Jump to content

What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?


This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

Harry in WashDC
13 hours ago, flahute said:

This reminds me.......with a name like Five Fathers, I think it deserves a five finger pour. (Recommend doing that in a glencairn so you can still walk afterward.)

I can't GET five fingers down inside a Glencairn.  And, all this talk about BT #2 on some other threads has me reaching for my basic BT instead of more rye tonight.  @ 90 proof, it is suited to use as a snow shoveling aid.  And it sure looks like snow here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Paddy

    43

  • flahute

    33

  • Harry in WashDC

    11

  • jeffrey r

    11

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fire in the fireplace.....check - big bowl of pasta ...... check    finally, a big glass of of Dad's Hat Vermouth Finish Rye with a twist of orange peel.......check     I am all ready for the big snow storm

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC

Unfortunately for me, my bottle of basic DHR is unavailable right now.  BUT, when the snow melts, the Vermouth finish is on my short list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost finished my half bottle of rittenhouse within an ounce making sazeracs and perfect Manhattans for me and a couple of friends. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't everybody let their jaws drop 'cause I'm posting here. :o Yes, I'm a wheater whore, and I'm not into ryes. However, I'm having a pour of Pikesville Rye that another member was gracious enough to give me a sample of. I gotta say this stuff is pretty darned good.  :P

Cheers! Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Don't everybody let their jaws drop 'cause I'm posting here. :o Yes, I'm a wheater whore, and I'm not into ryes. However, I'm having a pour of Pikesville Rye that another member was gracious enough to give me a sample of. I gotta say this stuff is pretty darned good.  :P

Cheers! Joe

Come to the dark side Joe (we've got cookies!) ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darylld911 said:

Come to the dark side Joe (we've got cookies!) ;)

And don't forget the chocolates!  Attaboy Joe!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of delicious pours of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye last night.  It was really hitting the spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just opened my last bottle of HW 21yr rye.  Birthday gift from a few years ago.  Terrific rye whiskey.  I've had virtually every rye available (including VWFRR 13 and SAZ 18) and this remains my favorite.  If you ever get the chance, try it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sipping on some HW Rendezvous finished in bourbon barrels. It's pretty nice. Adds some roundness and sweetness to the Rendezvous profile. Price was a little steep so I don't know if I'll buy more, but I like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

WTRR followed by KC.  This bottle of KC I'm currently into has really shined.  Probably the best sub $40 bottle in my collection at the present...

Link to post
Share on other sites
MeAndMyWhiskey

Bid farewell last night to the last drops of a Willett Family Estate 4 year. It had all the MGP DNA but really well balanced with some darker and deeper vanilla and caramel (bordering on milk chocolate) notes in the background. Those fresh and spicy herbal notes really play well on that dark, sweet backdrop.

I know it doesn't have nearly the age of the 16 year in Rendezvous, but it had a similar interplay of deep sweetness and fresh herbal spice, only IMO better integrated than in Rendezvous. I'm sure it's just the power of suggestion, but i still think that Rendezvous, though really delicious, drinks like a vatting of two good whiskies and not like one fully integrated whiskey.

Or maybe I was just romanticizing the bottle as I finished it off. 

I was lucky enough to have scored that Willett a couple of years ago and now the realization that I scored a 110 proof rye like that for under $40 seems inconceivable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MeAndMyWhiskey said:

I was lucky enough to have scored that Willett a couple of years ago and now the realization that I scored a 110 proof rye like that for under $40 seems inconceivable.

There is a reason for that. These days it pretty much is!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MeAndMyWhiskey said:

Bid farewell last night to the last drops of a Willett Family Estate 4 year. It had all the MGP DNA but really well balanced with some darker and deeper vanilla and caramel (bordering on milk chocolate) notes in the background. Those fresh and spicy herbal notes really play well on that dark, sweet backdrop.

I know it doesn't have nearly the age of the 16 year in Rendezvous, but it had a similar interplay of deep sweetness and fresh herbal spice, only IMO better integrated than in Rendezvous. I'm sure it's just the power of suggestion, but i still think that Rendezvous, though really delicious, drinks like a vatting of two good whiskies and not like one fully integrated whiskey.

Or maybe I was just romanticizing the bottle as I finished it off. 

I was lucky enough to have scored that Willett a couple of years ago and now the realization that I scored a 110 proof rye like that for under $40 seems inconceivable.

I don't know what kind of voodoo Willett used with those 4 year old ryes originating from LDI/MGP, but boy are they good.  I am fortunate to have picked up the last few bottles I came across several years ago, and still have a few in the bunker.  I think those last few bottles were like $35 instead of the previous $30, and that annoyed me at the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MeAndMyWhiskey said:

Bid farewell last night to the last drops of a Willett Family Estate 4 year.

I have 6 oz of the WFE 4 Yr archived for future tasting.  What I've consumed so far meets your appraisal.  A few ryes don't need to be more than 4 years to have sharply etched, lovely features.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC

Baby Saz formed the heart of Sazeracs (Herbsaint, Peychauds, and Angorstura formed the body) we served at a Mardi Gras party for the neighborhood today (kids included - they had Shirley Temples or apple juice).  Was going to use WT101 but changed my mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.