What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did a SBS with the Rittlepig blend and 'new' Pikesville tonight. RP 100p and 7 yrs (50/50 vat) and P coming in at 110 and 6.

I love Canadian rye, and the subtle balance of the blend brings the best of each component forward IMO. The blend rye spice, although subtle, is forward on the palate from the start and then tapers gently to a mild and moderate finish.

As I noted yesterday, what's amazing about the Pikesville is how the rye doesn't come forward until the mid to latter part of the finish. It's a much richer and bolder pour as well. Just a fantastic interplay of complexity... chocolate, fruit, white pepper, barn yard dirt, and coffee. This is a welcome addition to the lineup!

Enjoyed a three finger pour of KC after getting soaked (coming and going) from the annual blue white basketball scrimmage tonight.

Well after finishing the pour, here I am entranced by this amazing game 1 of the World Series! Boy, are we in for a treat with these two teams! :duel:

It's blustery and autumnal here, so I mixed up a couple hot toddies for the wife and me with Stephen Foster Rye.

Pikesville. #ican'tstayoutofthisbottle

Darn you......it's not available here yet for some reason and you're making me want one real bad. I'm gonna have to order one online if it doesn't show up soon.

Darn you......it's not available here yet for some reason and you're making me want one real bad. I'm gonna have to order one online if it doesn't show up soon.

Steve, I'd have the local check with their distributer.

If it's not coming in within the next couple of weeks, I'd say you better order up buddy! :rolleyes:

A very nice addition to my hitting order, it is!

Steve, I'd have the local check with their distributer.

If it's not coming in within the next couple of weeks, I'd say you better order up buddy! :rolleyes:

A very nice addition to my hitting order, it is!

Haha, yes. I had the local check yesterday in fact. They said the distributor doesn't show that they are carrying it so they put in a request. If this doesn't bear fruit within a week I'm letting my fingers do the walking.

Ate dinner at a place in WA last night that had Pikesville. I think the bartender cracked open the bottle to give me my pour. Given their proximity to OR, they may have smuggled it across the border, or it could be starting to trickle out in WA.

Fyi -- to anyone else out there in OR or WA out towards the Gorge or up in the hills...Camas, WA is starting to get some nice dining options, and you don't have to drive all the way into Portland...

Ate dinner at a place in WA last night that had Pikesville. I think the bartender cracked open the bottle to give me my pour. Given their proximity to OR, they may have smuggled it across the border, or it could be starting to trickle out in WA.

Fyi -- to anyone else out there in OR or WA out towards the Gorge or up in the hills...Camas, WA is starting to get some nice dining options, and you don't have to drive all the way into Portland...

I came across a random facebook post from about a month ago that Pikesville was released in Washington then but it's perhaps only gone to bars/restaurants so far.

Finally found a Pikesville at one of the small independent stores and picked one up and I wasted no time in opening it as soon as I got home. First impressions are fantastic. I can see why Paddy can't stay out of his bottle. I'm also not getting the rye spice until the end of the finish. I'm impressed.

Starting with CEHT. The bottle only has one more pour. I hadn't planned on replacing it for a while because of the price, but it's hitting on all cylinders right now...

CEHT for me last evening. This is a really good rye. Perhaps not quite worth the premium price, but I am glad I picked up a few bottles of it recently when I had the chance.

Had a pour of Michter's BP rye last night. Incredible nose. Flavor was very sweet (more than I remember previously) up front with a lot of spiciness on the finish.

Followed with a pour of CEHT. Wasn't quite as good as the Michter's last night. Seemed smoother and less complex.

Starting with CEHT. The bottle only has one more pour. I hadn't planned on replacing it for a while because of the price, but it's hitting on all cylinders right now...

CEHT Rye is a schizo one for me too Spade. Some times its spot on and other times not. Can't figure that one out as not a common experience for me with other whiskeys. Also just seems to lack a little bit more something, maybe even oomph, at its price tag.

As as to my Rye pours tonight I finished off the remains of a WP 10 and private barrel of Jeffersons 10. WP Rye was far superior but at twice the cost it should be, I guess.

CEHT Rye is a schizo one for me too Spade. Some times its spot on and other times not. Can't figure that one out as not a common experience for me with other whiskeys. Also just seems to lack a little bit more something, maybe even oomph, at its price tag.

As as to my Rye pours tonight I finished off the remains of a WP 10 and private barrel of Jeffersons 10. WP Rye was far superior but at twice the cost it should be, I guess.

Same here, T. I just can't put my finger on the CEHT Rye. And, I don't know why??? Certainly, this means if has not grabbed my attention, but I can say I enjoyed my bottle...

Does a rye fail if it doesn't grab your attention ?

It is all about expectations. Sometimes it is price, sometimes it is a review or a comment on these boards, but when I taste something it is hard to approach it without some kind pre-existing idea of what is coming. I know it is a hassle, but set up a little blind tasting with the CEHT and another couple of ryes that you like. If it fares poorly, you have your answer. Have some fun with it and let us know how it goes.

I'm on my second pour of Pikesville while watching The Bastard Executioner. First impression was its kind of rough but switching to a small tumbler and allowing plenty of time to air I'm finding it quite enjoyable.

For me, CEHT ranges from "maybe worth its price" to "definitely worth it". I often get some citrus and grassy notes to go along with the more traditional rye notes. I love the complexity when that happens. Other times, those notes are less prominent. Still, even then it's pretty unique compared to other eyes — it's different from both "barely legal" and MGP ryes.

For me, CEHT ranges from "maybe worth its price" to "definitely worth it". I often get some citrus and grassy notes to go along with the more traditional rye notes. I love the complexity when that happens. Other times, those notes are less prominent. Still, even then it's pretty unique compared to other eyes — it's different from both "barely legal" and MGP ryes.

This is a good summary of how I view CEHT rye as well. My initial impressions of Pikesville have me thinking I don't need to bother with CEHT any more.

Spade and Steve, I concur with you both. CEHT is a complex and nicely done rye, but it doesn't give me enough (of any of it's strength's) to make me go wow! Maybe, that's its major weakness (along with it's price:lol:).

On the other hand, Pikesville presents its wiles with authority... just as a good woman does! :grin:

High West Mid Winter. My second bottle of of this whiskey and it might be my favorite rye.

I would say this is one of my favorite whisky's. I was SHOCKED at how good this was. For me I rank it in BTAC territory. It was that good. My first pour was Act 3 Scene 1. An amazing pour.

Spade and Steve, I concur with you both. CEHT is a complex and nicely done rye, but it doesn't give me enough (of any of it's strength's) to make me go wow! Maybe, that's its major weakness (along with it's price:lol:).

On the other hand, Pikesville presents its wiles with authority... just as a good woman does! :grin:

When CEHT is "on", it's about all I want to drink. Problem is, it's only "on" for about 2 pours out of the bottle whereas the rest are just average. I don't need to pay $80 for average.

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!