BOTM 6/15: Knob Creek

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Like Makers Mark, I think Knob Creek suffers (at least in the minds of hard-core bourbon fans like us) from being "common," for lack of a better word. It is readily available in most major markets throughout the country, isn't terribly expensive and can be found in many restaurants and bars. For some, this means that it isn't very special. I've personally always enjoyed KC and appreciate the fact that Beam has put out a quality product at an affordable price that hasn't moved much over the years. Here in Chicagoland it typically costs around $26 and can be found cheaper on sale. For a nine-year-old at 100 proof that's hard to beat!

While some people definitely enjoy "the hunt" and are willing to pay a premium for rare bottles, I find it comforting knowing that Beam has readily available products (from Bookers on down the line) all at a fair price.

While some people definitely enjoy "the hunt" and are willing to pay a premium for rare bottles, I find it comforting knowing that Beam has readily available products (from Bookers on down the line) all at a fair price.

Finished off a bottle of this last night. Remains to be a solid pour, decently priced and (for us in the UK at least) readily available. 3/3 for me.

Enjoyed reading the thread guys. Multiple people mentioned that you'll like KC if you're a fan "of the Beam profile." Can a couple of people chime in as to what exactly "the profile" is?

tarheel it started some years ago with a post saying the Beam house yeast adding a 'funky' note to the whisky. That became a catch phrase repeated so often it was picked up by others until it became some sort of given. So much in fact we had posters who said they didn't like Old Grand Dad because it used that funky Beam yeast. I have to question that because Grand Dad uses a different yeast (in fact the same as the original brand) because Beam wanted to keep the OGD profile consistent. I do find it odd the World's largest selling Bourbon gets knocked as if there's something wrong with it.

Out of deference to the tastes of others who do find something objectionable in Beam I refer to it as the Beam profile.

I'd further add that most distillers have a certain house flavor profile that you can find in a majority of their products. Some of it's probably related to yeast, some to mash bills, still proofs, barrel entry proofs, char level, etc.

Back on topic, I'd say that KC is an excellent, often overlooked bourbon for a great price that I enjoy every time I have a pour.

As one of those that does find that profile objectionable let my qualify my objection. The young white label has that flavor in spades and if you are sensitive to it it will be immediately apparent, if youre not then it's not an issue for your palate so congrats, there's another whiskey you can enjoy for little$.

That flavor when out of proportion is a deal breaker for me however it ages well to my palate. Bookers and KC retain it but in a MUCH more balanced fashion. It's like a seasoning ingredient too much and the balance is off but in the right proportion the overall result is enhanced.

i just had and enjoyed a couple pours of KC as always my only wish for it would be a longer finish, to me it just drops off way to quick, of course another sip remedys that .

This is is just my spin on the Beam profile but for those unfamiliar or curious what the beam profile might be about I wanted to respond in a way that isn't all or nothing. I would encourage the curious to try a SBS of airplane sized samples of white ,black, KC and if you can pour a wee taste of Bookers that would be fun too. See how they read to YOUR taste which is all that matters anyway. Slainte KC.

tarheel it started some years ago with a post saying the Beam house yeast adding a 'funky' note to the whisky. That became a catch phrase repeated so often it was picked up by others until it became some sort of given. So much in fact we had posters who said they didn't like Old Grand Dad because it used that funky Beam yeast. I have to question that because Grand Dad uses a different yeast (in fact the same as the original brand) because Beam wanted to keep the OGD profile consistent. I do find it odd the World's largest selling Bourbon gets knocked as if there's something wrong with it.

Out of deference to the tastes of others who do find something objectionable in Beam I refer to it as the Beam profile.

I've never been able to determine what exactly the "funk" is in Beam, but I've had enough of their product range to understand how the "house style" tastes, so to speak. I follow what kc is saying above and it kind of works that way for me. I'm now most of the way through a standard Knob Creek and I'm prepared to say that it doesn't work for me. The Single Barrel version at 120 proof, on the other hand, is one of my favorites. I have no idea what changes besides the proof. I also like Baker's and Booker's quite a bit, but don't care for the Signature Craft series which tends to have what I think others mean by the "funk". The newly released BIB also works so far so I have to admit that I'm stumped why some are great to my palate and some are pretty objectionable. [scratches head]

Scratching my head as well because the only JB actual label I enjoy is the BIB. Signature series was a disaster for me and I absolutely love EC12, ECSB, EC21, & EC23.

On the other hand I've never enjoyed Bakers or Bookers and I've really tried to.

What's up with that? I guess I just really have a strange pallete.

Scratching my head as well because the only JB actual label I enjoy is the BIB. Signature series was a disaster for me and I absolutely love EC12, ECSB, EC21, & EC23.

On the other hand I've never enjoyed Bakers or Bookers and I've really tried to.

What's up with that? I guess I just really have a strange pallete.

We are ourselves the best judge of what we like and the Bourbon umbrella covers choices for all.

Just noticed this was the BOTM. In my younger days I drank a lot of Beam and KC. I Had been passing on if for years now up until about a year ago. I've found a couple store picks of KCSB & a private group buy that were really great and have been enjoying them immensely. One of them, from Old Towne Liquors in Louisville, I think was 13 years old. Depends on the barrel I guess. I've had both fantastic and horrible KCSB. Think I'll go pour one right now.

I've never been able to determine what exactly the "funk" is in Beam, but I've had enough of their product range to understand how the "house style" tastes, so to speak. ... [scratches head]

My take is I suspect, that true super tasters (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/super-tasting-science-find-out-if-youre-a-supertaster/) may be the ones who get the "funk" and react most unfavorably to it. I know Gary Gillman, who has an astute palate, experiences it. Like Steve, not sure what it is other than that "house style", which for me, is mostly anise-licorice undertones (what exactly is the difference tween the two :grin:). This house style tastes great some nights and with some Beam brands and other times not so much. As to Knob Creek small batch, it also has more peanut oil flavors to me than all the other Beam brands including the KC SB reserve. KC is my favored bourbon for Manhattans too.

I was a member of the original Kentucky Bourbon circle. Mr. Booker was trying to promote The smallbatch collection, sent out a newsletter and I think with enough neck ringers I got a sampling set with engraved snifters, tasting cards, etc. (The folks at the beam stillhouse and his son Fred would really desire to have that set, they don't have one) and I have always been a big fan of knob Creek. Not so much on the maple

This was recommended to me years ago when I was not that savvy on bourbon (it all tasted the same I thought). The clerk at the liquor store taught me about small batch and single barrel products. KC was a notch above what I had been buying but I still did not know that much about it all. Now that my tastes are more educated I keep one of these on hand. My cousin uses it in cooking, following the creed cook with what you like to drink.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.