Maker's Mark Private Select

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Based on what I'm seeing from Joe's photo, it wouldn't surprise me if they came down with a partial green roof on the building. Also wouldn't surprise me if they were coring into the stone cliff a bit.

I agree with you, flahute. I took the MM tour last Tuesday. The tour guide described the 46 aging facility as being "underground" but I bit my lip 'cause I didn't want to come off as a smart ass. I was biting my lip quite a bit during that tour. What surprised me the most was that half the folks didn't even touch their sample glasses. 

• 1 year later...

Bump.  I have two MM PSs.  Both are 111.5 proof, but they were purchased at different stores and have different finishing stave combos.  I bumped the thread as some of the older comments (excepting mine which was/is typical rumination) contain some interesting background info; now that some of us have some experience with this program, and because I intend on doing a SBS of these shortly (once I read up on the program so I can figure out what I should be looking for in terms of flavor, etc.), we all might profit by revisiting it.

Note from the pictures the difference in stave combos. The slightly worn back label is on the bottle that spent several months with my spare tire under the trunk floor while the other one spent slightly less time in a paper bag among recyclable grocery bags in a cooler bag.  I retrieved them both when temps here approached 10 F.  I knew they wouldn't freeze, but I thought the contracting corks might allow seepage which would disclose their respective nesting places.

EDIT - I don't know about the Petite Cellars selection (Charlutz?  Anybody?) as this was my first purchase from them, but I know that some Magruders people went to Loretto KY and tried several offerings and picked this one.  I have liked ALL their previous picks from various distillers/producers.

More later.

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

I've got a LRP pick with a different stave mix and slightly lower ABV. I'll bring it home this weekend and post some notes (I'll SBS it with a standard MMCS) . It's been open for about six months and has significantly improved with oxidation.

IMG_8146.thumb.jpg.62eb6b2002b507269f732073ca89ae11.jpg

On 1/8/2018 at 2:57 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Bump.  I have two MM PSs.  Both are 111.5 proof, but they were purchased at different stores and have different finishing stave combos.  I bumped the thread as some of the older comments (excepting mine which was/is typical rumination) contain some interesting background info; now that some of us have some experience with this program, and because I intend on doing a SBS of these shortly (once I read up on the program so I can figure out what I should be looking for in terms of flavor, etc.), we all might profit by revisiting it.

Note from the pictures the difference in stave combos. The slightly worn back label is on the bottle that spent several months with my spare tire under the trunk floor while the other one spent slightly less time in a paper bag among recyclable grocery bags in a cooler bag.  I retrieved them both when temps here approached 10 F.  I knew they wouldn't freeze, but I thought the contracting corks might allow seepage which would disclose their respective nesting places.

EDIT - I don't know about the Petite Cellars selection (Charlutz?  Anybody?) as this was my first purchase from them, but I know that some Magruders people went to Loretto KY and tried several offerings and picked this one.  I have liked ALL their previous picks from various distillers/producers.

More later.

Harry,

I didn't talk to the guy about the selection but I did stop in and sample a few of there store picks about two months ago (Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Single Barrel, and the Maker's Mark Private Select you have there).  In my opinion I ranked them MMPS, EC, RRSB with teh Maker's Mark being my favorite by a pretty good margin.  I just went back recently to pick up their WhistlePig store select and noticed that they also had another MMPS ("Cuvee #2").  I tried that too and thought that it was very good, but showed a little bit of restraint and only left with the pig.

Sorry, Harry, I missed this post. I tried that MM but don’t recall anything about it. I didn’t buy a bottle. 

• 4 months later...

Seems like there was some deep skepticism earlier in this thread... I've been kind of out of the Bourbon game so to speak but I tried a bottle in NOLA over Spring Break and I was very pleasantly surprised.

37 minutes ago, ChainWhip said:

Seems like there was some deep skepticism earlier in this thread... I've been kind of out of the Bourbon game so to speak but I tried a bottle in NOLA over Spring Break and I was very pleasantly surprised.

What!!!!?!!!!......Who are you? :)

What!!!!?!!!!......Who are you? [emoji4]
Hah! I know right? What the...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.