Dickel and Corsair (Bowling Green)

kwshannon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We altered our spring break trip this week, and added stops at George Dickel distillery, and at Corsair in Bowling Green.

We had been to Dickel 2 years ago. The distillery and tour were about the same. The guide mentioned they have increased to having 2 shifts a day, and producing 6 days a week. That is an increase from one shift, and 4 days a week 2 years ago. They said they do all single barrel bottlings there at the plant, for Dickel, also Orphan, and also Crown Royal single barrel in the gold bag. Two other changes, which we enjoyed, were the option to taste up to 4 selections, and the ability to purchase Barrel Select, and 9 year single barrel selection, in the store. Great tour, knowledgeable staff, great aromas, and enjoyable scenery.

We headed to Bowling Green for the evening, and found that Corsair has a facility in downtown. I thought it was only in Nashville, so my mistake. We had a great, personal tour, and tasting afterwards. Completely different type of a tour, we sat and talked with Alex (sp), discussing their approach to their products, their history, etc. It reminded me of the way employees in start-up companies (like IT) have a creative approach. We toured the still area, learned they are adding another soon, the bottling area, and the essence area. I was surprised to learn they bottle all of the product on the same 4-bottle machine. We returned to the shop, sampled , and purchased a bottle. The barrel strength Triple Smoke blew me away. Yum!

Two amazing tours, great experiences, really exciting to see smaller facilities and their approaches. Highly recommend both.

We changed our return trip to include Cox Creek Four Roses gift shop and tasting. Valarie (from GA) and her staff were great hosts. We picked up 2 barrel strength - OESQ 10yr 8mo, 58.7%, and OESF 10yr 8mp, 56.7%. Highly recommend a visit if you are over by Cox Creek. They had a tour of barreling and warehouses but we did not have the extra time this trip.

Thanks for the comments. They'll come in handy if/when I get out there.

• 4 weeks later...

If you only had time for one in the area, would you choose Dickel or JD? Im headed that way in July.

If you only had time for one in the area, would you choose Dickel or JD? Im headed that way in July.

Both gift shops, like most, aren't cheap but since they are only 30 mins. apart it is easy to visit most. The downtown sq. in Lynchburg also has some neat shops.

If I only had time for one, probably JD. Take the tour, taste the three samples at the end, visit the town over the walk bridge and have lunch there.

Save Dickel for a return trip when you have more time, compare the differences - size, automation, method.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.