Rough Riders Straight Bourbon Whisky?

skiwez2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

Hope you can clarify something for me. I just came across the "straight bourbon"

I thought in order to be called straight bourbon it needed to be aged in new charred white oak barrels. According to their literature, they are finishing them in wine casks

These casks undergo a “cask finishing wash”, with a very unique 180-proof brandy distilled from local Long Island Chardonnay, that tempers each wine barrel prior to filling it with the bourbon. Rough Rider mellows while acquiring its distinctive character during this delicate second maturation period, adding a layer of dark red fruit and honey notes to the small batch straight bourbon.

http://lispirits.com/product/straight-bourbon-whisky/

Just wondering???

Yes, as you see in your original quote, they described this as a second maturation period with the first assumed to be in new charred oak (since it's straight).

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I may try it, next time I see it. Not sure what it's selling for, but guessing it will probably be a premium price coming from a micro

The bottle I have is also from batch 1 and it was around $35, so not too pricey for a micro distillery.

However I must say after trying it, I don't really like the brandy finishing. Maybe I got an odd bottle, but it tasted more like a chardonnay finish instead, which is not my thing.

• 2 years later...

Long Island Bourbon!  Guess everyone is getting into that act.  I rec'd this as a gift.

I went to Long Island Vodka (LIV) after getting the bottle.  They have a huge column still.  But they would not let me down into the distillery. 

It is a straight bourbon and batch #9.  Sorry guys. I am not the taster some of you guys are.  I can give impressions.  It has that taste I usually associate with a younger bourbon.  It is also on the sweeter side.  Maybe some who is better than me, can chime in with better tasting notes.   But bottom line is that it is a pleasant tasting bourbon.  I am enjoying the bottle I have.

Regards to all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.