Bourbon Aged Beers

greatgoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, jd1585 said:

Founders Backwoods is by far my favorite. I stumbled across an entire case and had to pick it up this year.

Wow!  That's quite the find.  I'd jump on it in a heartbeat even though it would be about $100 for a case of beer.  It will keep a long time.

It's interesting that in MI it is harder to come by.  My usual place received 9 or so cases and it lasted a whole week.  Another place of the beaten path still has ~1.5 cases left.  I bought two 4-packs for me and one for my BIL, then passed the knowledge to others who I know enjoy BA beers.  Around here KBS is hunted like crazy but Backwoods sits for a while.  On some days I think I prefer Backwoods so that's a good situation for me from an availability standpoint.  Then again I was able to get 9 bottles of KBS this year, so hopefully that luck/hustle continues too.

Jason

I discovered today that the alcohol guy at a local grocery store held a couple of 4 packs of Backwoods Bastard for me.   I try to talk to him and put a 4 or 6 pack often enough that he remembers.

Thank you thank you.

There was a BA beer bonanza it would seem this week at my local store.  A bunch of stuff came in, including rye and bourbon barrel aged Old Rasputin, Oscar Blues BA Ten Fidy, and the Sierra Nevada In the Woods series (biere de gaarde, Bigfoot w/ ginger, Narwhal w/ currant).  It was an expensive trip, yesterday.  That's why I had to pass on a handle of Old Fitz BIB, I could only carry so much.

Jason

I'm so glad I never caught the beer bug.  Save for the occasional St. Bernardus or Wiehenstephaner, I'm a-ok with good ole Shiner Bock for 95% of my beer consumption. 

I just looked at this thread for the first time. I also bought some good barrel aged beer today. Bent Paddle Double Shot Double Black.

Two weeks ago, a buddy and I traveled to Bell's for a special stout beer tour.  They were celebrating their annual All Stouts Day that weekend.  When we arrived shortly before our Noon tour, we visited the Bell's General Store.  They had a small sign on the door for Bell's Black Note.  Hell yeah!  True to form, Bell's did not announce that they were selling Black Note that weekend.  We both picked up the 12 bottle max allocation ($22 per four).  I read that the General Store was selling Black Note for a full week after I picked up my bottles.

Keep an eye and ear out for it.  Word is that Black Note will be distributed but to what extent is anyone's guess.

Apparently the distribution has opened up somewhat on, imho, the best ever beer: Brooklyn Black Ops. I saw it at freakin' Wegman's recently here in ROC!

20161116_145543.jpg

Edited by IncredulousNosco

6 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Apparently the distribution has opened up somewhat on, imho, the best ever beer: Brooklyn Black Ops. I saw it at freakin' Wegman's recently here in ROC!

20161116_145543.jpg

Wegmans in Northern Virginia gets a pretty good beer selection and routinely gets all the Brooklyn BQE releases (although you never know on timing). 

Found a 4 pack of Backwoods Bastard today.  Just opened one up and I am digging it.  Hoping to find some bourbon county stout Friday, but, I'm not going to try too hard.  

8 hours ago, Golzee said:

Found a 4 pack of Backwoods Bastard today.  Just opened one up and I am digging it.  Hoping to find some bourbon county stout Friday, but, I'm not going to try too hard.  

Bourbon County Stout isn't too hard to come by around here as long as you're just looking for the regular version. Costco usually has huge stacks of it.

I was pretty disappointed in last year's, though, so I might skip it this year.

On 11/22/2016 at 6:55 AM, amg said:

Bourbon County Stout isn't too hard to come by around here as long as you're just looking for the regular version. Costco usually has huge stacks of it.

I was pretty disappointed in last year's, though, so I might skip it this year.

Picked up a couple Bourbon County Stouts today.  Could have bought 5 cases if I wanted, but, I'm not a huge beer guy.  Dragon's Milk is just fine with me if I want a bourbon barrel aged beer.

Opened an Arrogant Bastard Barrel aged tonight, I like it better than normal Arrogant Bastard, but, It is a little light IMO.

12 hours ago, Golzee said:

Opened an Arrogant Bastard Barrel aged tonight, I like it better than normal Arrogant Bastard, but, It is a little light IMO.

The bourbon barrel version? I thought that one was pretty subtle.

I tried this year's Barrel Aged Ten Fidy yesterday. Very tasty stuff.

Scored a couple of bottles of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout fromthis year's release.    Decided to do a tasting with the 2014 release while at our sons house for Thansgiving.    All six tasters liked the 2016 better but 5 of the 6 also liked the 2014.  It seems that the 2016 has a sweater finish and far more pronounced Bourbon flavor.   Hope it cellars well so we can compare it in again in couple of years 

IMG_2123.JPG

2 hours ago, amg said:

The bourbon barrel version? I thought that one was pretty subtle.

I tried this year's Barrel Aged Ten Fidy yesterday. Very tasty stuff.

Yes, the bourbon barrel aged version.  I read somewhere that they mix the barrel aged ale with regular arrogant bastard.  Could explain why it is very subtle/light compared with others.

4 hours ago, Golzee said:

Yes, the bourbon barrel aged version.  I read somewhere that they mix the barrel aged ale with regular arrogant bastard.  Could explain why it is very subtle/light compared with others.

If you get a chance to try the Double Bastard in The Rye it's a different animal altogether. Pricy, though.

On 11/23/2016 at 9:30 PM, Golzee said:

Picked up a couple Bourbon County Stouts today.  Could have bought 5 cases if I wanted, but, I'm not a huge beer guy.  Dragon's Milk is just fine with me if I want a bourbon barrel aged beer.

I got some at Jewel and Binny's but no place was allowing more than 2 bottles per customer.  Where did you stumble on the mother lode?

Edited by Sluffo

8 minutes ago, Sluffo said:

I got some at Jewel and Binny's but no place was allowing more than 2 bottles per customer.  Where did you stumble on the mother lode?

I asked a manager at meijer on wednesday, not sure if he knew what he had.  But, he didn't care and offered me as many as I wanted.

1 minute ago, Golzee said:

I asked a manager at meijer on wednesday, not sure if he knew what he had.  But, he didn't care and offered me as many as I wanted.

Ha.  The one store i thought about going to and skipped.  My loss.

I ran the Black Friday BCBS gauntlet like many of you.  I went with my BIL and father (who was really just there to help the two of us get more) to three different stores in our area.  I ended up with a good mix of the regular stout, some Barleywine, and some Coffee Stout.  We missed out on 2015 Rare by a couple people in line but that saved me $60, so that was a positive.  First time getting the Coffee variant.  I wish the Regal Rye was released this year.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout just hit Minnesota. $12 and readily available as the truck chasers don't think it's worth the chase. Hopefully it stay's that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.