BOTM 3/15: Buffalo Trace

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While MM is what opened the bourbon door for me, BT is what duct-taped me to the comfy chair. Many years later now and it's still as close to a daily pour as I have.

I just finished the first bottle of BT I purchased and enjoyed it more as it I went on. I found it really nice, I see it more and more in restaurants/bars when I am out. It won't replace my go to (WT101) but nice to know its there. Additionally, I am noticing it slowly replacing JB and JD as the quick grabs when people are brining mixers to a party. Just an observation.

BT wasn't my first bottle in the bourbon world but it was the one that taught me that expensive was not the only way to the good stuff. It still has a spot on the shelf. Not a dusty spot either.

I was trying to remember when BT bourbon was first released as the "flagship" bourbon. I know I tried it fairly early on since a friend brought back a bottle of this "new" bourbon that "you have to try!" after a visit to Kentucky. I find BT to be ok. I like BT's #1 mashbill but I prefer GTS, CEHT, ER10 and OC10 (when it was available) more than standard BT. I guess that means that I probably prefer the distillate to be aged a little longer or to have a higher proof than the standard BT.

I was trying to remember when BT bourbon was first released as the "flagship" bourbon. I know I tried it fairly early on since a friend brought back a bottle of this "new" bourbon that "you have to try!" after a visit to Kentucky. I find BT to be ok. I like BT's #1 mashbill but I prefer GTS, CEHT, ER10 and OC10 (when it was available) more than standard BT. I guess that means that I probably prefer the distillate to be aged a little longer or to have a higher proof than the standard BT.

My son was born in November of 98, so I'm going to guess that it was released in 99 or early 00. I'm not a big change guy, and I recall thinking that changing the name of the distillery was the worst idea ever! Shows how much I know...

I can't really and distinct characteristics to share about BT but I know I like it a lot. The first bottle resulted in me drinking at least 2 more in probably 3 weeks. It may have been more but I both places I bought it have been out.

So, p2min, what did you like about it? Just throw out some adjectives that come to mind OR pick some words off the Straightbourbon tasting adjective list (which, after I get dessert, I'll hunt for and link here). Also, where is it that you are seeking BT? I think I missed you on the "New to Straight Bourbon" thread.

EDIT: p2min - Here's the link to the "official" SB list of tasting adjectives. I find it helpful when I'm in that fuzzy zone and am at a loss for coherence.:grin:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=10&a=6

Edited by Harry in WashDC

BT is always a good solid bourbon, IMO. I appreciate their private selection program and have had a number of very good bottles from a bunch of different stores. Since I can't seem to pass them up, there's still 8 or 9 different ones waiting in the wings. Also starting to see it in more restaurants around here which, believe me, is a welcome addition.

One of my favorites for sure. It shares the same sort of "musty" taste (not unpleasant) that I get from a bottle of Beam I had from the 70's. Maybe not the best adjective, though. Old leather and tobacco is better.

I like it and keep an open bottle. I just purchased a single barrel from my local retailer that was almost 10 years old and will open it when my current bottle is done. A great bourbon for $25!

The restaurant down the street from my house, has BT and ER10 so I had those last Friday. It's been a long time since I've had BT and I don't think I have ever had ER10. I liked them both very much. I thought BT was a little bit thinner and was hot at the start but finished smooth. The ER was good too, but I prefer the Elmer T Lee. Anyway, I would certainly drink BT before I had other common restaurant offerings. ;)

Stuff happens when you get old. Tonight, I reached for my almost empty BT behind the dining room door and picked up my almost empty OWA which also was behind the dining room door. Same shape, about the same weight. Didn't notice my "mistake" until I got to the kitchen where the lights were on. Well, tomorrow is another day, and my BT will still be there - at least until I find it.

Stuff happens when you get old. Tonight, I reached for my almost empty BT behind the dining room door and picked up my almost empty OWA which also was behind the dining room door. Same shape, about the same weight. Didn't notice my "mistake" until I got to the kitchen where the lights were on. Well, tomorrow is another day, and my BT will still be there - at least until I find it.

OWA, BT, they're both good. Happy drinking either way.

I've always enjoyed BT, really all of the Mashbill #1s out of the Buffalo Trace Distillery. My regular "local" store (World Beverage in Duluth GA) will be getting a store select in the next 4-6 weeks, looking forward to getting a bottle to compare to the BT I picked up at the distillery last summer.

I find BT a little to far on the wheat side for my normal pour. My preference is EWBiB; however, during the brutally hot Summers here in New Orleans I do enjoy it over a single frozen stone. I find it a little thin to put on real ice. All that said I do find it a nice expression of an affordable bourbon. And I can see how those who like the flavor from their mash bill would consider it a great value. But for me it is one of those mood/weather/activity specific pours. I have a bottle from Costco that I have not opened yet. Have any of you had the Costco version? It looks like that standard bottling but I was wondering if if is any different since they are bottling such a large amount for Costco.

Happy Sipping!

I find BT a little to far on the wheat side for my normal pour. My preference is EWBiB; however, during the brutally hot Summers here in New Orleans I do enjoy it over a single frozen stone. I find it a little thin to put on real ice. All that said I do find it a nice expression of an affordable bourbon. And I can see how those who like the flavor from their mash bill would consider it a great value. But for me it is one of those mood/weather/activity specific pours. I have a bottle from Costco that I have not opened yet. Have any of you had the Costco version? It looks like that standard bottling but I was wondering if if is any different since they are bottling such a large amount for Costco.

Happy Sipping!

Costco has their own brand, Kirkland's, a 7YO, 103 proofer made by Beam that goes for about $20 a liter. Costco sells boatloads of bourbon at attractive prices. I got two handles of KC from the Scottsdale, AZ Costco for $33 each. KC goes for $35 per 750 where I live. Also have a couple liters of BT from Costco. To my knowledge, Costco liquor is not "bottled for" them. It is the standard juice.

Edited by Flyfish

Just finished a bottle a couple of days ago. I first encountered it at a liquor store where a lovely young marketing lady was handing out samples. I'm partial to it and most of BT's roster: ETL, Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's.

• 2 weeks later...

I always have a bottle or two of Buffalo Trace on hand. I like it neat or as a mixer. It is one of a very few bourbons the wife will drink as a mixer.

I was turned on to BT at a bourbon tasting put on by a fellow SB'er. We went through the Buffalo Trace high and low rye mashbills and then had an open bottle tasting. Towards the end of the evening we each called out our top 3 of the tasting and at least half, including me had BT in their top three. I've had it on my bar ever since. To me it is the Goldilocks of the bourbon world. Not too... this or that, but just right. A solid bourbon to me.

I think that the regular BT is one of the few true remaining values out there in the bourbon world that has decent availability and one that I've introduced many of people into the hobby via this label.I would also like to say that if you get the chance to try or buy a private selection single barrel don't pass it up.....it may just surprise the hell out of you.

• 1 month later...

This always a good pour. Just picked up a 1.75L of this iconic bourbon. So many good things come from this distillery.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.