BOTM 11/14: Maker's Mark Cask Strength

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After a few times back to it, I like it. $35 for the half bottle at Total Wine in Texas. Doesn't stand above other great options to me. No regrets getting to try it for $35. Very good but i wouldn't choose it over all the other $40-45 750ml high proof options IMH(newbie)O.

I have (had) three bottles. All from different areas; one from Texas, one from Chicago and one from Indy but all the same batch (#14-02) obtained from late December through mid-February. Based on an earlier post in this thread, there appears to have been, at least, 6 batches released so far. Can anyone confirm this along with the associated proofs? Are folks finding consistency batch to batch?

Does anyone have any idea how many bottles are typically released per batch? It would also be interesting to know the batch # of the big shipment to K&L last Fall. I ask these questions because it seems that there have been several batches of a supposed allocated product released over a relatively short period of time, 6 months or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I like wheaters and MM is a comfortable old friend of mine (but I find the 46 a tad woody). I'm fine with ordering MM when choices are limited, but it's become too comfortable for me these days as I seek more pizzazz in my pours. So I was eager to give MMCS a try. I was not disappointed, but I was not overwhelmed. Nice color but not much of a nose for me. Nice legs and great, rich mouth feel. Caramel notes and some wheat sweetness (but not cloyingly so). No off tastes, but I'd hoped for something more complex. More of a satisfying warmth than a burn, and a fine finish that lingers awhile. Seemed best to me sipped neat at about 100 proof. But a big price for a small bottle; $50 for a 750 (as noted above) would seem about right. And I've always found the wax annoying.

Edited by Chuckles

I really like MMCS and if it were to go into regular production, it would be nice to see sitting at your average bar. Everyone seems to carry MM so seeing this version along side would be a nice choice. But given it's price, i'm not sure I can see myself buying a 750 bottle over Booker's, RR small batch or over Blanton's for that matter.

Looks like new release of MMCS will be released in April as 750ml with msrp of $59.99. I never picked up the 375 at the asking price, may have to try it this year.

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2015 at 3:07 PM, GAbiker said:

Looks like new release of MMCS will be released in April as 750ml with msrp of $59.99. I never picked up the 375 at the asking price, may have to try it this year.

I just got a few bottles of it right at that price here in Virginia, for a 750.  I definitely like it.  It's a really interesting comparison with the OWA, seemingly with less of the smokiness and acidity, and a bit more brown sugar/butterscotch.  I need to drink more of this.

2 minutes ago, dmarkle said:

I just got a few bottles of it right at that price here in Virginia, for a 750.  I definitely like it.  It's a really interesting comparison with the OWA, seemingly with less of the smokiness and acidity, and a bit more brown sugar/butterscotch.  I need to drink more of this.

Thanks for posting.  I have really liked the previous MMCS and did not know (or notice) this was available in VA ABC stores.  Since sightings of OWA are rare in the DCMV area (some of the MD stores do get some, but I'm always late to the party), I like this even at the higher price.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.