Rock Hill Farms

bigmzungu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have heard some buzz about a possible discontinuation of Rock Hill Farms. Does anyone know anything about it one way or the other? I'm assuming it is maybe a more restrictive distribution but I am really hoping it will still be around.

18 minutes ago, bigmzungu said:

I have heard some buzz about a possible discontinuation of Rock Hill Farms. Does anyone know anything about it one way or the other? I'm assuming it is maybe a more restrictive distribution but I am really hoping it will still be around.

I haven't heard anything, personally.  Tell us about the source of your rumor, and what you think about its  credibility.   

It was from a store owner who was told by a distributor rep they would not be receiving any more because it was being discontinued. Usually I dismiss these rumors as miscommunications but RHF is a favorite so I am hoping to see if anyone else has heard similar.

36 minutes ago, bigmzungu said:

It was from a store owner who was told by a distributor rep they would not be receiving any more because it was being discontinued. Usually I dismiss these rumors as miscommunications but RHF is a favorite so I am hoping to see if anyone else has heard similar.

Honestly, info from store owners and distributor reps are well down my list for credibility.  Not, for any malicious intent on their parts, but they just...blabber a lot! :lol:  but, that in no way means it won't, and certainly can't happen in today's environment.  So, to steal a bit from Joaquin Andujar:

"There is one word in Bourbonia that says it all, and that one word is, 'You never know.'  ;)"

Edited by smokinjoe

Rock Hill Farms, is a great pour, albeit about $10 overpriced.  I would probably stock up on several if the news turns out to be true.  It really opens up about 1/3 through the bottle.

Hmm. Yes, we'll keep our eyes open for this.

I think I've got about 6 stashed, because when you want one in a hurry, you can't usually just snap your fingers and find one.

Always grateful for a new reason to bunker, whether the rumor is true or not, haha!

If it's getting pulled, it can't be because of sales - it always seems to sell out!

RHF is one of the Mashbill 2 bourbons that sells for crazy amounts in Europe. In the UK, the price for RHF, Hancock's and ETL is nearly double the US price, whereas Blanton's comes out about the same price or only  just slightly  higher.

The disproportionate mark-ups have never made sense to me.

10 minutes ago, elmossle said:

I just saw this same rumor surface tonight as well. I guess time will tell if it is indeed true or not.

No, it is not true.

A little historical perspective...  The ground a portion of the distillery is on was Rock Hill Farm. 

If it ever happened, I'd be a pretty bold move away from the nod toward their history that they've always seemed to embrace. 

I begrudgingly admit that the allocations seem to be working just fine, and see no rationale for them to change their course of action at this time.     

51 minutes ago, Paddy said:

A little historical perspective...  The ground a portion of the distillery is on was Rock Hill Farm. 

If it ever happened, I'd be a pretty bold move away from the nod toward their history that they've always seemed to embrace. 

I begrudgingly admit that the allocations seem to be working just fine, and see no rationale for them to change their course of action at this time.     

Indeed. Doesn't make sense.

Buffalo Trace's official response is: "We are bottling the volume as always".

being in the retail sales business, I'll tell you that Distributor sales reps, by and large, are less informed about bourbon than MOST SBers.   When I asked the rep that carries MM if he had heard anything about MM CS 46 (which was released in limited markets last year but supposed to get wider release this year), he didn't even know there was a MMCS46.

Same lack of knowledge when I asked EC rep if they still had age stated EC12 in warehouse or if next delivery would be NAS.  He didn't know what I was talking about.

So I'd take the no more RHF rumor as just that.....an unfounded rumor.

Woo hoo - I'm down to less than a third of a bottle of RHF.  Next time, I'm buying two -- one for me and one for the bunker.   ;)

.......and all that said, even if not discontinued, it's still a tough bourbon to find in the wild.  It comes in spurts in NJ, but I haven't seen any in months.  Last I saw it, I passed up a few more bottles at like $45, as I already have about 5-6 in the bunker.  Excellent bourbon.

My impression is the sales people just want to steer you towards whatever they happen to have on the shelf at that moment.  Don't wait and not buy anything, or go hunting in other places.

If I didn't learn otherwise from people posting here, I would think a number of brands had been discontinued.  :blink:

Geez guys, I didn't even have enough time to panic-buy more RHF!

This rumor was no fun at all!

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump up an old post but every time I have a pour of RHF, I am always kind of surprised at how much I like it.  I remember drinking Blanton's for the first time and thinking there were a few things that I would have liked to have tasted in the bourbon, then on a lark, tried RHF (because I couldn't really find much info on RHF) and it kind of filled in all the gaps I had been looking for.  If Blanton's is on the shelf it goes in a snap...whereas RHF at $48.99 can sit on the shelf for a few weeks it seems (not a bad thing).  

To me, the unique thing is that the sweet/red fruit/candy thing lasts along with the finish.  Usually I find that part of the taste fades as the finish takes over.

I've always been a fan of Rock Hill Farms and have never had a disappointing bottle. I'm also thankful it has remained out of the limelight.

4 hours ago, squire said:

I've always been a fan of Rock Hill Farms and have never had a disappointing bottle. I'm also thankful it has remained out of the limelight.

Me three - waiting for it to show up again around here, tho'.  Tired of driving to Connecticut (and paying their sales tax!) to find replacements for the bunker.   ^_^

On 7/19/2016 at 11:33 PM, fenderbender4 said:

Sorry to bump up an old post but every time I have a pour of RHF, I am always kind of surprised at how much I like it.  I remember drinking Blanton's for the first time and thinking there were a few things that I would have liked to have tasted in the bourbon, then on a lark, tried RHF (because I couldn't really find much info on RHF) and it kind of filled in all the gaps I had been looking for.  If Blanton's is on the shelf it goes in a snap...whereas RHF at $48.99 can sit on the shelf for a few weeks it seems (not a bad thing).  

To me, the unique thing is that the sweet/red fruit/candy thing lasts along with the finish.  Usually I find that part of the taste fades as the finish takes over.

Totally agree.  RHF hits all the right buttons for me.  Blanton's has been underwhelming for me lately, but obviously has a much larger US and worldwide market so you see it much more often on the shelves.  I haven't seen a RHF in months, and what I saw was older 2015 stock.

11 hours ago, Jacket said:

Totally agree.  RHF hits all the right buttons for me.  Blanton's has been underwhelming for me lately, but obviously has a much larger US and worldwide market so you see it much more often on the shelves.  I haven't seen a RHF in months, and what I saw was older 2015 stock.

Funny how regional things are.  At a frequented place like Total Wine, there are a bunch of bottles on the shelf at $47.99, whereas I don't think you could find Blanton's if you wanted to.

To people who have been in the bourbon game longer, how exactly did Sazerac/Buffalo Trace originally position Blanton's and RHF in terms of pricing structure?  Were they different tiers or just different things?

Funny how regional things are.  At a frequented place like Total Wine, there are a bunch of bottles on the shelf at $47.99, whereas I don't think you could find Blanton's if you wanted to.

To people who have been in the bourbon game longer, how exactly did Sazerac/Buffalo Trace originally position Blanton's and RHF in terms of pricing structure?  Were they different tiers or just different things?

As back as I can remember (15 or so years) they've been priced pretty close in Atlanta.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:26 PM, fenderbender4 said:

They were positioned as equals with different profiles.  Blantons being sweeter and richer for the Bourbon fans and Rock Hill Farms the older, dryer, more complex and sophisticated version for the single malt crowd.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.