Bourbon 30 - It's That Time

silverc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in Lexington, KY earlier this week. They had some bourbon there that I've never heard of before and I could not find anything in a google search either. Any of you guys know about Bourbon 30 - It's That Time? What is this stuff?

They had several varieties.... Barrel Proof, Double Oaked, a single barrel rye, and a "Barrel Crafted" (whatever the hell that means).

9cRlZXG.jpg

27 minutes ago, silverc said:

I was in Lexington, KY earlier this week. They had some bourbon there that I've never heard of before and I could not find anything in a google search either. Any of you guys know about Bourbon 30 - It's That Time? What is this stuff?

They had several varieties.... Barrel Proof, Double Oaked, a single barrel rye, and a "Barrel Crafted" (whatever the hell that means).

9cRlZXG.jpg

It's hyper-aged, overpriced whiskey being made at the former Old Taylor distillery.  You can find them on the web, twitter, facebook and instagram.  I'm not sure how they did it, but they seem to have plenty of shelf space around here and generally fair reviews.  As to how it tastes, no one has offered to give me a bottle yet.

Edited by Paddy
Edit to add: Glenn's Creek Distillery is the source...

It's always that time here, but not paying that price for hyper aged bourbon.

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

It's hyper-aged, overpriced whiskey being made at the former Old Taylor distillery.  You can find them on the web, twitter, facebook and instagram.  I'm not sure how they did it, but they seem to have plenty of shelf space around here and generally fair reviews.  As to how it tastes, no one has offered to give me a bottle yet.

Is this from the former Old Taylor, now called Castle & Key, or is the former Medley distillery that is now called O.Z. Tyler? The later is the new Kentucky home of Terressentia, the company with the BS hyper aging chemical process for taking young whiskey, making it worse, and then tripling or quadrupling the price for the privilege. Apparently they really wanted to further extend the façade of their process by being able to call it "Kentucky Bourbon".

The bottling companies listed are a bit of a curiosity. The first is Glenn's Creek Distillery, which appears it might be the new name of the former Old Crow Distillery near the new Castle and Key and not far from Woodford. Looks like these are the same people as the Deviant Distillers people who recently bought the Old Crow Distillery. The second, Whiskey Thief Distilling Company, is another tiny distillery in the Frankfurt area using the same address as another tiny operation called "Three Boys Farm Distillery" and owned by someone named Ross Caldwell with a Frankfurt address but not in the same area as Glenn's Creek Distillery.

The proximity of Glenn's Creek Distillery to Castle & Key does lend some support perhaps that this is a Castle & Key product. I don't think they are even distilling yet, just growing a few herbs in the newly renovated garden for a planned gin, so no telling where it comes from. And they have made this big deal about how they are going to make a BIB bourbon and honor the Colonel Taylor legacy. But I guess they have to sell something to pay the bills...

However the alleged bourbon pictured doesn't have much interest for me, other than perhaps the "spokesperson" on the one page website.

Should have known SKU would have something about it.

Bourbon 30, Lexington, KY. This is a clothing company that has a whiskey label. Bourbon 30 is an MGP bourbon that was initially bottled by Glenns Creek Distilling, then by Royal Spring Branch Distillery/DW Adams Distillery and now appears to be bottled by Whiskey Thief Distilling Co. They are also planning to market Rye Whiskey 30, an Indiana rye.

Whether or not Terressentia is involved isn't defined.

Bruce, I think you asked a question...:blink:  Yes, out of Glenn's Creek.  No idea regarding the source.  They've already hyped out more brand labels than I care to keep up with.  

45 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Bruce, I think you asked a question...:blink:  Yes, out of Glenn's Creek.  No idea regarding the source.  They've already hyped out more brand labels than I care to keep up with.  

As you could see, I didn't really know what I was asking! Just rambling on during a slow Friday and wishing I could get home because I have a ton to do for tomorrow.

Jeez, I am already tired just thinking about it!

Yes, it's Bourbon Thirty here, now, though I'm a bit choosy about letting poser labels join the table.

Though the question has already been answered, I can tell you about Castle and Key. They plan to start distilling in about 6 weeks. I heard this straight from the horses mouth. They'll be selling some gin very quickly. The bourbon won't be released for a minimum of 4 years. 

• 1 month later...

I've had a few more questions about Bourbon 30's barrels crafted bourbons & whiskeys. I posted this on another thread & some may not have seen so here it is again. 

Hello everyone my name is Jeff Mattingly founder & owner of Bourbon 30 spirits. In regards to a thread I read here's the story of Bourbon 30. I founded the company in 2010 & we are family owned & operated. We started our operation at the Old Crow distillery which is now called Glenns Creek. We were there about eight months & then moved our operation to Three Boys Farm Distillery in Frankfort, KY. It's nested on 122 beautiful acres & is a craft distillery. We had a gift shop in Georgetown, KY but due to a merge our merchandise is no longer there although we do have a gift shop at Three boys. Old Taylor which is now called Castle & Key has never had anything to do with Bourbon 30 spirits company. We do have an online store that has over 50 products of mens & womens apparel to include, t-shirts, hats, hoodies, koozies & glassware. Three Boys Farm Distillery has its own FB page & so does Bourbon 30 along with its twitter & instagram. 

Our red label single barrel has been on the shelf since November of 2015 & the first run was bottled at Glenns Creek. In May of this year we introduced three new labels to the retailer. We now have a red label single barrel barrel strength, A gray label small batch barrel strength, A yellowish label rye & a blue label 90 proof. Since leaving GC we decided to remove "double oaked" from our red label because Beam & woodford were in a lawsuit over the use of it. All bourbon 30 spirits labels are now "Barrels Crafted" bourbons & whiskeys. We are the only label on the shelf that uses this to describe our product which I have since trademarked. Barrel Crafted is a process we developed optimizing our barrels resulting in a full flavored bourbon & whiskey. Hyper-aging or rapid aging is not something we do. Our juice never leaves the barrel unless we are finishing it in another one. 

If you're in the Frankfort, KY area our address is 283 Crab Orchard Rd, stop on by & tour our facility & sample our products. More information you can go to Threeboysfarmdistillery.com or our facebook pages bourbon 30 & Three Boys Farm Distillery. You can read our reviews there as well as on yelp & trip advisor. Thank everyone for your time & I look forward to being a part of this community.

• 9 months later...

Hi Jeff @Bourbon 30!

Not to hijack the thread but I'm trying to find information on another whiskey, Old Pepper (seems like an export bottle), and it's supposedly made by Royal Spring Branch Distillery, which you bought this year according to the Bourbon 30 website. Are you making or bottling the Old Pepper, and do you have any info to share on it? Thanks in advance!

On 5/5/2017 at 7:02 AM, Northern Bourbon said:

Hi Jeff @Bourbon 30!

Not to hijack the thread but I'm trying to find information on another whiskey, Old Pepper (seems like an export bottle), and it's supposedly made by Royal Spring Branch Distillery, which you bought this year according to the Bourbon 30 website. Are you making or bottling the Old Pepper, and do you have any info to share on it? Thanks in advance!

I'm interested in hearing about this too. I have a bottle of Old Pepper, but it was purchased in Denmark and I've never seen it in the US. Any source info would be great to know.

true taste and great story makes the finest bourbon in the world...... lol

On 2017-05-07 at 7:39 AM, Paddy said:

It is. Dead end though. Half a homepage with no actual information. This has export-only written all over it. I am still curious.

I can't seem to find any link to the James E Pepper brand either. Maybe there is none.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:02 AM, Northern Bourbon said:

Hi Jeff @Bourbon 30!

Friends, Bourbon 30 spirits bought the Royal Springs branch distillery in Georgetown, KY from David Adams. We nor Mr. Adams has never distilled or bottled for Old Pepper. We invite you all to visit us 130 S. Water St. in Georgetown, KY for a tour & tasting. When there take advantage of the barrel tour experience. You can visit our web page itsbourbon30.com & social medias FB, twitter & instagram @Bourbon 30  look forward to seeing all. Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.