Spirited Cooked Eggnog

MashBill
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With the holiday season rapidly approaching, I thought I would offer this up.

SPIRITED COOKED EGGNOG

Since I first took this to the office 7 years ago, it has become an annual request and has converted many non-eggnog drinkers. I now have to make a double batch. The whipped cream has a tendency to float to the top, so you should forgo the usual punch bowl and serve it from a container with a screw-on top that can be shaken to mix the contents.

INGREDIENTS

8 eggs

1/2 gallon whole milk

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup whipping cream, whipped

3/4 to 1 cup of your favorite bourbon

Nutmeg (freshly grated)

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large saucepan blend together eggs, milk, sugar and salt. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and just coats a metal spoon, about 20 minutes. Stir in vanilla.

Note: You are effectively making a thin custard. This cooks the eggs and eliminates any possibility of bacterial contamination, which can occur with recipes using raw eggs.

Cool quickly by setting pan in a bowl of ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes. (If you over-cook, you will end up with scrambled eggs……) Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Fold in whipped cream. Stir in bourbon. When serving, sprinkle nutmeg over each cupful.

Makes 10 to 12 cups.

Enjoy!

Bill Legge

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.