Remembering when......

Yalc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was sitting here kicking myself thinking about when I used to go in to my local bottle shop and find PVW (various ages) always on the shelf. The kicking part comes from not buying more when I had the chance. :hot: Saving a Pappy 15 for my daughter's wedding,that would be in another 10 years at least.

The question I have for all of you is... what should I be buying now so that I don't kick myself in the future?

My everyday is Wild Turkey 101. My premiums I have tried are Geo. T Stagg, Pappy 12, Pappy 15, T.H. Handy Rye.

Any gems in the rough I should be exploring? I love Ryes also.

Oh, I'll take those too if you got'em. :lol:

My point was only that none of us know what the next hot brand will be. And really, does it matter? Sure, the limited releases are "special". But bourbon is awesome because there are so many great bottles out there available on the shelf everywhere, everyday.

:toast:

I don't really think that someone has the "next big thing" tied up with a bow for me, just wondering if there are "Diamonds in the rough" that I should be considering. It's all good.

I still can enjoy my Rittenhouse and Wild Turkey 101 every day like you say. Thanks for replying.

That's what I'm talking about!!! Thanks

I'm on it, next visit....if they have it. South Florida can be a wasteland sometimes.

Not a specific brand , but it might be nice to buy and save a few that were barreled the same year your daughter was born. Some sort of limited release? One for the future husband and one for you? Thats my plan at least.

Had not thought of that, I will be looking for 15 yr olds next year then. Thanks for the awesome suggestion!!!

I'd squirrel away a 'cabinet full' of Heaven Hill Select Stock.... if I could find any, and if I could afford it. Just my opinion, of course.

If you search there are a couple of threads such as this that pops up over the years. You would also see how the list had changed too which is quite neat. Those threads actually have specific recommendations or guesses.

My suggestion is get and stock up on the ones that YOU like not what is trendy. Then you won't kick yourself in the future for not having what you like to drink.

For example, I really like ECBP and have stock up on that. But someone else may just hate it. Other may say Weller 12, but I can't drink that by itself but only as the SB Blend which I love. The one that is still off the shelf is Henry McKenna BIB 10 years and it still have an age statement. But if you don't like it what's the point.

Cheers

So you want to know what to hoard now that you can flip or trade later? For arguments sake, lets just say you are looking for bourbons that are underappreciated that will one day be harder to find or more expensive. Of course, you should buy something now just to hoard or hold on it.

* Weller 12 year

* Elmer T Lee

* Old Grand Dad 114

* Anything barrel proof (or 120+ proof) you can buy for less than $50 (4 Roses Single, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Knob Creek Single Barrel

* Anything 10-12 years old. I have a feeling Weller 12, Elijah Craig 12, Evan Williams Single Barrel, McKenna 10 year will be like Jim Beam Black, Old Weller Antique, Ancient Ancient Age, Very Old Barton, Eagle Rare, etc and lose age statements.

Keep multiples of what you like. If something stops being available; you have a couple. Only then there's the dilemma of when to open something that basically can't be replaced. I pay special attention to age statements and 90 or more proof. Single barrel selections can be nice. I could rationalize stocking up if somebody picked an unusually good barrel of something I like. With few exceptions, NDPs don't interest me. All the major distilleries are running at capacity making as much as they can. There will be plenty in the future.

Today's bourbon is already past the point where it would be worth hoarding. The answer is Armagnac ;)

Soonami,

Thanks for the suggestions, I am not interesting in hoarding or flipping, just keeping a nice little stockpile for my personal consumption. Wish I had seen the WT 101 Rye debacle coming, would have stocked up.

Not a specific brand , but it might be nice to buy and save a few that were barreled the same year your daughter was born. Some sort of limited release? One for the future husband and one for you? Thats my plan at least.

I bought wine of the vintage my three girls were born. Served to the head table at their weddings. Except one daughter waited too long to get married and the wine was over the hill. Should have gone with bourbon instead. But, in those days, bourbon didn't come with vintage dates.

• 2 weeks later...
Today's bourbon is already past the point where it would be worth hoarding. The answer is Armagnac ;)

Get yourself some Delord 25yr. You will be pleased, and only about $70.

• 2 years later...
On 10/13/2014 at 1:29 AM, soonami said:

So you want to know what to hoard now that you can flip or trade later? For arguments sake, lets just say you are looking for bourbons that are underappreciated that will one day be harder to find or more expensive. Of course, you should buy something now just to hoard or hold on it.

* Weller 12 year

* Elmer T Lee

* Old Grand Dad 114

* Anything barrel proof (or 120+ proof) you can buy for less than $50 (4 Roses Single, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Knob Creek Single Barrel

* Anything 10-12 years old. I have a feeling Weller 12, Elijah Craig 12, Evan Williams Single Barrel, McKenna 10 year will be like Jim Beam Black, Old Weller Antique, Ancient Ancient Age, Very Old Barton, Eagle Rare, etc and lose age statements.

Looking at old posts. Could he have been more right?

Well, Weller 12 still has its age statement, as does EWSB (though it is younger), and McKenna 10.  He said ER already had lost its age statement, which of course, it never lost in the first place.  When that was written in 2014, W12 and ETL were already tough finds, so not Nostradamus there.  OGD114 readily available.  And, KCSB is still nowhere near $50.   

Not sure he even clears the Mendoza line, actually.  

I wasn't purchasing bourbon in 2014 so I wasn't really aware they were already hard to find. Though Elijah is Nas, Evan Williams single as you stated is getting younger and younger, we had a pretty good ogd 114 scare, and the jury is still kind of out on some of the others.

So like I said wasn't into the good stuff in 2014. From you response Im guessing  that it must have been pretty common knowledge amongst members that things were headed to where they are today?

24 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

From you response Im guessing  that it must have been pretty common knowledge amongst members that things were headed to where they are today?

Yes.

As Joe said, Weller 12 and ETL were already impossible to find on a shelf (with the possible exception of Weller 12 still being available in Texas back then which is no longer true now).

Of all the other predictions, only EC losing its age statement and ECBP & 4R PS getting more expensive have come true.

The writing was on the wall and some of us were bunkering ECBP and 4RPS and others because we saw the coming scarcity of certain brands/ages. I bunkered ECBP because I knew prices were on the rise. I bunkered 4R PS's because I knew age statements were going to come down and that prices would go up. There are other examples.

Guys like Joe have been doing this a lot longer and already had well stocked bunkers of long since extinct products so I'm not sure how compelled he's been to bunker anything in the past few years. He can answer that.

Still though, as Joe is wont to say, there is still quite a bit of great high quality bourbon out there at a fair price hiding in plain sight amidst all the NDP crap that's littering the shelves.

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

Yes.

As Joe said, Weller 12 and ETL were already impossible to find on a shelf (with the possible exception of Weller 12 still being available in Texas back then which is no longer true now).

Of all the other predictions, only EC losing its age statement and ECBP & 4R PS getting more expensive have come true.

The writing was on the wall and some of us were bunkering ECBP and 4RPS and others because we saw the coming scarcity of certain brands/ages. I bunkered ECBP because I knew prices were on the rise. I bunkered 4R PS's because I knew age statements were going to come down and that prices would go up. There are other examples.

Guys like Joe have been doing this a lot longer and already had well stocked bunkers of long since extinct products so I'm not sure how compelled he's been to bunker anything in the past few years. He can answer that.

Still though, as Joe is wont to say, there is still quite a bit of great high quality bourbon out there at a fair price hiding in plain sight amidst all the NDP crap that's littering the shelves.

Thanks for the response. I find all of it so interesting (especially opinions from the veterans) and it's neat to look back at some of the older topics/posts. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.