What's the dill pickle? [SAOS 7yr rye]

Wild1z
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Y'all might think this is crazy and maybe it's the booze talking, but... The last couple months, a few bottles, I've been tasting dill. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about it I'm just surprised I made the connection. That is the brilliant thing about this hobby, your tastes are always changing. Anyone else or are my buds toast? [emoji6]

You are not crazy. Other people also taste "pickle juice" in some rye whiskies. I hear about "mint" too. If you like it, you can also try Bulleit Rye or Dickel Rye. I think that taste comes from the rye grain, like you've probably tasted the same thing in rye bread.

Edited by PaulO

SAOS rye comes from MGPI, and ryes from MGPI are often described with words like dill and mint, so you are not crazy.

For all I know, you still may be crazy, but getting dill from an MGPI Rye like the SA ain't a sign of it! ;). It does seem to diminish with the increased age of the whiskey IMO, though. The earliest Willett's screamed it (4ish yrs), but I think the dill note lessens as the releases get older (same with SA 7&8 yr and a Redemption 6 yr that I go to). The extra time in wood tames the MGPI ryes, greatly balancing them out, making them more refined whiskeys (and better in cocktails for example). But, the brashness of those early Willetts have a special place in my heart with their dill and mint-bomb pungency. :D I now have a hankerin' for a pastrami on rye...:yum:

For all I know, you still may be crazy, but getting dill from an MGPI Rye like the SA ain't a sign of it! ;). It does seem to diminish with the increased age of the whiskey IMO, though. The earliest Willett's screamed it (4ish yrs), but I think the dill note lessens as the releases get older (same with SA 7&8 yr and a Redemption 6 yr that I go to). The extra time in wood tames the MGPI ryes, greatly balancing them out, making them more refined whiskeys (and better in cocktails for example). But, the brashness of those early Willetts have a special place in my heart with their dill and mint-bomb pungency. :D I now have a hankerin' for a pastrami on rye...:yum:

I am a big fan of MGPI ryes.. the Willett 4yr was my favorite. (I finished them all) The 6yr, I also love. The 2yr to me, is all Mint. Then again, if I tasted them again today, I'd probably get that dill flavor, maybe I'm preggers. lol. Seriously, this was one of those AH! moments. A new discovery from the taste-buds to the brain. "He can be taught!" Thanks for putting me at ease. Taking the straight jacket off now.

. . . "He can be taught!" Thanks for putting me at ease. Taking the straight jacket off now.

You can get out of it your own self? I always need help.:cool:

I've gotten the same out of MGPI rye products- for some reason, it is more pronounced in Smooth Ambler rye than it is in Willett Rye of similar age. I just had WFE 6 yr. rye and it was still there, but less evident. SA 7 yr. rye has that pickle juice note in abundance.

Some friends of mine have gotten the same note in some of the latest High West stuff- the latest releases of Double Rye and Bourye, both of which contain MGPI rye.

I find that the pickle juice smell fades the longer I let the rye sit in the class. When I first pour some MGP ryes, it's practically the only smell I get at first, but after a few minutes it becomes fainter.

I get pickle/brine notes from it too. And mint. As mentioned above, you might still be crazy, but not because of this. :)

• 1 month later...

Wow the first time I tried Bulleit Rye all I could think of was pickles! I thought it was my imagination or that I was already drunk! Glad to hear its a "thing".

A thing some notice more than others, body chemistry I suppose. My kid hates broccoli and I won't eat brussel sprouts. Blind tasting is the best way to determine what we really like though I doubt anyone can disguise a brussel sprout to the point I can't recognize it.

• 4 months later...

If memory serves me, there are laws governing the type of oak required for bourbon production, but not sure those rules apply to Rye.

In winemaking, very few producers use American (as opposed to French) oak because it imparts a HEAVY dill/pickle characteristic in the finished wine. It may be the cooperage rather than the mash bill that is giving you these flavors.

Same barrel rules for rye. The dill thing is distinctive to MGP ryes so it's some combination of mashbill and yeast.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.