CEHT Four Grains

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 3 weeks later...

So....I know this is hitting shelves across the country.  Who has tried it and what do you think?  I've been fishing around locally, but I want to know if it's worth seeking out multiple bottles at MSRP.

12 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

So....I know this is hitting shelves across the country.  Who has tried it and what do you think?  I've been fishing around locally, but I want to know if it's worth seeking out multiple bottles at MSRP.

Haven't seen it locally yet (and so I haven't tried it). Reviews seem to be generally mixed. Nothing really bad but only a few strongly positive of the handful I have looked at. Take that for what it is worth which may not be much!

I will probably still get one to try if  I can find it close to retail.

Perhaps I was overly optimistic thinking I could locate more than one bottle.  Today I did some pavement pounding and reached out to a few large chains via email.  The big stores basically said they will only make it available to their biggest spenders.  I have a good relationship with two smaller stores that frequently sell me things "in the back", but I doubt they'll get more than one or two bottles.  One of the larger chains compared their allotment of CEHT 4G to PVW 15yr. :o

1 hour ago, Nm0369 said:

Perhaps I was overly optimistic thinking I could locate more than one bottle.  Today I did some pavement pounding and reached out to a few large chains via email.  The big stores basically said they will only make it available to their biggest spenders.  I have a good relationship with two smaller stores that frequently sell me things "in the back", but I doubt they'll get more than one or two bottles.  One of the larger chains compared their allotment of CEHT 4G to PVW 15yr. :o

I heard the same info - the allocations were really tight on this one.  Not enough to go around, even for those smaller store's best customers.  Probably going on premises and to huge chains which are a tough nut to crack nowadays 

Ok guys... I'm not very experienced giving reviews, but here goes...

I cracked this tonight. I like it. It is quite unique. As soon as I popped the cork I could smell it, a very sweet spicy nose. The legs on this one!!! My first sip is always neat, and this is a warm one, but pleasantly so. There was a faint black licorice under the wood and leather that I don't usually care for, but it works in this one. It was so faint I really had to work to pick it out. As the legs indicated, it has a nice thick mouth feel. The finish is long and warm with a rye bread taste finally giving in to a little bit of mint. It is different than the usual fare of ECBP and Stagg Jr and even its smb and SiB cousins. I would definitely buy another if I could! Not necessarily because I think it tastes fantastic, but more because it tastes different and I really enjoyed it because of that. I think it'll go really well with a cigar by the fire on one of these cool nights.

Sounds interesting.  I thought about opening mine tonight but went with some plain ole Stagg Jr instead.  Maybe this weekend I'll give it a whirl, especially if the evenings are still as unseasonably chilly as tonight.

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

Ok guys... I'm not very experienced giving reviews, but here goes...

I cracked this tonight. I like it. It is quite unique. As soon as I popped the cork I could smell it, a very sweet spicy nose. The legs on this one!!! My first sip is always neat, and this is a warm one, but pleasantly so. There was a faint black licorice under the wood and leather that I don't usually care for, but it works in this one. It was so faint I really had to work to pick it out. As the legs indicated, it has a nice thick mouth feel. The finish is long and warm with a rye bread taste finally giving in to a little bit of mint. It is different than the usual fare of ECBP and Stagg Jr and even its smb and SiB cousins. I would definitely buy another if I could! Not necessarily because I think it tastes fantastic, but more because it tastes different and I really enjoyed it because of that. I think it'll go really well with a cigar by the fire on one of these cool nights.

I'm not holding my breath that I'll ever actually find a bottle of this but your review gives me hope that it's a better pour than many of the other reviews I've read.  Most say its one dimensional sweet with words like soft and gentle thrown in.  I've also seen it described as thin.  I have heard that will be a second release of this next year as well.

It came and went recently in the Phoenix area. The few places that got any got one or two. I'm guessing most went to on-premise accounts. I didn't get one :angry:

Just got one myself, and the shop got 4 (was only allocated three, but they cajoled their was into an extra). In comparison, the same shop was allocated about half a dozen various Pappys (actual Pappys, not counting Lot B or the rest). Allocations are definitely tight. I haven't opened it yet to figure out if it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/bourbon/e-h-taylor-four-grain-bourbon#/product?productSize=0

The Va ABC has 270 bottles that will go in a lottery, entries accepted starting Wednesday with the winners notified on 5/29.  Retailing for $69.99. They also have single barrel (348 bottles) and small batch (100 barrels) going on the same date.

Picked up 2 last week at $67

saw two today at different stores, same city.... $299 and $399 ea  - WTF

It hit Indy and people lost their minds driving around to find it. I don't have the energy for that, but I would buy a glass if I catch it at a bar.

Got a bottle last week for $85.  Good stuff.  Just wishing that I could find another bottle.

I got lucky and got a bottle last week. It will be a while before I open it since I have so many others open right now. And, of course I'd like to get lucky again and find another before I open it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I got lucky and got a bottle last week. It will be a while before I open it since I have so many others open right now. And, of course I'd like to get lucky again and find another before I open it anyway.

You would stock up on something you haven't tried yet? I've done that before, and I'll never do it again.

45 minutes ago, amg said:

You would stock up on something you haven't tried yet? I've done that before, and I'll never do it again.

Ahhh, you're a wise person, amg. 

I rarely buy more than one of anything new/different without a taste.    I had done that in the past, especially on stuff I knew might be difficult to replace.     It worked out fine a few times; and lousy a few other times.

Given the expense of these LE's, and the odd (experimental?) nature of this particular one's mashbill, I too will be very careful to try first..... If I ever find the first bottle.

If it's something that is getting pretty decent reviews, limited release and somewhat reasonably priced, I will buy two if I can even before I open one. Since it will likely be awhile before I open the one I have, maybe I'll get lucky and find another, but I doubt it. If so, I'll take a chance unless the consensus of opinions really starts to go downhill on this product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't the reviews pretty downhill already, if I saw one at retail I'll admit I would buy one but two would be a tough sell unless I opened it and enjoyed it before the shelves were cleared, especially since they are doing this one again.

Aren't the reviews pretty downhill already, if I saw one at retail I'll admit I would buy one but two would be a tough sell unless I opened it and enjoyed it before the shelves were cleared, especially since they are doing this one again.

I don't think I've seen any negative reviews. I've seen some that were like "meh...I was expecting more, but it's still a solid bourbon," but I've also seen reviews that were pretty favorable. I probably won't get an opportunity to get another until next year's release anyway, so then I'll be able to compare them if I'm able to get one.

I just haven't been able to get excited about any of these CEHT releases. If I was offered one at retail I'd buy it of course, but I'm not going to jump through all the hoops and hustle to get one only to find out that it's just "OK", or, to find out that it's great but oh, so sorry, I only have one so it's one and done and I have to lament not being able to find any more. I'm not playing that game any more.

I just haven't been able to get excited about any of these CEHT releases. If I was offered one at retail I'd buy it of course, but I'm not going to jump through all the hoops and hustle to get one only to find out that it's just "OK", or, to find out that it's great but oh, so sorry, I only have one so it's one and done and I have to lament not being able to find any more. I'm not playing that game any more.

Steve, I understand your point. I'm getting a bit tired of the game too. However, thus far I've never paid more than regular retail for anything I've bought, although I might be willing to go a bit over retail if I had to for a few select items that are highly regarded. I really didn't think I'd find any Four Grain, but lucked up on a bottle at retail at a store that I don't shop at regularly, but do buy some mid and top level stuff occasionally. The manager saw that I was buying a bottle of ECBP, and he'd just received the CEHT Four Grain and asked if I wanted it for $78, so I said yes. Now, I'd like to have another bottle, so I may wait on opening to see if I can get lucky again with next year's release since this is not a one time release from what I understand. I have lots of other bottles including Scotch that I haven't tried in the bunker anyway. I have learned that you have to buy them when you see them even if you aren't in a rush to open them. Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.