BOTM 6/15: Knob Creek

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Very often, when you first open a bottle of whiskey it will taste flat, but a day or two later it will have opened up quite a bit with oxidation.

From my experience, a first pour from a newly opened bottle is rarely indicative of what the rest of the bottle will taste like.

In other words, I never judge a bottle by the first pour ...

Does anyone now how large each batch of KC is? A store by my house has a "specially selected" batch of regular KC. It comes in a wooden box, but other than that, it looks the same. So, I am just wondering if this is some Jim Beam marketing trickery. I will probably pick up a bottle, at the worst it is plain old KC, which is still pretty good.

It sounds like a private selection aka store select. Just something guys from that store tried from a handful of barrels and picked/bought one barrel of.

It sounds like a private selection aka store select. Just something guys from that store tried from a handful of barrels and picked/bought one barrel of.

I really enjoy this but the more I drink the more I realize how much I like BT juice.......

They have done private barrels of KCSB which were selected by Fred Noe in the past. But, I have never seen private "batches" before.

Since all Knob Creek is labeled small batch then it logically follows privately bottled stuff will be so labeled as well. Private selection, distiller selected, whatever, it's all part of a big batch which along with other big batches are in constant production. It would seem retailers of all sizes would like to give the impression their special selection KC is different from and slightly better than other's KC but all KC however labeled is just a part of a whole and parts is parts. KC is consistent and very good value but private labels or cheap boxes don't change what's in the bottle so I just get whichever one is on sale.

I have two bottles of KCSB: One is "Barrel #702 Selected by Fred Noe for Bourbon Women." Can't tell them apart. But that could just be lack of sensitivity in my palate.

Yes. Bourbon women have always been among my favorite companions. Fortunately, I married one.

Very often, when you first open a bottle of whiskey it will taste flat, but a day or two later it will have opened up quite a bit with oxidation. Letting a little air into the bottle does more wonders for it than one might think.

I'm loving this stuff with a bit of ice.... maybe I'll put the rest of the bottle in the decanter & see what happens.

We can't forget the 2009 T shirts proclaiming " I survived the Knob Creek Shortage" ....or some kind of words to that effect. I have always liked it, continue to do so. I don't see it changing anytime soon. BTW, where I was we never did see the shortage, but I will admit others did.

I enjoy KC. It's at an excellent proof and has some good spiciness. I've had some bottles that weren't as oakey as I would have liked. I'd like to do a blind tasting between KC and JBBiB to see which is better price per ounce.

Opened a store select two days ago that is very good. I'm not the biggest fan of the Beam profile but this is a darn good bottle of bourbon. I may need to revisit a few of its counterparts...

I really enjoy this but the more I drink the more I realize how much I like BT juice.......

Revisiting this and enjoying it. Quite smoky/woody but a nice pour regardless.

KC was what first revealed to me the quality that can come out of Beam. Years ago I was used to trying the eponymous bourbons from each distillery and pretty much left Beam stuff out aside from Jim and cokes, much preferring the stuff from 4R, WT, and BT. I bought a store select last month that I have yet to crack but find the regular KC to be a great sipper so I am looking forward to it.

Like Makers Mark, I think Knob Creek suffers (at least in the minds of hard-core bourbon fans like us) from being "common," for lack of a better word. It is readily available in most major markets throughout the country, isn't terribly expensive and can be found in many restaurants and bars. For some, this means that it isn't very special. I've personally always enjoyed KC and appreciate the fact that Beam has put out a quality product at an affordable price that hasn't moved much over the years. Here in Chicagoland it typically costs around $26 and can be found cheaper on sale. For a nine-year-old at 100 proof that's hard to beat!

Like Makers Mark, I think Knob Creek suffers (at least in the minds of hard-core bourbon fans like us) from being "common," for lack of a better word. It is readily available in most major markets throughout the country, isn't terribly expensive and can be found in many restaurants and bars. For some, this means that it isn't very special. I've personally always enjoyed KC and appreciate the fact that Beam has put out a quality product at an affordable price that hasn't moved much over the years. Here in Chicagoland it typically costs around $26 and can be found cheaper on sale. For a nine-year-old at 100 proof that's hard to beat!

this is exactly why I originally avoided it. Then at a company outing, my choices were KC, MM and BH... so I ordered it to try out and I actually ended up enjoying it. I usually see it on the shelf for $30 though, and when Binny's had it on sale for $25 I picked up a bottle. never seen it lower than that! If it were, I'd say it's a great value bourbon then, not that it's bad where it's at now.

it's a pretty solid bourbon to me, and the single barrel brings it up a notch. I actually prefer the SB right now so I am usually drinking that instead of reg KC, but both hit just the right sweet notes of caramel and vanilla for me.

this is exactly why I originally avoided it. Then at a company outing, my choices were KC, MM and BH... so I ordered it to try out and I actually ended up enjoying it. I usually see it on the shelf for $30 though, and when Binny's had it on sale for $25 I picked up a bottle. never seen it lower than that! If it were, I'd say it's a great value bourbon then, not that it's bad where it's at now.

it's a pretty solid bourbon to me, and the single barrel brings it up a notch. I actually prefer the SB right now so I am usually drinking that instead of reg KC, but both hit just the right sweet notes of caramel and vanilla for me.

Try Sam's Club or Costco the next time you're on the hunt for regular KC. Both have it for $26.

Try Sam's Club or Costco the next time you're on the hunt for regular KC. Both have it for $26.

So jealous of prices south of me. $35.96 + 6% sales tax up here.

ahh... that would be the key. I'm not a member of either place, don't know if I have a need for it yet or not. I know I saw a giant bottle of EC12 at costco for $40 once, but I was only there with my inlaws who are members. might be time to get my own membership or borrow their card. thanks for the tip.

ahh... that would be the key. I'm not a member of either place, don't know if I have a need for it yet or not. I know I saw a giant bottle of EC12 at costco for $40 once, but I was only there with my inlaws who are members. might be time to get my own membership or borrow their card. thanks for the tip.

u dont need to be a member of costco for alcohol or pharmacy purchases (at least here in MI)

u dont need to be a member of costco for alcohol or pharmacy purchases (at least here in MI)

I'm not going to defend politicians or overly complicated liquor laws. But, I think it's worth keeping in mind that even today a lot of the laws we have can at least be partially traced to when prohibition was repealed. Couple that with each state having their own set of laws plus a political system that favors the status quo and it's understandable that the laws seem so bizarre.

Back to the topic on hand: as others have noted, KC is a consistently good poor that you can find just about anywhere. It's a great mix of sweetness, oak, and a little bit of "earthiness."

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.