Higher proof, older LDI/MGP ryes?

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey all...you guys all seem to know what you're talking about, so I'm hoping you can help me out with this. I like the Bulleit rye for some things, for me primarily manhattans. Never really liked them with bourbon, but a friend made me one with bulleit, and I was sold.

My understanding is that Bulleit is 4-6 years old. Is there anybody out there who's bottling older (and preferably) higher proof MGP rye?

A lot of people seem favorable about the Old Scout, but I haven't seen that here in OR and WA. Is there anything else out there that's reasonably priced? By that I mean under $45...for reference Oregon (control) has Bulleit @ $32.

Thanks...

Hey all...you guys all seem to know what you're talking about, so I'm hoping you can help me out with this. I like the Bulleit rye for some things, for me primarily manhattans. Never really liked them with bourbon, but a friend made me one with bulleit, and I was sold.

My understanding is that Bulleit is 4-6 years old. Is there anybody out there who's bottling older (and preferably) higher proof MGP rye?

A lot of people seem favorable about the Old Scout, but I haven't seen that here in OR and WA. Is there anything else out there that's reasonably priced? By that I mean under $45...for reference Oregon (control) has Bulleit @ $32.

Thanks...

Older/higher proof MGP/LDI is a tall order outside of Smooth Ambler Old Scout or Willett bottlings. None others come to mind. The Willett 4 yr rye is higher proof (110 usually), and you might find James E Pepper 2yr at 100 proof (but 2 yrs old). The older ryes at barrel proof start getting fairly expensive if you can find them. Around Georgia, you can find some Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7-8 yr barrel proof ryes for $50 (which is a bargain IMHO!).

Welcome aboard Gr, perhaps some of our members in your area can chime in on what's available locally.

I think the latest batch of Redemption BP Rye is 7 years, but it's creeping up to the $70 range now. The 8-9 year Willett ryes are barrel proof but stupid expensive. (Around $90-$100 if the store's *not* gouging). SAOS is probably your best bet if you can find it. Their standard bottling is 99 proof but they also do barrel proof single barrels.

What amg said about Smooth Ambler barrel proof/cask strength - none of the distributors in my area had them even though the SAOS 7 yr 99 proof is readily available so I bought from a shipper. Most of them have email lists, and all have good websites. Bookmark them as specials go quickly. Other MGP/NDPs? Just don't know enough to say.

Yeah, old and barrel proof is going to be expensive. Aside from Willett and Smooth Ambler, K&L is carrying two 17 year old MGP ryes under the Taos Lightning label from KGB spirits. They are barrel proof but only 45% and $110.

Yeah, old and barrel proof is going to be expensive. Aside from Willett and Smooth Ambler, K&L is carrying two 17 year old MGP ryes under the Taos Lightning label from KGB spirits. They are barrel proof but only 45% and $110.

That sounds like it might be interesting enough to try if K&L would ship to me.

Thanks for the replies, everybody...I wasn't necessarily looking for barrel proof. Bulleit is 90, and when I said "higher proof", I was just thinking about 100, basically.

If anybody can think of an internet seller that carries the old scout rye (and ships to WA state!), I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. Or I'll just grab a bottle from Binny's the next time I go visit the folks...

Otherwise, perhaps I should just be satisfied that something I like (Bulleit) is affordable and readily available, instead of thinking that there must be something even better...

If anybody can think of an internet seller that carries the old scout rye (and ships to WA state!), I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. Or I'll just grab a bottle from Binny's the next time I go visit the folks...

Does Caskers ship to you? I think they carry it.

Steve, have you had a chance to try either? I didn't see any posts about them when I searched your blog so I presume not.

Here is a link to the post from David at K&L. I have to confess that two separate barrels managed to end up at exactly the same barrel strength of exactly 90 proof does seem to be a bit of an odd coincidence.

If one believes in that sort of thing... :shocked:

Steve, have you had a chance to try either? I didn't see any posts about them when I searched your blog so I presume not.

Not yet. I should have a review up in a few weeks.

I would think High West ryes would be available in your area and most of them have the proof you are looking for.

High West was a name I'm familiar with in passing...mostly with regards to the discussion of the Midwinter's Night Dram on this board. I'll have to go take a closer look at their regular offerings.

HW came to my mind first. Rendezvous Rye is a blend of 6yr MGP rye & 16yr (I think Barton--someone can correct me here). In Madison, WI I can still find it for ~$40, but Binny's seems to have pushed prices up to $55. MWND is essentially this finished in port barrels.

This is much better than Bulleit, and I like giving my money to HW.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.