BOTM 4/15: George Dickel No. 12

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We'll said sir. GD was my bridge from scotch to bourbon and all my friends drink JD so I was just the odd guy

I am one who likes the Dickel 12. So much better than Jack Daniels IMO.

Ditto. Dickel 12 is always on hand. To be fair, JDSB is a very good pour.

My Favorites: George Dickel No. 12, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses Yellow Label, Evan Williams White Label Bottled in Bond.

George Dickel mashbill is 84% corn, 8% rye, and 8% malted barley. Would that not also qualify it as a straight corn whiskey?

Edited by kaiserhog

George Dickel mashbill is 84% corn, 8% rye, and 8% malted barley. Would that not also qualify it as a straight corn whiskey?

Aged corn whiskey, whether straight or not, is stored in either used or uncharred oak barrels. The No. 1 qualifies as a corn whiskey and it's labeled as such (white corn whisky). The others don't.

a BOTM I'm surprised to see, for both that its not a bourbon, and that its so divisive. Great choice! I cant think of a whisky that is more polarizing, and this ought to be an interesting read.

Ive only had one bottle of D12, as once I tried the Dickel 9 year 103 proof version I was hooked on it. I find the 9 year to be a more concentrated version of the #12, so if you dont like #12, youre probably not going to like the 9 year. Im not quite sure I get the 'vitamin' flavor. I find it peculiar, but interesting.....one of the few whiskies I can actually sit around and contemplate.

We have a large annual social occasion in a few weeks that spans a 3 day weekend for most people I know, and have been wondering what to take along, and this thread settled me on one of the #12's. Nearly everyone there loves the 9 year, so Im gonna pick up a #12 and donate it to the booze table, and see what people think of it.

being that i'm not much of a fan of jack i don't see myself picking this one up anytime soon. i wouldn't turn it down if it was offered though.

being that i'm not much of a fan of jack i don't see myself picking this one up anytime soon. i wouldn't turn it down if it was offered though.

agree with flyfish.

dickel is nothing like JD. love dickel, can sometimes tolerate the latter, though wont pay for it. you can get Dickel #12 in a 375 for $12 or so, its worth a try.

Wonderful whiskey, that is perfect for those times when I got a hankerin' for something different. That distinctive vitamin note hits me square in my off-center whiskey love spot, while still delivering solid doses of vanilla, caramel, and butterscotch bourbony goodness. Always have a bottle on the bar. I've always thought that GD12 would be a natural suggestion to everyday scotch drinkers who want to occasionally go to their off-center love spot, as well. :D

As a side note, the TN Whiskey segment ain't that deep (Dickel and Daniel's) and I'm not sure you could get farther apart in taste profiles...

I've got a bottle of #1, #9 and #12. Only #9 has the vitamin essence and it is slight. Each is distinct enough. While not in my top ten it's one I keep on hand.

I bought a bottle. Drank it slowly over time. I wanted to like it but didn't. Just not in my wheelhouse. Left half a bottle at a party just to clear space on the shelf.

I definitely like this one, though I'd rather be drinking GDBS instead. Good almost nutty finish to it, but unfortunately it does seem to give me a headache, even when consumed in moderation.

Count me a fan as well. Tried this several years ago when we took a trip to TN and started buying it as soon as we got home and went through many many bottles of GD12. This one was definitely a gateway to bourbondom for me and while I haven't had any recently I do have a bottle on deck, with the fond memories I have of all it's predecessors I am looking forward to the revisit to see how I feel about it these days but I can't imagine not liking it.

This is certainly a unique whiskey. There's a strong mineral note that stands out in the nose and taste, along with some smoke. There's also a lot of vanilla. The whole thing together kind of reminds me of that sugar stick that comes with Fun Dip. It took me a few drinks to figure out whether or not I liked it, but at this point I'm definitely a fan.

Back around the turn of the century, Dickel shut down for a few years because they had more whiskey than they could sell. Meanwhile, existing stocks continued to age. It is possible that when they started up again, some of the whisky in the misleadingly named #12 might actually have approached or exceeded 12YO like glut bourbons with older stocks mingled in. Of course, they continued to sell existing stock during the hiatus so perhaps FIFO inventory management made it unnecessary to do this. Anyone know about this?

Wonderful whiskey, that is perfect for those times when I got a hankerin' for something different. That distinctive vitamin note hits me square in my off-center whiskey love spot, while still delivering solid doses of vanilla, caramel, and butterscotch bourbony goodness. Always have a bottle on the bar. I've always thought that GD12 would be a natural suggestion to everyday scotch drinkers who want to occasionally go to their off-center love spot, as well. :D

As a side note, the TN Whiskey segment ain't that deep (Dickel and Daniel's) and I'm not sure you could get farther apart in taste profiles...

Ol' Joe said pretty much what I wanted to say. GD #12 has subtle charms that appeal to me when I'm looking for something different as well. Light and easy, this whiskey still delivers enough flavor and aroma to keep me interested over the long haul, making it a nice "session" sipper when I'm smoking a pork shoulder over a long afternoon. Handsome little bottle too. For just around $20, it's a no-brainer if you haven't tried it and it goes over very well at barbecues in my experience. Thumbs up!

Barrel Select is better. the vitamin taste mentioned here has me fixated on the weird flavor so much i probably wont drink it and i have half a handle left.

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2015 at 9:51 AM, Flyfish said:

Back around the turn of the century, Dickel shut down for a few years because they had more whiskey than they could sell. Meanwhile, existing stocks continued to age. It is possible that when they started up again, some of the whisky in the misleadingly named #12 might actually have approached or exceeded 12YO like glut bourbons with older stocks mingled in. Of course, they continued to sell existing stock during the hiatus so perhaps FIFO inventory management made it unnecessary to do this. Anyone know about this?

I think this story was authenticated when Allisa Henley (past Master Distiller) found a number of barrels in the warehouse dated at 17yrs.

Further research showed these were the last barrels stored before the 1990 production shutdown. That shutdown last about 3 years as supply at the time greatly exceeded demand. Once the stock was drawn down production started again in 1992.

The find of about 80 barrels in 2016 was bottled as GD17.

Back to the BOTH thread, I'm a fan of the 12. It's sweet and simple w/the expected caramel and vanilla. The vitamin is only secondary for me and not offensive. I keep a handle on the bar and enjoy a pour several times a month.

Very interesting thread with the very wide differences of opinion.

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2015 at 7:02 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Count me a fan as well. Tried this several years ago when we took a trip to TN and started buying it as soon as we got home and went through many many bottles of GD12. This one was definitely a gateway to bourbondom for me and while I haven't had any recently I do have a bottle on deck, with the fond memories I have of all it's predecessors I am looking forward to the revisit to see how I feel about it these days but I can't imagine not liking it.

Dickel 12 was the stuff that turned me

onto sour mash a few years ago. I am

always buying and trying

new stuff, I keep a bottle of the barrel select on hand. I dont get the vitamin note that a lot of people mention but

my palette isn't as advanced. I have a bottle of the 17 year as well but haven't cracked it yet. 

7 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Dickel 12 was the stuff that turned me

onto sour mash a few years ago. I am

always buying and trying

new stuff, I keep a bottle of the barrel select on hand. I dont get the vitamin note that a lot of people mention but

my palette isn't as advanced. I have a bottle of the 17 year as well but haven't cracked it yet. 

No "vitamin" for me either?  If you don't like corn, you won't like Dickel.  And what is bourbon without corn?  Corn, rye, barley, oak and water - where pray-tell, would this mysterious "vitamin" flavor come from exactly?  I don't know who started that, but its confusing to see it persist. 

4 hours ago, musekatcher said:

No "vitamin" for me either?  If you don't like corn, you won't like Dickel.  And what is bourbon without corn?  Corn, rye, barley, oak and water - where pray-tell, would this mysterious "vitamin" flavor come from exactly?  I don't know who started that, but its confusing to see it persist. 

I didn't get it through many years of GD12 but the very first 9 yr single barrel select I purchased had it and it was pronounced, a very Flintstones chewable vitamin flavor note was front and center neat. A bit of water and the profile shifted to what I described as a rootbeer profile. It was different, a definite change of pace but once finished I had no desire to revisit it. The standard issue 12 is a much better pour than my experience with the SB so I just stick to that as the balance of flavors never reads vitamin to me on that one, its just damn good whisky. No idea what causes that very unique and distinct flavor to appear in some Dickle expressions, maybe the yeast?

8 hours ago, musekatcher said:

I'm sure it's confusing if you don't observe it.  I often feel that individuals are "wired" to identify certain tastes/flavors/smells.   The vitamin note has been spoken about for at least as long as I have been on SB, which is nearly 13 years.   As far as where it "comes" from has been bandied about on these boards for that time, as well.  Most guess it's the yeast.  I dunno, but I am one who clearly detects it...and frankly, enjoys it for its uniqueness.  I will say though, that I don't notice it as much in the older and higher proof Dickel iterations such as the. 9 and 14 year.  

8 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

The standard issue 12 is a much better pour than my experience with the SB so I just stick to that as the balance of flavors never reads vitamin to me on that one, its just damn good whisky.

I only enjoy GD12, haven't tried their other offerings yet, but I suppose I should.  I'll eventually crack a bottle of hand selected 10.5 year, and perhaps pickup a bottle of the store select. 

and

smokinjoe sez:

".....I'm sure it's confusing if you don't observe it.  I often feel that individuals are "wired" to identify certain tastes/flavors/smells... ...."

Man, I havent had "flintstone" vitamins since 1972.  Haven't had any other vitamins in 10 years.  In the interest of discovery and enlightenment, I will definitely try some vitamins and see if I sense that flavor.  Homework...

Edited by musekatcher

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.