Laird Apple Brandy 100 proof No Longer Bonded?

ramblinman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just be aware that at that point the 12yo has very little, if any, apple character left at least to my palate. Even the 7.5yo doesn't retain much apple character. Especially if you were to try it blind against other brandies and didn't know it was an apple based brandy!

Very true. The apple was faint( or perhaps perceived by expectation) but as a rare whiskey experience it is worthwhile in my book. And $52 seems very cheap from what I remember. 

11 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

And $52 seems very cheap from what I remember. 

Agreed, I think $52 is below MSRP, which is around $65 IIRC.

11 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

Very true. The apple was faint( or perhaps perceived by expectation) but as a rare whiskey experience it is worthwhile in my book.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just be aware that at that point the 12yo has very little, if any, apple character left at least to my palate. Even the 7.5yo doesn't retain much apple character. Especially if you were to try it blind against other brandies and didn't know it was an apple based brandy!

Interesting that the apple flavor fades so much from ~4yo (BIB) to 7.5yo to 12yo. I haven't had the 12yo but I can imagine the apple is faint based on the 7.5yo. It seems as though apple flavor can take a number of different trajectories in different distillates; some become more appley as they age (this seems to be rare), some become less so, and sometimes the fresh apple flavor morphs into more of a baked apple flavor.

I found two more bottles of the BIB today at $26 each. The great NJ Lairds BIB search continues. 

• 11 months later...

I saw one sitting on the shelf at a bar in El Paso last night. I guess that don't use a lot of apple brandy here!

• 3 months later...

Bourbon Truth turned me on to this one.  Found a couple 2016 bottles of the NAS 100pf Laird's today.  Enjoyable neat. 

Really enjoying the nose opening up here; with obvious apple fruit notes but lots of other lovely things going on as well from the ex-bourbon casks. 

Much better than Applejack! Both will be fun to use in cocktails.  I'll keep on the lookout for older expressions and the BIB

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.