Trip to bourbon country - what are your lesser-known "must see/do" recommendations

BrianB
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In my "introduce yourself post" I mentioned that I'm about to head back to bourbon country for the 3rd time (having done the complete Bourbon Trail twice, plus other great visits such as Buffalo Trace). This trip is going to be less structured since we don't need to worry about completing the list of places in the "passport". I plan to read as many of the topics here in the "Distillery Trips" section as possible before we leave, but we're leaving in 2 days and I don't know how many I can get through before we go. Having just found these forums by chance I very much want to avoid getting back to Florida only to read a post and wishing I had done that while we were up there.

To summarize my introductory post (so you'd have an idea what kind of places/things I'd find interesting) I am an enthusiast/collector who loves to try new things and is very into the history and technical aspects of everything bourbon. I love doing the distillery tours - especially the ones where there is more emphasis on the actual process and less of the marketing shtick. I also love food so any awesome restaurants that should not be missed are of interest. We'll be traveling the entire state, so no matter where your "must see" place is, the suggestion will be welcome.

As far as what we have roughly planned (having done the entire Bourbon Trail twice now) we'll be doing 3 of the Buffalo Trace tours that require advance registration (we've only done the regular tour previously), will be revisiting some of our favorite tours such as Maker's Mark, and visiting some places we missed on prior trips such as the Barton 1792 distillery. There will be lots of liquor store visits looking for things that aren't available down here in Florida, and also keeping an eye open for rare finds that are sometimes had in out-of-the-way liquor stores. I hope to gain at least 20 pounds eating on the trip, so there will be lots of restaurant visits - emphasizing bourbon bars/restaurants when possible.

So, the long and the short of it is if you were coming up from Florida and probably wouldn't be back to Kentucky for at least another year, what would you absolutely make sure you did while you were there? Less touristy gems that only locals know about are particularly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately they were closed by the time I arrived at the Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg but I hear The Old Owl Tavern or The Owl's Nest Pub offer some nice bourbons. The next time I'm in Kentucky I plan to go.

I'm a little envious. You have a straight shot up I75 to the Lexington, KY area. Are you going to budget time to visit stores in Valdosta, Macon, Atlanta, Athens, Chattanooga, and places in between? Rhetorical question, but I sometimes forget to build in such time when I'm on the road.

If you're visiting Barton, Willett is just around the corner and you can pick up some of their Family Estate Bourbon which is now only offered there.

Sounds fun. Definitely snag up the Maker's 46 Cask Strength. I'll be picking up more the next time I'm there.

I saw from your introduction that you're also interested in bourbon history. Maybe a drive by the sites of the Old Taylor and Old Crow distilleries would be interesting. They're near Woodford Reserve. Both have been purchased, and are being refurbished. Another site that might be worth visiting is the old T.W. Samuels distillery. It's on Deatsville Road near Four Roses Cox's Creek.

Cheers! Joe

I saw from your introduction that you're also interested in bourbon history. Maybe a drive by the sites of the Old Taylor and Old Crow distilleries would be interesting. They're near Woodford Reserve. Both have been purchased, and are being refurbished. Another site that might be worth visiting is the old T.W. Samuels distillery. It's on Deatsville Road near Four Roses Cox's Creek.

Cheers! Joe

Great tip Joe!

I've got a friend who is helping with the refurb at Old Taylor, and am happy to report that they received a shipment of 750ml bottles for future use just today! They don't have any formal tours set up at this time, but a stop by to say hello is generally well received.

Sounds fun. Definitely snag up the Maker's 46 Cask Strength. I'll be picking up more the next time I'm there.

Ooooh. Maker's 46 cask strength. Yummy. :-)

When we did the Woodford tour last year we happened to be in the dump room when they were dumping some Double Oaked. The tour guide went over to the barrel they were dumping and caught some in a glass and gave it to our group to pass around. OMG - it was awesome. We enthusiastically recommended they bottle and sell cask strength Double Oaked.

Thanks Joe. We're planning on hitting the Four Roses Warehouse and Bottling (Cox's Creek) as we only did the distillery last time, so we'll be right there and will have to drop in.

I've got a friend who is helping with the refurb at Old Taylor, and am happy to report that they received a shipment of 750ml bottles for future use just today! They don't have any formal tours set up at this time, but a stop by to say hello is generally well received.

Then stop by and say hello we shall.

Have you been to a cooperage? Independent Stave in Lebanon, Kentucky, offers tours.

Yes - last year we went to ISC and that was a GREAT tour! The folks there were amazingly nice and the tour was free.

Have you been to a cooperage? Independent Stave in Lebanon, Kentucky, offers tours.

I second that suggestion. My wife and I did the tour about a month ago. Very interesting. Though there were no samples to taste at the end.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I was there ..all the distillery was very nice and staff. Was fun and educated for me . The only thing that I did like the state law ..no liquor store open till 12.00 am on Sunday .I was wake up early and lost in time was boring ..for those who from West coast plan to go out there for couple days GO ON WEEK DAY ..more fun even down town Louisville ..down town was shut out Sunday night .. anyway still a very good trip to the BOURBON holy land..cheers guy

• 2 weeks later...

I would add the Small Batch/Micro distillers. Barrel House in Lexington makes a VERY good moonshine, some aged, and rum as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.