A. Fuente and Elijah Craig 18

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today was such a divine day and I just wanted to celebrate the end of it with something special, because I dont think there are going to be many more evenings this enjoyable this year. So walking home from the library I decided that tonight would be my second stab at this cigar thing. Conveinently, one of the few places in town that sells cigars is on the walk home. They happened to have just recieved shipment of some A. Fuesnte Gran Reserva Rothchilds ($3.80 each, $4.07 with tax), and they seemed in much better condition than the cigars in the other store I had check out so I decided to give one a try. And upon Jeff's suggestion, I decided to pair it up with Elijah Craig 18 year (in a white wine glass, as my curiosity was piqued by that glassware thread. . .) and head out onto the back porch.

A good combination it is! Jeff was quite right the cigar rounds out EC 18 quite a bit, and it tastes much more like a "real" bourbon, with burnt sugar, vanilla, and tobacco flavors. Also he was right about it bringing the menthol taste (something I get in almost all heaven hill bourbon) to the forefront, in an extremely pleasant way. I am starting to wonder in EC 18 is bourbons answer to The Dalmore Cigar Malt , thats how much my appreciation for this bourbon grew.

The cigar itself seemed mild and woody at first (like a campfire on a cold autumn evening), and got spicier during the last 1/3. I had a little trouble keeping the burn even though I think that may have more to do with the fact that I am new at this and do not have a good lighter than the quality of the cigar. Once I got it evened out it took care of itself. The cigar seemed a little less complicated than the Partagas I tried for my first cigar, although thats a good thing in this case as the EC 18 was more than complicated enough for both of them. Overall I think this was a very pleasant experience and it capped off this great day off quite well.

I think I am going to have to find a Hemmingway now. . .

Tom bandit.gifC

Great post Tom, glad you enjoyed the combination. You really can't go wrong with anything Fuente, and the Hemmingways are the logical next step for you. I don't think I will ever drink EC18 again without a cigar, as this is when it is at it's best.

BTW, if you aren't already, make sure you "toast" the foot of your cigar slightly before drawing on it. This helps to ensure an even burn. bandit.gif

BTW, if you aren't already, make sure you "toast" the foot of your cigar slightly before drawing on it. This helps to ensure an even burn

What do you mean exactly??

TomC

Lighting a cigar is not like lighting the tip of a cigarette or the wick of a candle--it takes longer. Light your cigar the same way you would toast a marshmallow over a campfire--keep the cigar above and near the flame, but don't let them touch. Burning a cigar directly in a flame makes it too hot. And, as with a marshmallow, you'll want to rotate the cigar so all parts of its tip are equally heated. Be patient, and keep at it until there's a glowing ring all the way around the cigar's tip. Once the cigar is lit, gently blow on the embers to create a smooth, completely rounded ash.

Then, raise the unlit end of the cigar to your mouth and take the first puff. The question is, which way to puff? Many aficionados blow the first puff out through the cigar in order to avoid unsavory flavors such as sulfur from matches or gasses from lighters. No one, of course, should ever apply more than one outward puff.

I "borrowed" the above from an article in CigarAfficionado. It really does make a difference in the taste and burn. Hope this helps.

DoubleBlank

I know Tom will thank you as well, but thanks! lol.gif I had no idea what Jeff was talking about either, just didn't want to ask. I'd be on board with ya' on this cigar thing Tom but Stacy will not have any of it. She lets me do so many other things though I won't push the issue.

Understandable. I figured there were other people out there that had the same questions, and what better place to ask than among friends!!

TomC

Tom

Thanks for asking. My toes were getting warm.

If the end you light is the foot, can we assume the other end is the head?

Hey look at this Cigar Terminology bandit.gif, a whole list of terms.

Now, to find cigars that are Hecho Y Mano from Vuelta Abajo.

bandit.gif

Interesting, left to my own devices I would have thought the head was what you light and the foot where you draw from. That listing is helpful!

TomC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.