Spring Break 2016 4R, WT, WR, and BT trip

kwshannon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We planned a spring break trip from Iowa to Cincinnati & Asheville (Biltmore).  My wife was nice enough to allow me to stop at a few stores on the trip.  I'll post a picture of purchases in the general thread.  Also, we took one day to stop at 4 distilleries & tour 3 of the 4.

We started the day at Four Roses, took the 10 AM tour with Jo.  Fun tour, guide was very good.  Other 4 people on the tour also had Iowa connections, so it was enjoyable.  We had stopped at both locations in the past, but had not toured.  Not a long tour, spent most of the time in the fermentation area.  Sampled YL, SmB, and SB.  SmB is still my favorite.  Picked up a 4RBS OESF.  They also had 2 OB flavors, YL, SmB, and regular SB available.

We drove over to Wild Turkey.  It was 30 minutes before the next tour, so we decided to head out.   We have toured WT before.  Very industrial feel to the place compared to 4R.  They had WTRB, WT101, WT81, RR, RR Rye, and several of the flavored products.  I passed on all.

We just made it to Woodford Reserve to make the 12 noon tour.  About 20 of us.  JP was one of the BEST tour guides we've had out of about 15 distillery tours.  Used lots of big words, but had a sense of humor about it.  We had toured WR before the new gift shop opened.  Very good tour, tasting was also one of the best.  Guided us through the 3 samples - DS, sweet mash, and Double Oaked.  DO was my favorite.  Also had a bourbon ball.  They had several products avaialble in the shop, I passed on all.

Last, we drove into Lexington, then on the way out we decided we had enough time to stop by Buffalo Trace.  We only had to wait about 15 minutes for the free tour.  (We had taken the Hard Hat the last time and I would recommend it.)  This tour was a video, plus visit to the bottling area for Blanton's, and a warehouse.  This complemented what we had seen on the HH tour, so glad we did it.  Sampled BT, ER10, and the Bourbon Creme, plus a bourbon chocolate dessert ball.  They had ER, White Dog #1, and Blanton's available for sale in the gift shop.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there last weekend and I just ate the last of my bourbon balls. We were able to get in Four Roses (Terry was our guide) , Jim Beam and then Makers. Really a fantastic day and the bbq nachos at Beam are pretty darn good too. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.