Rocktown Distillery

kaiserhog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They are the best small distiller in the country. Their Bourbon ranks up with the best from Kentucky and Tennessee. They are even Ralfy approved!

I'm curious to try their whisky that Jim Murray named US Micro of the Year. Alas, like most of the other high raters, I can't find it anywhere.

Has anybody here had any contact with them? I wonder what their position is on whether or not additives are allowed in non-straight bourbon. I believe the TTB view is that they are not, but a lot of people lately seem to think otherwise. The age requirement for straight bourbon seems like a pretty easy hurdle to get over if they wanted to remove doubt. Wasn't Jim Murray also a fan of Templeton Rye? That said, I haven't had any whiskies that Jim Murray recommended that I thought were bad, although I haven't explored all of his suggetions.

https://www.rocktowndistillery.com/products/single-barrel-bourbon-whiskey/

Hey Danz, Phil here from Rock Town Distillery. I'm not for certain what the regulations are, but I can assure you we don't have any additives in our bourbon. It's just corn, wheat, malted barley, water, and yeast. Double distilled, aged in new charred oak. Simple as that.

Hey Danz, Phil here from Rock Town Distillery. I'm not for certain what the regulations are, but I can assure you we don't have any additives in our bourbon. It's just corn, wheat, malted barley, water, and yeast. Double distilled, aged in new charred oak. Simple as that.

Thanks for speaking up Phil, and please know that we appreciate what you guys are doing. Can you shed any light on current distribution?

Hey Phil, thanks for joining the conversation. How long do you age the Bourbon and Rye and in what size barrels? I notice the Bourbon/Rye labels do not include the word 'Straight' so any details you would like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks for speaking up Phil, and please know that we appreciate what you guys are doing. Can you shed any light on current distribution?

For the Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon, there's some in Oklahoma, Chicago, Memphis (Poplar Wine and Spirits), Nashville (Red Spirits and Wine) and Arkansas. Soon we'll be shipping orders to New Jersey and Maryland. Missouri is in the registration phase. The order for the UK should arrive in a week or so (it's on a slow boat). Not all our distributors elected to pick it up (Georgia, Florida, Texas).

Of course, we sell it at the Distillery and we're open 7 days a week for tours and tasting and bottle sales.

Hey Phil, thanks for joining the conversation. How long do you age the Bourbon and Rye and in what size barrels? I notice the Bourbon/Rye labels do not include the word 'Straight' so any details you would like to share would be appreciated.

We generally age for a little over a year primarily in 10 and 15 gallon barrels for both the Rye and Bourbon. The Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon is aged a little longer in 15 gallon barrels exclusively.

For the Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon, there's some in Oklahoma, Chicago, Memphis (Poplar Wine and Spirits), Nashville (Red Spirits and Wine) and Arkansas. Soon we'll be shipping orders to New Jersey and Maryland. Missouri is in the registration phase. The order for the UK should arrive in a week or so (it's on a slow boat). Not all our distributors elected to pick it up (Georgia, Florida, Texas).

Of course, we sell it at the Distillery and we're open 7 days a week for tours and tasting and bottle sales.

Thanks very much for letting us know. This and the other responses are great information. I will keep my eyes open in Maryland and NJ.

Not all our distributors elected to pick it up (Georgia, Florida, Texas).

Just our luck. They don't hesitate bringing in every NDP NAS "craft" bottles.

Just our luck. They don't hesitate bringing in every NDP NAS "craft" bottles.

If you are depending on logic and understanding of (not to mention a passion for) bourbon/rye/American whiskey from distributors you are in for substantial disappointment!

Some of them get it (but often aren't the ones in the position to make these kinds of choices) but I am afraid too many do not. Too often it seems like if it isn't vodka that can sell a zillion cases a month then the interest for it just isn't there. As a result the things that do show up are the slickest packaging/best marketed products (Templeton for example) or the hottest trend ("moonshine" for example) and not the ones we as whiskey nerds would typically like to see.

Which doesn't stop me from banging on them on a regular basis about getting access to certain things. I rarely have much impact but when I do it is a nice feeling!

• 2 months later...

A friend shared a bottle of the Small Batch with me last night. Different, unique, and tasty. It does taste young, but not in a bad way. I appreciated the finish on it. Nice richness, and quite drinkable without tasting thin. Im going to have a few bottles muled to FL for me. This is a micro I can support, because its a good product, and its being done the right way. If you see it, try it.

Edited by jonhalter

This fall they bring out a 4 year old straight bourbon, maybe bottled in bond. I understand it will be at least 100 proof maybe cask strength.

Edited by kaiserhog

Sorry guys, and Phil, but I just can't support Rocktown yet. I had a 375, paid $45 for it, and it was so young it gave me heartburn. This may have been from the first batches, as it was aged about 3 months if I remember correctly. It was a few years ago.

Not enjoyable enough for me to even try a second bottle. I would have to taste it again to make sure it's matured, changed, etc.

I cannot speak about their barrel aged products, however, I bought the Arkansas Lightning moonshine/white whiskey as a gift to a friend who had recently dabbled in making his own shine. The Arkansas Lighting was a bruiser, tasted like rubbing alcohol. I have since put the remainder of the bottle in with an oak stave (came with a WT 101 gift pack). It has been about 6 months and it still smells vile. Hopefully, in another 6 months I will be able to cut % down and have something drinkable. Fun science project though

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen Rocktown on the shelf in Morris County, NJ - been wondering about it - as I'm always interested in trying new things. Anyone else sampled it yet?

Sorry guys, and Phil, but I just can't support Rocktown yet. I had a 375, paid $45 for it, and it was so young it gave me heartburn. This may have been from the first batches, as it was aged about 3 months if I remember correctly. It was a few years ago.

Not enjoyable enough for me to even try a second bottle. I would have to taste it again to make sure it's matured, changed, etc.

My word, being $45 lighter for half a bottle of young whiskey is enough to give someone heartburn all by itself. Sorry to hear it was not surprisingly palatable.

I've seen Rocktown on the shelf in Morris County, NJ - been wondering about it - as I'm always interested in trying new things. Anyone else sampled it yet?
You heard wrong and this fall they will be releasing a 4 year old bottled in bond version.

I bought a bottle of a private selection of the Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon. Cask Strength @ 56.9% NAS. I plan on giving it a whirl this weekend with some friends.

Opened this up at noon and let a glass sit until 5PM. Taking a civilized sip (with my pinky out). Full strength in a Glencairn. Pretty dark in the glass. Sweet oaky nose that (I lIke) with something in common with Balcones that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it that it is young and from what smells like well charred barrels. Whatever it is, it is not a negative. Hard to pick out any dominant flavor. Definitely vanilla and pralines. I like it - very good young whiskey at barrel strength. Look forward to following the products as they get older. May need another bottle of this for the bunker.

Edit: Now 5-10 minutes after my last sip, you definitely taste the new oak barrel sweetness. In 10 years, this will be a knockout.

Edited by El Vino

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.