Four Roses Elliot's Select

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've tasted it. It's very good. Not a review I realize, but I had multiple tastes over a half week period and they were all great.

5 hours ago, jsrudd said:

This is a U.S. only release so I'm never going to see it over here. 

Hey, many/most of us will never see it on this continent either!    ...At least not 'in the wild'.    I'm hoping; but, not holding my breath.

Everybody knows you don't drink LE releases, you buy as many as you can and then put them in a bed and roll around on them Indecent Proposal style.  That's how you really enjoy the LEs.

58 minutes ago, petrel800 said:

Everybody knows you don't drink LE releases, you buy as many as you can and then put them in a bed and roll around on them Indecent Proposal style.  That's how you really enjoy the LEs.

LOL.  And then throw the bottles up on the Facebook secondary for 3x retail.

I'm sure it is very nice bourbon - hell, I haven't had any FRSB's that I thought were bad (although I certainly enjoyed some more than others).  But at the MSRP of $125 - I'm not going out of my way.  I've pretty much given up on LEs for the most part.  I used to sorta enjoy "the hunt", but anymore it just feels like a chore.  I do hope enough folks here are able to get a bottle without having to go on facebook :)

I've got bourbon hunting fever.

only thing I like more is drinking it with a nice cigar while sitting in my rocking chair and yelling at my kids

2 hours ago, darylld911 said:

I'm sure it is very nice bourbon - hell, I haven't had any FRSB's that I thought were bad (although I certainly enjoyed some more than others).  But at the MSRP of $125 - I'm not going out of my way.  I've pretty much given up on LEs for the most part.  I used to sorta enjoy "the hunt", but anymore it just feels like a chore.  I do hope enough folks here are able to get a bottle without having to go on facebook :)

Totally agree. If I see one, I'll buy it but like you I won't hunt for it.

I will continue to buy standard Private Selection bottles as i find ones I like and there are a lot of them out there that I like.

Will this be much different than a private store select? I was thinking maybe 4R hides the best barrels away.

ive tried 4R limited small batch and it was my favorite hands down. Never tried the limited single barrel, only 3 or 4 store selects.

24 minutes ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Will this be much different than a private store select? I was thinking maybe 4R hides the best barrels away.

ive tried 4R limited small batch and it was my favorite hands down. Never tried the limited single barrel, only 3 or 4 store selects.

It has a bit more age than a private store select. I don't think I've ever seen a store pick that was more than 12 yrs and some months, and even those are very rare to come across. I also imagine they set aside some special barrels for this.

Still, I won't be too upset if I can't get my hands on this since there are so many great private selections around here.

10 minutes ago, Darwin said:

I really do like FR, but I am not interested at that price.

I think $125 is becoming the low end of the LE price spectrum, sadly.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:49 AM, petrel800 said:

16 hours ago, darylld911 said:

Or Mark's bed...  :o

Edited by tanstaafl2

12 hours ago, amg said:

I think $125 is becoming the low end of the LE price spectrum, sadly.

I have noticed that, and it's one reason I look at reviews and try to get a taste before I spend those amounts.  I did a bit of looking around at LEs last night and I noticed many well respected labels had poor scores ( C,  70+ / 100 ).  I am going to guess price was strongly considered in those evaluations, and the LE was not much better than the standard expression  The reviews are not my sole determining factor when making a decision, but they help.  I have purchased a $100 bottle and had serious buyer's remorse.  The single malt distillers & bottlers are doing the same sort of thing, it's all about hype and profit.   :o

I try to remember the old saying about a fool and his money...  but sometime I forget and get burnt.   :unsure:

No doubt this will sell out, perhaps it already has. To the point of whether this LE is "better" than the various store select single barrels on the market?

IMO, not necessarily, while I've no doubt it is a fine tasting pour, I am very wary of anything approaching 12yrs+ let alone 14. I had and enjoyed a JR selected 4RSBLE of the OBSK recipe. I later participated in a barrel selection at 4R where we purchased an OBSK of a younger vintage that the LE. I did several SBS of the two and preferred the younger ( which is great as I have several and had only 1 LE). To each his/her own but I am very happy with the local selection and variety of 4RPS and as such never even gave a thought to this latest LE. 

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

No doubt this will sell out, perhaps it already has. To the point of whether this LE is "better" than the various store select single barrels on the market?

IMO, not necessarily, while I've no doubt it is a fine tasting pour, I am very wary of anything approaching 12yrs+ let alone 14. I had and enjoyed a JR selected 4RSBLE of the OBSK recipe. I later participated in a barrel selection at 4R where we purchased an OBSK of a younger vintage that the LE. I did several SBS of the two and preferred the younger ( which is great as I have several and had only 1 LE). To each his/her own but I am very happy with the local selection and variety of 4RPS and as such never even gave a thought to this latest LE. 

Totally agree with you on the relative quality of this compared to standard barrel selects out there. There are so many good ones. I'm also suspicious of anything north of 12 years old as I've gotten pretty sensitive to oak. I've tasted this one and can tell you it's not tannic. OESK is one of my favorite recipes from them so I'm a buyer if I see it. That said, I'm not going to put in the hustle necessary make sure I get one. If I miss out, I'm OK with that because I have a lot of store selects on hand that are a cut above most of the whiskey I generally consume. 

I'm more interested in the Small Batch LEs, but I would probably buy this if I saw it in the wild at MSRP-ish.  I like the recipe, and Brent Elliott seems like a humble, hard working guy.  Doesnt hurt that he grew up about a town over from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else heard that some of this (maybe a lot of it?) got "recalled " because of leaky corks? That is reportedly why it has not been released yet in Georgia. Any other states hearing this?

It also can't be a particularly good thing for the whiskey.

All of the pitiful KY allocation was opened too quickly to ascertain whether there may have been a cork issue, or not! 

Based on the phone calls I been receiving (hey, guess what I'm drinking), I'll even venture to add that I think they've all already been emptied!  :lol: 

4R Elliott's is very good......but it pails in comparison to Booker's Rye. I opened the 4R on friday. And the Booker's last night. 

I was able to pick up two bottles of barrel-proof bourbon that I'm sure will bring me much joy for the price of one of those bottles, and the purchase involved no more work than going to check a few stores while my wife got her hair done today. The hunting/fighting for a LE bottle these days just isn't worth it. I'm sure it's great whiskey, but there's plenty of great whiskey out there for less money and much, MUCH less hassle. 

On 7/8/2016 at 3:57 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Has anyone else heard that some of this (maybe a lot of it?) got "recalled " because of leaky corks? That is reportedly why it has not been released yet in Georgia. Any other states hearing this?

It also can't be a particularly good thing for the whiskey.

I did hear that, but I've seen ATL area folks posting pictures of it on Facebook this weekend...

Not to feed into the rumor too much but this was listed on the NC ABC Website for a couple of weeks then removed completely which is odd but doesn't mean it was a recall - might just mean it wasn't distributed here.  To my knowledge it never was released here

I personally think the price is right.  I think bourbon drinkers had it really good for a while, while scotch was the dominant "high-end" liquor.  After the onslaught of the PVW craze, and thus the other brands that have followed the cult status, price hikes are inevitable and probably more justified rather than having hoarders clear shelves and then resell them for 3-10X the price.  Look at Macallan 18...not even rare, just old-ish, cheapest end would be $180.  Most of the "later age (like 18 years)" scotches fall into the $80-$130 range.  I expect bourbons to reach that point, although most will probably not have age statements.

Plus bourbon sort of has a higher price bracket IMO, due to its popularity right now with awards, reviews, and whiskey purists (no caramel colouring, barrel proof, etc.).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.