BOTM 10/15: Noah's Mill

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The first bottle of this I bought several years ago because I'd never had it and thought it was pretty decent @ $40 for a 114 proofer. Decent enough that I bought two more, but my second bottle did not impress me so it still sits on the back bar 1/2 full and the third grows dusty in the bunker. If only there were some way to find out what I SHOULD be drinking at 114 proof! Maybe there's a group of guys somewhere that could suggest some decent value 114 proofer... :D

21 hours ago, JTaylor said:

The first bottle of this I bought several years ago because I'd never had it and thought it was pretty decent @ $40 for a 114 proofer. Decent enough that I bought two more, but my second bottle did not impress me so it still sits on the back bar 1/2 full and the third grows dusty in the bunker. If only there were some way to find out what I SHOULD be drinking at 114 proof! Maybe there's a group of guys somewhere that could suggest some decent value 114 proofer... :D

OGD 114 hands down 

• 1 month later...

I bought my first(and last)bottle of this tonite. Paid $43.99 and quite frankly it's the worst tasting bottle of bourbon I own.  Hopefully it gets better as it gets some air but what a disappointment. It has very little flavor and finishes with a burn. Adding ice makes it somewhat bareable but it still lacks flavor.  I've got batch 12-26. 

On 11/1/2016 at 10:09 AM, dcbt said:

I don't buy this just out of principle from Spec's forcing it down customers' throats every time they walk in the door (years ago even, I still won't touch it).

"Looking for Buffalo Trace?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for OGD BiB?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for WT 101 rye?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for 2014 Weather Pinot Noir?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

Edit to add, I did succumb to this the first time years ago.  I wasn't overly impressed.  Haven't bought a bottle since.

That's pretty funny. You could always respond with, "Looking to make a sale? I'm not buying anything, but here's an ass to kiss. It's the same thing." :lol:

8 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

That's pretty funny. You could always respond with, "Looking to make a sale? I'm not buying anything, but here's an ass to kiss. It's the same thing." :lol:

LMAO Brian. :lol:

Looks like you waited until almost the end of the year for consideration of "post of the year". :D

Cheers! Joe

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

bought a Noah's Mill a while ago, still have some. A bit higher in alcohol. IIRC over 100 proof. I liked it, my buddy thought there was too much alcohol for him. I do prefer 90 proof and less if possible. 

5 minutes ago, Backdoctor said:

bought a Noah's Mill a while ago, still have some. A bit higher in alcohol. IIRC over 100 proof. I liked it, my buddy thought there was too much alcohol for him. I do prefer 90 proof and less if possible. 

One always has the option of adding small (or large, I suppose) amounts of water, or ice to one's own Bourbon. 

I (and many others) always say; "Drink your Bourbon the way it gives you the most pleasure".    If taking a higher proof brand down to something like 80-proof or so makes it more enjoyable to you; Absolutely Do That!

The only wrong way to drink your Bourbon is; any way that you aren't enjoying it.

8 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

One always has the option of adding small (or large, I suppose) amounts of water, or ice to one's own Bourbon. 

I (and many others) always say; "Drink your Bourbon the way it gives you the most pleasure".    If taking a higher proof brand down to something like 80-proof or so makes it more enjoyable to you; Absolutely Do That!

The only wrong way to drink your Bourbon is; any way that you aren't enjoying it.

I do put ice in it. This one was better after it melted some. I just bought the molds for some big assed ice cubes.... 2.25" square... they don't melt as fast

10 hours ago, Backdoctor said:

I do put ice in it. This one was better after it melted some. I just bought the molds for some big assed ice cubes.... 2.25" square... they don't melt as fast

I sometimes enjoy finding the nuances revealed as ice melts and changes the character of some (especially the higher-proof) Bourbons.    The water so-added brings up additional notes on the palate, as well as the nose, as other ones drop back, endlessly (well, almost) changing the pour, and evolving it right there in your glass.  

Plus, I enjoy hearing the ice clinking in the glass.    I know, I know.    Not such a unique experience.    One can put 'actual' rocks in a glass of water to achieve the same result; but, somehow it's so much better with Bourbon in there.

I don't think the ice melts any less, it's just bigger, so it lasts longer

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I don't think the ice melts any less, it's just bigger, so it lasts longer

Actually one large cube or ice ball will melt slower than a bunch of smaller ice cubes as there is less surface on one large piece of ice vs. many smaller pieces.  Something to do with thermodynamics or some other science I don't understand but my engineer son could explain it to us all.

I R Engineer 2.

The ice should get the bourbon to near freezing pretty quick. Ice has to melt to get stuff cold. Tiny ice will melt faster, but once it gets near freezing, the same amount of ice has melted, more or less, no matter what sized ice cubes.

Once the ice and liquid are the same temp, it doesn't matter how much surface area there is between the ice and liquid.

If you pull the ice cube out before the bourbon gets cold, then you are absolutely correct. Also, if your freezer is set ridiculously cold, that would make a small difference too.

5 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I R Engineer 2.

The ice should get the bourbon to near freezing pretty quick. Ice has to melt to get stuff cold. Tiny ice will melt faster, but once it gets near freezing, the same amount of ice has melted, more or less, no matter what sized ice cubes.

Once the ice and liquid are the same temp, it doesn't matter how much surface area there is between the ice and liquid.

If you pull the ice cube out before the bourbon gets cold, then you are absolutely correct. Also, if your freezer is set ridiculously cold, that would make a small difference too.

HUH???

• 9 months later...

I've made it my mission to finish off a bottle of Noah's Mill that's been open for a year (or two:ph34r:).  When I first opened it, I found it out of balance, with a musty, barnyardy funkiness that leaves one wondering... what the hell!:o 

Fast forward to the present, and interestingly, I've come to appreciate this bottle quite a bit.  Color is a dark, rich, copper.  Nose is cinnamon and licorice.  Mouthfeel is thick, rich and silky.  Taste is oak, licorice, must and spice... none in a perfect balance either, but unique enough in its own way to make things interesting.  The finish is big, bold and lengthy.  My senses tell me that this 'thing' has some decent age on it, whatever that may be.  I do wonder where the hell in the rickhouse this thing grew up!  :lol:

To summarize, I've enjoyed the challenges this bottles presented, and I'm glad I stuck it out.  I have one pour left, and I plan on savoring every drop.  It will be missed... 

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I've made it my mission to finish off a bottle of Noah's Mill that's been open for a year (or two:ph34r:).  When I first opened it, I found it out of balance, with a musty, barnyardy funkiness that leaves one wondering... what the hell!:o 

Fast forward to the present, and interestingly, I've come to appreciate this bottle quite a bit.  Color is a dark, rich, copper.  Nose is cinnamon and licorice.  Mouthfeel is thick, rich and silky.  Taste is oak, licorice, must and spice... none in a perfect balance either, but unique enough in its own way to make things interesting.  The finish is big, bold and lengthy.  My senses tell me that this 'thing' has some decent age on it, whatever that may be.  I do wonder where the hell in the rickhouse this thing grew up!  :lol:

To summarize, I've enjoyed the challenges this bottles presented, and I'm glad I stuck it out.  I have one pour left, and I plan on savoring every drop.  It will be missed... 

Ohhhhhhhh curse you.

Do NOT make me buy another bottle of this.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

I do wonder where the hell in the rickhouse this thing grew up!  :lol:

I think, based on a conversation I had with one of the Willett family members (Hunter Chavanne), that Noah's Mill has been (still is???) a mixture of at least three, and likely more, different distillates, including (at least at one time) some wheater.   So, 'where in the rickhouse', may well be a very complex question to answer.

NM was at one time (several years ago) a favorite of mine and I always kept a bottle open, and had a few back ups. 

In recent years with the difficulty of sourcing similar barrels, that were once (more or less readily) available I assume keeping the profile consistent became a challenge; because the brand has experienced some variability, and not always in a good, or even interesting, way . . .  to my taste buddies, at any rate.

The current distillates in the brand may be rather different than those that have been in the bottles over the last 3, 4 or 5 years, so maybe those issues have sorted themselves out.    I have yet to open the only 'recent' bottle bought a few months ago, having still one of the 'old' ones left in the bunker; so I can't say.

• I like it 1

I was gifted a bottle of this for my birthday last year and to be honest, I've only had a few pours from it. From memory, I really enjoy the big and bold flavor, and it really does make sense that it would be sourced from different distilleries because it can feel like a different bourbon sip to sip. I enjoy that though, it keeps me engaged in the glass. It is easy to sometimes pour a glass of something I've had 200 bottles of, then without realizing it I drank it all. This is a good reminder for me to have a pour of this ASAP as I remember really enjoying it. I don't know if I would buy it myself for $60, although I'm not opposed to it in the future.

4 hours ago, Surtur said:

From memory, I really enjoy the big and bold flavor, and it really does make sense that it would be sourced from different distilleries because it can feel like a different bourbon sip to sip.

Just to be clear: I'm not sure it ever has been, or currently is, sourced from more than one distillery.    I'm not sure it isn't either, though.

8 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

or currently is, sourced from more than one distillery.

Good chance it is now! There's probably some of their own distillate mixed in. Not much though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.