Selling bourbon in the late 60's...

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found these three ads in the records of the Nelson County Library...They were published in the late 60's...

What caught my eye...was this Maker's Mark ad...published Feb. 22, 1968...It tastes expensive...and is...

I couldn't help but laugh "outloud" when I ran across this ad...It was a unexpected response...like a cough or a sneeze...Really embarassing blush.gif especially in a library blush.gifgrin.gifblush.gif...

Then, I started to watch for the ads, along with my seach of the bourbon historical facts...

Maker's Mark ad...I wonder...If they used it now...Would it sell more bourbon?

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811327778_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmmm...Uncle Wilmer... (Maybe) musta said to follow along with the Maker's ad...about being expensive... (Just joking) I can't remember what year he retired for Yellowstone...

Hmmmmmmmmm wonder if they filed a law suit against them for using the same word?... grin.gifgrin.gif Expensive grin.gifgrin.gif

So even though Yellowstone's fairly expensive, try this beautiful bourbon tonight...$4.85 4/5 qt. $1.55 1/2 pt....

Would it work today?...

YEP...at that price for sure...but at today's prices with that comment...fairly expensive? grin.giflol.gifgrin.gif

I found this comical...

post-20-14489811328142_thumb.jpg

This one...Published March 14, 1968 in the Kentucky Standard...

Heaven Hill...made from a time honored formula since 1788? I need to check on that one...1788?...Wonder who they are referring to?...Heaven Hill? Evan Williams?...It shows a bottle of Heaven Hill...

Should it be...1783?...or 1795?...or 1935?

Gentle taste, smooth flavor, distinctive aroma, Kentucky craftsmanship, fine quality and moderate price.... grin.gif aint no "expensive" word in their ad grin.gif...

But...at the end...it states one million dollars can't buy a better bottle of bourbon... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811328354_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.