DIY Double Barrel Rye

Phischy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Long time since I last posted but I'm more into brewing now than drinking bourbon. However, I came upon a 5 gallon rye barrel that had spirits in it once. Before I put a russian imperial stout in it I wanted to run another batch of rye through it to get more utility out of my purchase. But 5 gallons is a lot of damn booze. So I'm enlisting the guys I know to help spread the cost of the rye.

So, we're thinking of keeping it on the cheaper side since I've never done this before. The barrel smells a-mazing. We're thinking of using Jim Beam Rye, I'd prefer something 90+ proof but...we're all buying 3 bottles each at least so cost is a factor. Plus availability, we need 25 750ml bottles.

What other Rye's should we consider that are under $25?

I would go directly to putting the stout in there. I have heard about people trying to re-barrel spirits before. I know it sounds like a fun project. I haven't heard any good results. For the price of 25 x 750ml bottles of ok rye you could buy some amazing whiskey.

Yep. Rittenhouse, Dickel Rye, maybe James E Pepper Rye? (it's young MGP but it's 100 proof)

I haven't seen some of those on the shelf here in Houston. And keep in mind I need 5 gallons.

I agree with PaulO. I see what's your saying about increasing utilization, but throwing $700 worth of booze at an experiment seems counterproductive to me.

I haven't seen some of those on the shelf here in Houston. And keep in mind I need 5 gallons.

Just goes to show how different availability is in different parts of the country!

What rye can you get in 1.75L?

Agree with others, might be a fun experiment, but it'll be an expensive one and from everything I've ever read it won't be one that you're happy with the results of. But, if you're committed.

Beam rye just upped its proof to 90 and should be priced in the low $20s. Look for a green label. Alternatively you could go down to Old Overholt and lose some proof and character, but that might actually work well with the additional barrel character you're looking for, should be in the neighborhood of $15 a bottle, much more than that and its overpriced. Or maybe go with some corn whiskey like Mellow Corn, really cheap and 100 proof, should bring out some nice flavors with the increased alcohol content.

Either way, cheers, hope the whiskey and the beer coming out of it are stellar

Agree with others, might be a fun experiment, but it'll be an expensive one . . .

What about this hobby isn't, may as well have fun.

Might not need a full 5 gallons if you rotate the barrel on a regular basis. if you were near Wisconsin (Although I expect"Sandy Eggo" is about as far away as you can get!) you might find the inexpensive but reportedly decent Fleischmann's Rye in handy plastic 1.75's! In fact I think it is only in 1.75's. Only 80 proof though.

I think I would just go ahead and put the Stout in it as others suggested.

I have made cocktails like Manhattans and re-barreled them. Similar to what HW does.

I have made cocktails like Manhattans and re-barreled them. Similar to what HW does.

Probably not 5 gallons worth though! That is more than most bars will take on. You can't leave it long and if it is not all consumed then you need a jar to store them in or they will likely get over oaked pretty quick!

It may take a little driving around, but Houston has plenty of the Rittenhouse and Dickel ryes around $22 a bottle. Old Overholt might be a decent addition, but it is low proof.

The barrel is not going to give you any radical changes in anything you put in it, but it can help smooth out a blend of different whiskies. My suggestion would be to buy one bottle of each, and try a few test blends. The same basic flavors that go into the barrel will come out, just a little smoother and more cohesive.

My my best mini barrel results came when I filled it with a blend of rums I had flavored with vanilla beans and a little bit of orange zest. The barrel aging really smoothed everything out and brought the flavors together.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.