Stephen Foster Rye

chasking
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On my recent trip to Wisconsin, I noticed both liters and handles of Stephen Foster Rye at a store I visited. My understanding is that Stephen Foster was a Heaven Hill product, but it's not listed among their brands on their web site. I'm sure it's an astronomically small part of their business, but still. Anybody know if it's been discontinued?

On my recent trip to Wisconsin, I noticed both liters and handles of Stephen Foster Rye at a store I visited. My understanding is that Stephen Foster was a Heaven Hill product, but it's not listed among their brands on their web site. I'm sure it's an astronomically small part of their business, but still. Anybody know if it's been discontinued?

I think it's a 36 month old 80 proof version of Rittenhouse that HH put out to compete with Fleischmann's Rye in the same market.

I think it's a 36 month old 80 proof version of Rittenhouse that HH put out to compete with Fleischmann's Rye in the same market.

It is indeed 36 months old, and sits right next to Fleischmann's on the shelf. It's been around for a while, but I don't know anything about the history of the brand. I'm just wondering if it's going away, since it's not on the HH web site. (BT puts Fleischmann's Rye on their site, and I'm sure it's an equally small brand.) They can no doubt use every gallon of rye in their pipeline for Rittenhouse, so maybe they're not supporting it any more. Or maybe it's just too small and local for them to bother listing among their brands. Or maybe they sold the brand, although I'd think if someone bought an established rye brand (even a little one like Stephen Foster) they'd do something with it. Or, Pikesville used to be basically the same as Foster, and they've re-vamped that brand now; maybe they're in the process of doing something like that with Foster.

My interest is mainly academic since I've got a couple liters of it and they are not in much danger of being used up very soon, and anyway I've got the readily-available Ritt BIB too if I want HH rye. I'm just curious because it's something of an old pal---back when I first found it, I was excited because it's such an obscure brand and not widely available.

Edited by chasking

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.