CEHT Four Grains

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Haven't heard anything about this, assume it will be just as limited as CO and SW though...  Having a hard time getting this link to work for some reason.  Only seems to work if copy / paste directly instead of clicking it. 

http://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=16117001000016

Edited by dcbt

Nice to see an actual 12 yr age statement. I won't chase it, but if I come across one naturally, curiosity will likely get the best of me.

I'm curious when this release is expected.  Is this going to be the 2017 EH Taylor release?  Anyone know how far in advance they got label approval for Cured Oak or Seasoned Wood.

I think the Seasoned Wood label was approved in 2014. Looks like there were a few posts on twitter and reddit referencing it in June 2014.

4 hours ago, jackthedog said:

I think the Seasoned Wood label was approved in 2014. Looks like there were a few posts on twitter and reddit referencing it in June 2014.

Thanks.  So it can be anywhere from 2017 to 2018.

But didn't they announce CO and SW at the same time, saying that first up is CO and later is SW?  This is the first I think anyone is hearing of the 4G, so the lead time could be shorter (similar to the CO instead of SW in other words).

I have to hand it to BT.  The E.H. Taylor line is really a great way to monetize the better barrels that used to go into BT, as well as all their experimental bourbons that are well received/they have a lot more of.  Good for them.  They really did a good job with the marketing.  I still enjoy the rye, but it's hard to justify the price.

• 9 months later...
Thread bump overdue alert (I mean come on, we talked more about Lusty Claw than we have this offering:rolleyes:)!

Coming soon to a fine spirit purveyor near you, @ a suggested retail of $69.99.

http://www.gobourbon.com/buffalo-trace-announces-new-e-h-taylor-jr-bourbon-2017/

I hope we see some in Lexington

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Thread bump overdue alert (I mean come on, we talked more about Lusty Claw than we have this offering:rolleyes:)!

Coming soon to a fine spirit purveyor near you, @ a suggested retail of $69.99.

http://www.gobourbon.com/buffalo-trace-announces-new-e-h-taylor-jr-bourbon-2017/

Well the good news is that I bet this will actually be MSRP in Virginia. Of course it will be offered in a lottery of which I'll have a 1% chance of winning. 

Interesting they bottled at such a low proof (104). Isn't bottling at lower proof supposedly equate to better flavor? Or is this just marketing hype created by Makers Mark.

Interesting they bottled at such a low proof (104). Isn't bottling at lower proof supposedly equate to better flavor? Or is this just marketing hype created by Makers Mark.

I don't think 104 is traditionally a low proof. More producers are offering cask strength options in the last 3 or 4 years, but 104 is still pretty high.

I think flavor and proof are mostly separate in liquor. It's a hard sell saying that watering something down increases the flavor...

For whiskey, if the entry proof is too high, it's like aging vodka. Too low and it's like aging water. For the most flavor I would think you would want to add as little water as possible after it comes off the still. Including the barrel proof and the bottle proof.

I'm not sure if any distiller has a distillation proof equal to their barrel entry proof. I'm sure a lot of people here know.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Ssome people think Barrel entry proof (not bottling proof) being lower can equate to more flavor although I've had great bourbons that entered the barrel at a lot of different proofs

17 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

I have a bridge to sell you . . . Proof is proof.  There are relatively low proof whiskies with great flavor and high proof whiskies with great flavor.  There are watery flavorless whiskies of low proof and high proof whiskies that taste like Everclear that someone set on fire.

Maryland typically gets about 15-50 bottles of the EH Taylor special releases.  I just don't bother anymore.

3 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I'm not sure if any distiller has a distillation proof equal to their barrel entry proof. I'm sure a lot of people here know.

MB Roland ( a craft distiller in Kentucky) does this

MB Roland ( a craft distiller in Kentucky) does this

Interesting. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Just because it's the EH Taylor line I expected it to be at 100 proof. 

46 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Just because it's the EH Taylor line I expected it to be at 100 proof. 

He means *barreled* at 104 proof. This is a bottled-in-bond expression so it's definitely 100 proof in the bottle.

5 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Booker's. Distilled at 125, barrel entry at 125, bottled at whatever it exits the barrel.

As for the CEHT 4g, I think the release is imminent. Let the hysteria begin.

5 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Assuming you meant "barreled".

Yes, some people will tell you that a lower barrel entry proof results in better flavor. The Russell's like to talk about how they kept their entry proof low when everyone else started to creep up. (And yes, theirs has come up lately too.)

There are certain sugars in the wood that are more soluble in water than ethanol which is why some say it results in better flavor. Is it really better? That's subjective, but it is different.

Lower entry proofs come from a time when distilling technology couldn't produce the high proofs off the still we get today. As technology improved, distillers held their entry proofs because it's what they always did. Years later economics would dictate raising it as high as legally allowed to get more product out of the same barrel. That's why many go into the barrel at 125 proof now. In addition to getting more product (when downproofing to 90 or 100 or whatever proof) the difference is that the water is being added at the end of the process. This can result in different flavors. Not necessarily better, but different.

Squire always used to say that lower entry proofs resulted in better flavors sooner which mattered if the whiskey was bottled younger, which it mostly was back in the day.

12 hours ago, amg said:

He means *barreled* at 104 proof. This is a bottled-in-bond expression so it's definitely 100 proof in the bottle.

I guess that's what I get for reading the board but not clicking through the link.

3 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I guess that's what I get for reading the board but not clicking through the link.

Yeah that got me too.

18 hours ago, amg said:

Ooops...I meant barreled.

Saw a couple of reviews on this last night from those fortunate enough to get advance samples and they are much better than the reviews of Seasoned Wood which I thought was very close to undrinkable when I tried it a few weeks ago.  Looking forward to tasting this one

On 3/17/2017 at 7:57 AM, Hop said:

Saw a couple of reviews on this last night from those fortunate enough to get advance samples and they are much better than the reviews of Seasoned Wood which I thought was very close to undrinkable when I tried it a few weeks ago.  Looking forward to tasting this one

Can you post links to the reviews you've seen? I tried googling but couldn't find any yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.