What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2015/16

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thought it was time we started a new Antipodean thread since you guys are still keeping the 2014 version alive and well.

So I pose the question again to the crew downunder...

What bourbon are you appreciative of at the moment?...

An Enjoying a few weeks off drinking before the festive season (and a number of late November/December family birthdays) kick off. So not drinking anything, but I did notice First Choice are advertising that they have the Ole Smokey Moonshine range in stock. Prices start from $45 up to $74, but introduction prices are a few dollars lower. There's in store tastings as well. Did someone say Moonshine Apple Pie! :):)

A bit of a scotch kick going of late with some Talisker, Lagavulin and Laphroaig all getting some love. But tonight I had a Bourbon craving.

Started with a Blanton's, followed up with a High West American Prairie Reserve and finished with a Eagle Rare. All had in a Glencairn with a touch of water.

Just like Cam after this weekend I'm going to take a break from booze for 4-5 Weeks and diet to drop some kg's before I holiday on 19th where I will be eating and drinking whatever I want and whenever I want for 10 days. :grin:

After almost 3 weeks trekking around Vietnam drinking 70 cent rice beer and not much else Ive been craving a bourbon so tonight Im having a big pour of Bookers and loving it

After almost 3 weeks trekking around Vietnam drinking 70 cent rice beer and not much else Ive been craving a bourbon so tonight Im having a big pour of Bookers and loving it

An Enjoying a few weeks off drinking before the festive season (and a number of late November/December family birthdays) kick off. So not drinking anything, but I did notice First Choice are advertising that they have the Ole Smokey Moonshine range in stock. Prices start from $45 up to $74, but introduction prices are a few dollars lower. There's in store tastings as well. Did someone say Moonshine Apple Pie! :) :)

I love the stuff but it's just flavoured neutral I believe. I should bring you a sample of the real McCoy!

Anyone tried Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit? I'm debating a purchase of a bottle. That or Rare Breed. I love Standard 101, had a love/hate relationship with Rare Breed and haven't tried the Ky Spirit. Sadly this will be my first local Bourbon purchase:(

Anyone tried Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit?

I have a bottle. Mine was a disappointment for the price. I prefer both Russell's Reserve and Rare Breed to it. I feel where those 2 both very much have their own Identity my bottle of KS was somewhere in the middle with some characteristics of each.

A little post event with this... but I was fortunate enough to attend an event in Brisbane with Chris Morris - Master Distiller at Woodford Reserve on Thursday. In an hour long tasting, we sampled standard Woodford and Woodford Double Oak. I really enjoyed the tasting format - pairing cheese, orange, walnut, dark chocolate and maple syrup when tasting standard Woodford to bring out different characteristics in bourbon was not something I'd done before and it worked well IMO.

Chris was a true gentleman, and we had the chance to chat with him one-on-one for a bit before the event started. He really enjoyed his whirlwind trip Downunder, was getting into some locally made wines he can't get at home and seemed to like visiting the different cities (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane).

Is the Double Oaked coming to the likes of Dan Murphy's anytime soon? I came close to grabbing a bottle from mybottleshop.com.au.

Interesting they were here locally for a tasting, must do reasonably well in Oz. Always found Woodford pleasant enough but just missed something I feel.

Picked up a few bottles on the weekend. Random bottle shop had Jeffersons, ELT and EWSB03 on the shelf. How could I leave them? They were all covered in a good layer of dust and must have been there awhile. The Jeffersons cork disintegrated when I opened it. But so far I am really digging it.

Hey guys. I'm headed to Perth next week for work.

How many bottles can you bring into Australia at a time? In Canada it's one, in the UK it's 3 of regular proof, in the US it's pretty much unlimited, what's Australia like?

Hey guys. I'm headed to Perth next week for work.

How many bottles can you bring into Australia at a time? In Canada it's one, in the UK it's 3 of regular proof, in the US it's pretty much unlimited, what's Australia like?

No doubt one of the folks down under can confirm or correct but I found this for Sydney airport. Would assume Perth is similar but are you arriving by ship or plane?

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/shop/heinemann-tax-and-duty-free/duty-free-allowances.aspx

Alcohol:

Up to 2.25 litres of alcoholic beverages (liquor, wine and champagne) per adult (passenger must be 18 years or over) can be brought into Australia duty-free. All alcohol in accompanied baggage is included in this category.

Remember: Alcohol is subject to liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs) restrictions. You cannot board your flight with a bottle or container of alcohol exceeding 100ml in your carry-on luggage. Alcohol that exceeds this amount may not be allowed on board as a carry-on depending on where you are flying in from, and if you purchased the item in your last port of call before Australia or if you are transiting in between before the final leg to Australia. Please check with the customs service of each destination for more information to avoid confiscation before reaching Australia.

To avoid any problems, you can pre order your duty free alcohol online before your trip and collect it when you arrive at Sydney Airport.

That's spot on. 2.25 liters (or 3 x 750ml bottles) per person over the age of 18. If you exceed it, they will tax you significantly on ALL of your alcohol... not just the excess.

Someone at work just dropped me off a 50ml sample of Dry Fly Port Finish, so I guess that's what I'll be sampling tonight :)

Another friend back from overseas. 1 litre of WT 101 and 2 litres of JD. I have so much duty free stuff now I don't think I'll get through it in my lifetime. Good problem for my son.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎31‎:‎29‎, deathevocation said:

Another friend back from overseas. 1 litre of WT 101 and 2 litres of JD. I have so much duty free stuff now I don't think I'll get through it in my lifetime. Good problem for my son.

A nice problem to have :)

Off to Melbourne tomorrow for a few days.... and a visit to Nicks is on the agenda.  Can't wait :)

Double Oaked Woodford now at Dan's!  Picked up a bottle today along with some Benromach 10 which normally isn't in stock at my local. Will report back tomorrow with impressions. 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎39‎:‎21‎, Jayman said:

Double Oaked Woodford now at Dan's!  

I saw that last week too, and hope to grab one for drinking over the Xmas break.  My local also had Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and Blanton's Gold in stock.  Also of note, Dan's web site lists Blanton's Straight from the Barrel as available online for $199.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by Kemps Creek Liquor on our travels through Western Sydney... Didn't snag anything special (they had heaps, but I had a budget), so grabbed an Old Forester, a 375 of Buffalo Trace and an old 200ml bottle of Austin Nichols Wild Turkey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.