flahute

Woodinville Whiskey Co.

Kpiz   
Kpiz
17 hours ago, flahute said:

This being there first ever private pick, I was curious how they would set it up. Short answer is: they were exemplary hosts.

One of the partner/distillers tasted through about 20 barrels and picked 5 that he really liked. Those were brought over from the warehouses in eastern Washington and were on premises. 

They had 5 glencairns set up for each person and let us take turns using the whiskey thief to partially fill a pitcher which he then used to fill the glencairns. 

Each barrel was slightly older than 5 years. He estimated the barrel proof of each to be in the low 120's.

Fun facts: Woodinville bourbon has a mash bill of 72/22/6. This was the first time I've heard the mash bill disclosed and I was surprised they were that high in rye. Their proof off the still is 140 and their barrel entry proof is 110. Pretty cool.

My only criticism of Woodinville's standard 90 proof 'small batch' is that it has a wet cardboard taste that I associate with bourbon that's a bit too young. 2 of the barrels had this flavor, 1 only had it slightly, and the other 2 didn't have it at all. As a group, we individually decided to eliminate the 2 that had the flavor. It ultimately came down to the 2 that didn't have the flavor and our decision for the selected barrel was unanimous. (I was the last to decide and when I revealed my choice I discovered that the other three tasters had made the same choice). So, we didn't talk about it and convince each other - we all came to the same conclusion. That's pretty cool.

The one we chose had classic bourbon flavors to my palate. With that many samples to go through at barrel proof, who knows how well the palate was tasting (though I know from my personal history of barrel picking that I've never made a bad choice. Some barrels just end up surprising a little when they come in.) 

What I can tell you is that this barrel shined at both barrel proof and with water added. One of the barrels that seemed like the best at the first taste (at full strength) did not fare as well with water added. Most of us don't drink at full proof because it burns out the taste buds too fast so how it fared with some water added was important. 

The more of it I drank, the more I liked it. Very pleased to have this distillery just 8 miles down the road from my house making great bourbon.

When the bottles come in, I'll taste it on a clean palate and give you more details. Also, I'd be happy to pick up one or more for you and send them to you.

Thank you Steve for the details. It sounds like you had a fantastic time and picked a great barrel. As you noted, very cool that you all independently chose the same barrel as your favorite. And kudos to Woodinville Whiskey for hosting you folks as well as they did, especially considering it was the first time they've offered a private selection.

I will happily take you up on your offer to pick up a bottle for me! Much appreciated. A Woodinville CS bourbon and my first taste of a Flahute selection rolled into one, I can't pass that up.

The distillery posted a few pictures of what I think is your barrel selection. Look at those discerning palates at work!

lcpfratn   
lcpfratn

Thank you Steve for the details. It sounds like you had a fantastic time and picked a great barrel. As you noted, very cool that you all independently chose the same barrel as your favorite. And kudos to Woodinville Whiskey for hosting you folks as well as they did, especially considering it was the first time they've offered a private selection.

I will happily take you up on your offer to pick up a bottle for me! Much appreciated. A Woodinville CS bourbon and my first taste of a Flahute selection rolled into one, I can't pass that up.

The distillery posted a few pictures of what I think is your barrel selection. Look at those discerning palates at work!

That definitely looks like Steve in the bottom of the picture in black.

flahute   
flahute

Yep, that's our pick! The shaved head at the bottom of the photo is me.

flahute   
flahute
2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That definitely looks like Steve in the bottom of the picture in black.

Ha! Simultaneous post.

fishnbowljoe   
fishnbowljoe
12 minutes ago, flahute said:

Yep, that's our pick! The shaved head at the bottom of the photo is me.

Shaved head my a**!  Like me, you're follickly challenged. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

flahute   
flahute
20 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Shaved head my a**!  Like me, you're follickly challenged. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Don't spill my secret Joe!!