, did a SBS with it and Ardbeg 10, and preferred the McCarthy's. Thought it had more "guts", even. So, why can American crafts do so well with malts, but can't make a decent bourbon? Odd. Is a malt whiskey just easy to make? Is bourbon that difficult? Of course, these are my own musings, and YMMV. And, Oregon seems to have a nice little micro movement out there with their malt whiskies, BTW.

• 7 months later...

Got a bottle of this for Christmas and everyone really enjoyed it. She did not last long. It is indeed a bit dear on the cost/shot ratio, but a tasty treat.

They have been making this, off and on, since 2009. The first release was labeled simply "straight malt whiskey" and was priced about $45 for the 375ml. I sampled it at the distillery - it's okay, but because I can get a decent Irish or unpeated Scotch 750 for $50, I've never bought any.

I like it as well but it is mighty pricey as noted and not one I am likely to replace as a result. I think I would much rather try some of the new Westland's if I can get them. What I have had is very good, although nearly as expensive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.