Bomberger's Whiskey

KyleCBreese
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't heard anything about this new whiskey on the site, so I figured I would post. I was offered a bottle today for $57. It's a blend of 2 and a half year MGP bourbon and 3 year McKenzie rye. They are very upfront about the source of the whiskey, which is a breath of fresh air, but I don't think I can pay that much for 2.5 year old NDP whiskey at 86 proof.

http://www.bombergersdistillery.com/whiskey/

That's darn near twice the price of the McKenzie Rye which is dumbed down in this blend with ordinary MGP in undisclosed proportions, all wrapped up in a bottle as pretty as J.R. Ewing's.

Rebuilding the historic Bomberger distillery is a laudable goal but they didn't send a check when I was doing additions so I won't be contributing to their building fund.

I've got some buddies who are casual whiskey drinkers that will buy random whiskey they don't know about, but it doesn't happen much for bottles north of $40, really no idea who would buy something this unknown and this young for that much. *shrugs*

At this point, are these new guys really trying or are they just throwing Spaghetti at the wall and hoping it sticks.

I think we have to hit a point where unless you have some sort of long term contract in place to purchase barrels to keep your price stable, the price to get in the NDP game has to be getting to a point that it's going to be hard to put a sourced whiskey, bourbon, rye . . . on the market at a sellable price for whats in the bottle.

Who knows but they've got the blueprint down, design the package, get a good story (borrowed or made up), source the product then price and promote it as a high end special.

Got to admit though, reviving the old Bomberger distillery is an exciting prospect but the place would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Of course if they can cash in on the history using sourced whisky that may prove quite profitable without ever buying bricks or mixing mortar.

They also hired Dick Stoll do work on the blending.

Didn't they also have to rush a product to market for legal reasons to keep the fight going for the name Bomberger's?

If so, I can see additional costs associated with that. As has been mentioned, their disclosure has been above board.

If I saw a bottle of this I'd buy it and give them the benefit of the doubt.

More for Dick Stoll's involvement in the blending than anything else.

I hope they manage to get a distillery going again.

Very interesting. I'd guess the mingling may produce a "mash bill" similar to Michter Original Sour Mash (38% rye, 50% corn, rest barley malt). However, the Michter's would have been older. Stoll's involvement certainly adds a lot. The price is very high though. Not sure what the strategy is, perhaps the high-end NYC restaurant-bar scene and the high end liquor stores like Park Avenue are the target.

I hope they get the distillery up and running because then Stoll could duplicate very closely the different whiskies made at the original Michter.

Time will tell.

Gary

I may be getting jaded, and I probably am, but it just strikes me as odd that they're selling a blend of Indiana whiskey with New York whiskey to help promote the legacy of Pennsylvania distilling, when at least one other distiller (Dad's Hat) is making its own stuff right there in PA, albeit on smaller scale.

I may be getting jaded, and I probably am, but it just strikes me as odd that they're selling a blend of Indiana whiskey with New York whiskey to help promote the legacy of Pennsylvania distilling, when at least one other distiller (Dad's Hat) is making its own stuff right there in PA, albeit on smaller scale.

I hope they get the distillery up and running because then Stoll could duplicate very closely the different whiskies made at the original Michter.

All vert true.

I hope Mr. Stoll is lending more than his name to the project but the gentlemen would be 80 years old by now and it would be uncommon for a man of his years being hands on at a new as yet to be built distillery. Also, reproducing Michter's is much more than copying a mashbill. They would have to duplicate the stills down to the last detail and lay hands on the unique strain of Beam family yeast Mr. Everett used to develop the original distillate.

Stoll was also on hand to give advice to Tom and Liane when Tom's Foolery started their bourbon production.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.