Bellemain Whiskey Glasses on Amazon

b1gcountry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's a good article. Thanks.

Too bad. I was hoping to drum up some discussion on the forum to spice up my day. ..

That's a good article. Thanks.

Too bad. I was hoping to drum up some discussion on the forum to spice up my day. ..

:lol: Well, in looking them over on-line it is hard to tell. It looks to me like the base might be a bit more narrow than the base of the Glencairn. Not that the Bellemain looks wobbly (and every Glencairn I've had break wasn't knocked over), but if it is more narrow - it might be a higher risk of knocking over. Although I would agree if you are buying in bulk for a tasting, probably a good buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a good glass. I know a set of 12 glen cairn will go for 99.00. 12 of these I think would be a better buy in my opinion. I'm a sucker for glassware anyway, and would welcome them .

I've been drinking from them the last three nights, and they are decent glasses at a good price, but not quite as nice as the glencairn glasses.

The Bellemain glasses came double boxed inside the amazon shipping box, with an exterior corrugated packing box branded with Bellemain logo, which contained an inner display box with individual compartments for each glass. I've found this standard with other glasses, and they are not slipping this step.

The glasses were washed and I poured three tastings for the night. They all tasted like bourbon :) The next few nights I just sipped on a glass most of the evening.

The rims on the glasses are not polished perfectly smooth. If you run your finger over the mouth, you feel just a little bit of grit. The bases are also imperfect, with a lot of ripples on the underside. I noticed these while sipping and enjoying some pours over the course of the evenings, but I likely wouldn't have noticed if it was a more casual session, or if there was the distraction of drinking with friends. When I washed the glasses, I noticed the rims were not perfectly round. They were slightly oval. This was only noticed when I was drying the glasses with a towel. Most people would not notice this. The glasses were sturdy enough I would expect them to hold up well.

Compared to the glencairn, they

have minor profile differences. Notably the base is rounder. They also do not have the brand etched in the base. All of my Glencairn are etched glass from different distilleries, FYI.

All things considered, these are great glasses at a good price with very minor quality trade offs. I still plan on using the glencairn glasses for my personal use, but these will be perfectly acceptable for when I invite friends over. I will not feel like I am giving them an inferior glass. If brand recognition is important in your circle of friends, these are easily spotted as "not glencairns", and you may be served getting the authentic glasses for 50% extra. I recommend one or two genuine glencairn glasses if you enjoy the textile feel of the glass, but pick up 6 or 12 of these for when you have company.

Edited by b1gcountry

our whiskey group bought a boxes of these for our tastings. you can't beat the price and for all intents and purposes they function just as well as a glencairn. i highly recommend them.

5 minutes ago, signde said:

our whiskey group bought a boxes of these for our tastings. you can't beat the price and for all intents and purposes they function just as well as a glencairn. i highly recommend them.

I like the glass design EXCEPT for one thing - I don't want my hand to warm the bourbon in the glass - and I don't see how to comfortably hold this glass without having that happen:unsure:

Edited by starhopper

8 minutes ago, starhopper said:

I like the glass design EXCEPT for one thing - I don't want my hand to warm the bourbon in the glass - and I don't see how to comfortably hold this glass without having that happen

but isn't that a problem with the glencairn design in general and not these particular glasses?

i personally don't hold a glencairn except when taking a drink.

Edited by signde

2 minutes ago, signde said:

but isn't that a problem with the glencairn design in general and not these particular glasses?

i personally don't hold a glencairn except when taking a drink.

Actually, the Glencairn has a base that is specifically designed to allow you to hold the glass without warming the contents.  I always hold it by the base - it's quite comfortable.

On 12/18/2015, 2:39:47, starhopper said:

Actually, the Glencairn has a base that is specifically designed to allow you to hold the glass without warming the contents.  I always hold it by the base - it's quite comfortable.

i'm confused. how is this a problem with the bellemain glass but not the glencairn? they are nearly identical.

Starhopper, are you thinking about the Canadian glencairn glasses? The Bellemain glasses are almost identical to glencairns

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

Starhopper, are you thinking about the Canadian glencairn glasses? The Bellemain glasses are almost identical to glencairns

BOY DO I FEEL STUPID!!!!  I thought I knew what the Bellemain looked like - but I was completely wrong.  I was, in fact looking at the NEAT glasses.  Now that I've seen the Bellemains, they look almost exactly like the Glencairns.  I must've had one too many sips of OGD114 when I was posting the other day.  Just IGNORE everything I posted!:huh:

Edited by starhopper

Ignore everything you've ever posted. ..check!:)

Edited by b1gcountry
add sarcasm

i've never understood the appeal of neat glasses. they look dumb. like how am i even supposed to drink out of that stupid thing? i want to drink whiskey without doing cartwheels. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/17/2015 at 3:33 PM, starhopper said:

I like the glass design EXCEPT for one thing - I don't want my hand to warm the bourbon in the glass - and I don't see how to comfortably hold this glass without having that happen:unsure:

This is an interesting take on the effects of body warmth. It is my impression that the whole concept of a brandy snifter is that the palm of your hand warms the spirit ever so gently so that the subtle aromas and flavors are released. Or am I mistaken about this? Many SBers claim that they NEVER add ice to their bourbon because cold suppresses the flavor.

^^^+1 here...^^^

Even when I add ice, which is regularly (in small portion:D), I do prefer my whiskey at room temperature.  I find that it takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes for the whiskey to come back up to temperature after adding ice, but I'm patient like that! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.