A bizarre, unlooked-for success

LewBryson
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I roasted a chicken for dinner today. My mom taught me to always stuff SOMETHING in the cavity to soak up the grease, so when I saw I didn't have any bread handy, I grabbed a box of Honey-nut Cheerios and poured in about a cup and a half. Then without even thinking, I poured in about 5 ounces of Evan Williams. I've been adding bourbon to roasted meats lately with good success. I even pulled up the skin and poured a capfull in on each side. What the hell, I figured, the alcohol will cook off, right?

Well, actually, not. I hadn't intended to serve or even taste the resultant mess, but it smelled so damned GOOD I got a spoon and dipped up some of the hot, moist O's. They were delicious, extra-terrestrial, and the deeper I got into the bird, the more obviously alcoholic they were. I don't know if this was because the cavity of the bird contained the vapors, or if they were sufficiently locked in by the cereal, but they were definitely NOT gone. I was almost embarrassed to be eating bourbon-soaked Cheerios liberally laced with roast chicken drippings, but I couldn't help myself.

I told the rest of the bass section about this at choir practice tonight, and their concensus was that I should figure out a way to do it without having to roast a chicken!

Will I repeat this? Probably not, but it has potential as a basis for further experimentation. Wonder what the good people at Heaven Hill would think of it?

Lew Bryson

Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Lew,

You are sick, sick, sick. Even normal people know to stuff a bird with Lucky Charms or Count Chocula before puttin' in the juice.

Regards,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com Staff

Count Chocula, huh? Hmmm... Might want to try Cocoa Puffs, and save the Count Chocula for the candied yams.

IGOR!! TO THE KITCHEN!!

Lew Bryson

Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.