MINT JULEP

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

<font size="4" face="Veranda, Helvetica, sans-serif">MINT JULEP</font>

<font size="2" face="Veranda, Helvetica, sans-serif">

8 fresh mint leaves

2 tablespoons simple syrup

1 tablespoon lime juice

3 ounces of Bourbon

crushed ice

In the bottom of a tall glass crush up the mint leaves with a spoon. Add the simple syrup

and the lime juice. Add the bourbon. Stir very gently. Fill the glass with crushed ice

and lightly stir again.

Yields: one serving

* To make simple syrup combine 1 cup of sugar with one cup of water and cook until the sugar

is completely dissolved. Chill and use. You can make extra simple syrup and store the

refrigerator.

This recipe was brought to you by "Jill's Kitchen" at Netfairway.com

</font>

Lime juice?

Are you from Virginia?

I make my juleps real simple. I go out to the garden and pick the tender tops off about 6 mint plants. I put 5 of them in the bottom of a julep glass and add 1.5 teaspoons of 10X sugar and just a tiny splash of bourbon. Then I muddle the heck out of 'em with a bent iced tea spoon I keep in the back of the silverware drawer. I fill the glass with crushed ice, dust 1/2 tsp. of 10X on top of the ice, and pour about 3 oz. of bourbon through the sugar. I stick the last mint sprig in the top and just gently bruise it, and drink the julep with that sprig resting right on top of my moustache.

From the "Southern Punch," Vol. 1, No. 1, 1863, Richmond, VA, CSA:

"Old massa! Him done dead dis three months."

"Dead! What was the matter with him? He was in fine health when I left him."

"Yes, you see, massa stranger, one of dem Virginny genman come 'long here las' year, and show'd him how to eat grass in his liquor; he like it so well he done stuck to it 'till it kill him."

Ah, Lord, what a way to go.

Lew Bryson

Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.