What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After this discussion, I had to go pour two fingers of Pikesville! :drink:

After I finish this WT101 12yr in my glass, I'm going to join you.

As promised, I followed with Pikesville. Then with some CEHT rye. It was the second to last pour and as usual for the end of a bottle, it was "on". It's always that way with the ones your'e not sure about at the end. Need to stay strong and remember all the average nights. Followed that with Handy. Handy is the clear winner. I have plenty of those bunkered which is reason enough to abstain from the CEHT.

On a rye kick thanks to the Pikesville purchase last week. Started with the last pour of the CEHT rye. As per usual with the last pour of a bottle you're not sure about, it was singing. I will not cave in and rush out to buy another. Following with WT101 rye. I'm sensing Pikesville and Handy in my near future.

I went back to the Old Potrero last night. It's a very old bottle of their 19th-century style, from back when it was still sold at barrel proof. (I added some water.) Being distilled from a mash of 100% malted rye, it has a different flavor from more traditional ryes made with unmalted grain, but I like it quite a bit. The most amazing thing about it is how good it is for its youth. IIRC, it's only a couple/few years old, but it doesn't show any of the harshness or feinty character I've come to associate with very young whiskeys.

This bottle's not going to last much longer. I recently picked up a bottle of a new whiskey called Oppidan, which is also made from all malted rye. It has the same flavor profile, but I think the Potrero is a little bit tastier (although also more expensive and tougher to find). When the Oppidan is gone, I think I'll have to get another bottle of Old Potrero. The current version is cut to 97 proof, but it should still be excellent.

I went back to the Old Potrero last night. It's a very old bottle of their 19th-century style, from back when it was still sold at barrel proof. (I added some water.) Being distilled from a mash of 100% malted rye, it has a different flavor from more traditional ryes made with unmalted grain, but I like it quite a bit. The most amazing thing about it is how good it is for its youth. IIRC, it's only a couple/few years old, but it doesn't show any of the harshness or feinty character I've come to associate with very young whiskeys.

This bottle's not going to last much longer. I recently picked up a bottle of a new whiskey called Oppidan, which is also made from all malted rye. It has the same flavor profile, but I think the Potrero is a little bit tastier (although also more expensive and tougher to find). When the Oppidan is gone, I think I'll have to get another bottle of Old Potrero. The current version is cut to 97 proof, but it should still be excellent.

I picked up the Oppidan for much the same reason as I like the Old Potero. I thought it was clearly younger (it is 1-ish year old) and probably impacted by small barrels in a less than desirable way. I think Old Potrero gets aged in larger barrels and of course is generally older (3+ years I think) which likely accounts for better flavor at a youngish age.

Oppidan had some potential I thought. They also have a bourbon on the market now. I tried it at a recent whisky show and thought it to be decent but hard to judge at those kinds of events where you are tasting a bunch of stuff in rapid order!

Until the Oppidan came out, the only other whiskey I had found with that pronounced malted rye flavor was Lot 40 Canadian whiskey, although I've detected it less assertively in other Canadians.

I'm continually amazed at the difference malting makes in the flavor of a whiskey, both comparing malted rye whiskeys to unmalted rye whiskeys, and comparing Irish whiskeys with unmalted barley to Scotch malts. I would love a chance to try whiskey made with other malted grains that we don't usually encounter, like malted wheat or malted corn.

Two Manhattans made with Willett 4 Yr Rye. Standard recipe of 1.5 oz rye, 0.75 oz vermouth rouge (Dolin) and a few dashes Angostura bitters. Then I did something sacrilegious that I've been wanting to do for a long time. I shot in a mL of Grenadine. Sure made it sweeter.

I cut & mulched leaves at my sister's house and then came home and cut & edged my yard. It might have been a bit cool for shorts in Indiana but I'm still holding onto Summer. I just poured a glass of Pikesville Rye to warm me up and ease the pain.

HW MWND, Act 2.3 Scene 905 from last year. This year's release made me realize I still have a bit of this guy left

A local store's pick of 4R cask strength OBSO with a small ice cube while sitting at home watching some TV show on how the brain works (very well, I am sure).

This followed two neat KC with water chasers (followed by a big ginger ale because I like it) at a restaurant over about an hour of conversation.

Wonderful Veterans' Day night.

EDIT - oops - this is the rye thread. CUT ME OFF, BOSS!!

Opened a bottle of Baby Saz this weekend. It'd been more than a year since I've had a bottle open. It was just as good as I had remembered.

Had some Willett 2-year and followed it up with my first pour of Pikesville. The Pikesville is seriously impressive. I was able to get a bottle for $32 and will be headed back to that store on Friday after work to get more. There is a great balance of oak, spice, and sweetness.

Had some Willett 2-year and followed it up with my first pour of Pikesville. The Pikesville is seriously impressive. I was able to get a bottle for $32 and will be headed back to that store on Friday after work to get more. There is a great balance of oak, spice, and sweetness.

$32 is a great price! About $20 less than my local price so makes you wonder if it was a mistake. Might want to get more!

Pikesville is generally available in the low $40s throughout Indiana. I am finding it to be more widely available than what I would expect for an "allocated" product. I have been seeing it on the shelf in most liquor stores I visit.

Well with Jim Murray saying it's the second best whiskey in the world in this year's whiskey bible (it's good, but what?), the price might go up, or at least availability could go down. All aboard the hype train guys

Jeez! Can't he name Kentucky Owl or maybe that "Rollins Creek" that eminent bourbon expert Robert Parker liked so well and leave the reasonably priced good stuff alone??? :skep:

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!