BOTM 2/15: Stagg Jr.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I filed this review on SB in September of 2013 upon my first try of Stagg Jr.. I still feel the same about it, and continue to enjoy it. Interesting to hear that the latest batch may be toned down a bit. Not sure that will make it better for me, but I will welcome the opportunity to compare it with the first batch to see for myself.

"I had an opportunity to spend some time with this today. No, don't call this Bambi. Ruttin' Young Buck, is more like it, I think. There ain't nothin' doe eyed with skinny legs, and big eyelashes about this whiskey. If GTS is the regal and distinguished head of the BP herd, then Stagg Jr. is that young buck feeling his oats. Where GTS's monstrous qualities are seasoned with 16+ years of aging, and astute barrel selection at BT, the Stagg Jr. is just a precocious youngster ready to lock horns. He's just not his daddy, but he's not supposed to be, is he...Fiery, young, unpolished, and brash. But, as I think Sean alluded to, there are some things in this whiskey that give notice to its exquisite lineage. Nice nose, that does well with a few minutes for the heat to waft off from the glass. Then, there is some very nice brown sugar, toffee, butterscotch, and even slight cherry notes over the palate. Big rye kick throughout. The finish is rambunctious, too. One last gore from the rack.

$50? Worth every penny to me. You want to compare it unfavorably to ECBP? Fine. That's OK, and I probably won't argue with you. But, this is a fine, whiskey in itself. I'll say this, some similarly aged 4R barrel proof selections are wonderful whiskies that rightfully get a lot of love on these boards. But, I would take this Stagg Jr. over a couple of those..."

Joe, didn't you set up a blind SBS at one of our GBS get togethers of Stagg Jr, ECBP, and RRSmSB? If I recall the Stagg Jr seemed to pretty well with everyone's destroyed palate that evening.

I enjoy Stagg Jr. just fine, but have taken to gifting my first batch bottles to friends who enjoy it a little more than I do. Just gave my last bottle to a friend last night and had a few pours. Everyone has their predilections, and while I don't seek out "hot" whiskey, I have a history of enjoying, or at least tolerating, whiskies that others find to be flame throwers (WLW 2013, the "Mohawk" Willett). Unfortunately, for me, that's probably where my stance on Jr. will stay. Something I can tolerate when offered to share some with a friend. It can take a rocks glass (with rocks) in the summer, it blends well with BT in the same way ECBP and EC12 can dance, and it makes one hell of a stiff Manhattan. At the price point, I'll pull everything else in the class off the shelf before this (Booker's, ECBP, FRSB BP), and as Ryan alluded, I'm not the only one.

It's important to note that my opinions are exclusively regarding the first release, as I purchased several and have had no need to spend on subsequent releases. If someone shares a newer release with me, or a trusted friend really insists upon the quality, I will look forward to changing my tune.

Besides the first bottle of batch 1, Stagg Jr has treated me well. I'll also agree with Yeti's points above when it comes to mixing and making cocktails. I made one of the best old fashioned's I've had with Stagg Jr. It's a bit pricey but it does the job.

Besides the first bottle of batch 1, Stagg Jr has treated me well. I'll also agree with Yeti's points above when it comes to mixing and making cocktails. I made one of the best old fashioned's I've had with Stagg Jr. It's a bit pricey but it does the job.

Well, now I've got to try a Stagg Jr. Old-Fashioned!

When I first tried this juice, I was unimpressed... kept on trying it, but just too hot, then I vatted it with some AAA10,..WoW! it calmed it down nicely and to this day is one of my best vats, only have 1 bottle left of the Stagg, and 5 left of the AAA10..they will meet up again!

When I first tried this juice, I was unimpressed... kept on trying it, but just too hot, then I vatted it with some AAA10,..WoW! it calmed it down nicely and to this day is one of my best vats, only have 1 bottle left of the Stagg, and 5 left of the AAA10..they will meet up again!

We don't get AAA10 out here so I vat with either BT or OC8. Both work splendidly for the same reasons that yours does.

I had the chance to try samples of the 1st two batches and wasn't that impressed. Happened upon a Batch 3 at MSRP so I figured I'd pick it up. I think it's much better that the first two, and I like the complexities I get from my tastings. Hoping a little air with tame it down and make it exceptional.

I'm currently obsessed with batch 3. I don't usually bunker items as I typically open bottles a few hours after their purchase, but I bought 2 extra bottles this weekend. Though I love this by itself, I've had a great time vatting. 1:1 with Barterhouse or Rhetoric give them the proof they needed in the first place and you're left with delicious sweet oak and a warm long finish. I made a 1:2:1 Stagg, Old Blowhard, Weller SR for the wife and she loved it.

This is a 360 from the initial batch where the alcohol dominated. You still have the high proof, but I would never guess this is over 130 as there's just an enveloping warmth, as opposed to a rough and tumble aggressive heat.

So far I have only had batch 1. Since it's not an everyday drinker for me, it'll last me a while. Plus I have one more in the bunker, so even less likely to buy into the current batches. But since everyone seems to feel that the later batches are more approachable, I may just have to track some down.

I posted my thoughts about Stagg Jr when I originally started this thread. A little has changed since then. I did confirm that the pours of Stagg Jr I had (and liked) at a couple of local bars/restaurants a while back, were from Batch #3. I ended up buying a bottle of Batch #3 this past weekend. Curiosity got the better of me, so I opened it up and had a couple of pours when I got home from work today. I have to wholeheartedly agree with all of you that have said that Batch $3 is good. So much so, that I might have to go buy another bottle. :rolleyes:

Despite the high proof, the first taste I got was actually almost sweet. Something akin to the caramel/coconut/pecan frosting from a home made German Chocolate cake, but on steroids. :bigeyes: I sure am glad I decided to buy a bottle, and like I said, I might have to go buy another one. :grin:

Cheers and enjoy! Joe

Despite the high proof, the first taste I got was actually almost sweet. Something akin to the caramel/coconut/pecan frosting from a home made German Chocolate cake, but on steroids. :bigeyes: I sure am glad I decided to buy a bottle, and like I said, I might have to go buy another one. :grin:

Cheers and enjoy! Joe

I love this description.

I picked up a couple more of these this weekend because I sensed that the supply was drying up. I don't know what batch 4 is going to be like so I may as well stock up on the one I know I like. Now I just need to find some German chocolate cake for a side by side!

Well, now I've got to try a Stagg Jr. Old-Fashioned!

Just had one over the weekend with batch 3 (which really is much better than prior). Just a fantastic old fashioned. I used 4 dashes each of orange and angostura bitters, a bit of agave syrup and a blood orange peel.

I had bypassed this product on several trips because I was never a fan of the bottle of regular Stagg I purchased in 2012. I'm one of the very few bourbon enthusiasts who is not a fan of Stagg. Much too hot for my palate. But in fairness to the Stagg, pretty much any bottle north of 130 proof fits that category, including ECBP....that is the only way I can explain it because I love slightly lower proofed Booker's and KCSB. But after reading a few comments of folks who liked the Stagg Jr. better than regular Stagg and seeing one on the shelf that was lower in proof (132), I decided to pull the trigger. And at first comparison, it does lack much of the oakiness which contributes in part to my dislike of the regular product, but it also doesn't have quite as much vanilla that is present in regular Stagg. Overall, my first impression of Stagg Jr. is that it sucks only slightly less than the regular product. KCSB for my palate blows them both out of the water and is a killer value.

On a related note, have any of you tried to get a refund if you saved the receipt and you absolutely hated the product? I've never done that before, but if I can swing it with this product, I might consider it!

I picked up a bottle of Batch #3 today. I was told that it had been sitting around for awhile. I recall seeing Stagg Jr. on the shelf last fall but don't recall the batch number. I wasn't really interested then. It was BTAC release season and, while I thought Batch #1 was ok, I wouldn't have bought another. I will give this one another go based on recommendations of several folks in the forum. I found it difficult to calibrate Batch #1 but once I found the formula (STJ/BT) it was a nice pour. Very similar flavor profile as CEHT which makes sense based on age and the proof I was blending it to.

Very fun bottle for me. Picked up one, had a taste, and then went back for 2 more.

The fact that you can start it neat, and then add a few drops of water every 10 minutes let's you experience it in several ways. Good value to me. $50

Happy to join the forum!

I saw this bottling (Batch #3, 132 proof) in a little store nearby. Not having had any Stagg before but knowing it's generally liked and hard to get, I went all in and bought their 4 bottles at $50 each, pretty much on the come. I had my first glass yesterday and concur with the thought that it's overly hot and rougher than similar products like Taylor Barrel Proof. I only drink my bourbon on the rocks, so after about 10 minutes enough melting had happened to smoothen this out to a nice drink.

I'm intriqued with the vatting possibilities however. Last night I blended it with OWA in a mix of 55% OWA and 45% Stagg Jr, just because that was how much was left in the OWA bottle. If my calculations are right, that should yield a drink at roughly 118 proof. I'll report back this weekend on the results.

you bought four bottles of whiskey you've never tried?

...but why?

For the same reason people answer when asked why they climbed the mountain: because it was there. :grin:

Actually, I figured it's limited enough where if I liked it and couldn't get any more, I would be pissed at myself. If I didn't like it, I could do something with it like sell it, or use it for blending, which I'm trying.

I'm intriqued with the vatting possibilities however. Last night I blended it with OWA in a mix of 55% OWA and 45% Stagg Jr, just because that was how much was left in the OWA bottle. If my calculations are right, that should yield a drink at roughly 118 proof. I'll report back this weekend on the results.

Tried this blend for the first time. It's definitely better than the straight Stagg Jr. I think a 60% OWA/40% Stagg Jr. would be a bit better, but this is a decent blend for my palate.

I have also experimented with vatting the Stagg jr, and so far the best combo I've is 2 parts Buffalo Trace, 1 part Stagg Jr. Definitely better than either of them separately.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.