Elijah Craig "Barrel Select"

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Based on two new labels noted on SKU's blog it looks like Heaven Hill might be borrowing a page from Barton/Sazerac's book and their new "1792 Full Proof", also at 125 pf.

Elijah Craig Barrel Select - A 125 proof NAS bourbon. Terribly shocking for a company that was allegedly running short of whiskey and had to drop their age statement. If they start going through the younger whiskey at a high rate I don't see them going back to the age sttement any time soon (as if I ever really expected it to return without a significant price increase at a minimum).

To make matters more interesting there is yet another NAS bottle in the Elijah Craig line that has a new label application - Elijah Craig Small Batch 1789. As SKU noted in his blog it doesn't yet seem to be clear what the point of this one is unless perhaps it is a rebranding of the Elijah Craig NAS line (it is the same proof as the current small batch) in preparation for the return of EC12 at its new higher price point.

I think that's exactly what is going to happen - EC12 reappearing at a higher price point within the next year (or maybe later this year).

My only fear about EC Barrel Select is the possibility it replaces ECBP. At 125 proof, they stretch out the supply a bit (since most ECBP's currently are in the mid to high 130's) and of course at NAS they have more stock to choose from.

Does anybody know if the 'Barrel Select' will be Chill Filtered or not?

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Does anybody know if the 'Barrel Select' will be Chill Filtered or not?

I do not know for certain but if it doesn't make a specific point on the label to say that it is "non-chill filtered" then I am inclined to think it will be chill filtered. Neither of these new labels specifically say non-chill filtered although the final label could change I suppose.  I think current ECNAS is chill filtered so I expect these will be as well. Only the ECBP is non-chill filtered that I can recall.

125 proof does sound more drinkable, but the loss of an age statement is theoretically troubling.   Honestly I would rather have this if it becomes more accessible versus dribs and drabs of ECBP that get snapped up by the flippers as soon as it hits the shelf.

52 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

125 proof does sound more drinkable, but the loss of an age statement is theoretically troubling.   Honestly I would rather have this if it becomes more accessible versus dribs and drabs of ECBP that get snapped up by the flippers as soon as it hits the shelf.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. If it was readily available and still maintained the quality, I would be fine if it lost the age statement. Obviously not my first choice but it could present a good balance. 

I came down on Heaven Hill's side the last time ECNAS came up.  Once bitten, twice shy.  I bet they are either gift shop exclusives or (more likely) rebrands of the current product lineup.

Since the TTB application only lists the 200ml size I'm really hoping that this is just a gift shop novelty and not a replacement for ECBP.

1 hour ago, amg said:

Since the TTB application only lists the 200ml size I'm really hoping that this is just a gift shop novelty and not a replacement for ECBP.

Good catch on the 200ml sizing. The label also seems unusually small, as if intended only for a small bottle.

Although perhaps this is wishful thinking...I would be very disappointed to see the ECBP age statement go away.

Elijah Craig 1789 is awful close to their Evan Williams 1783. Both are names, start with an E, and end with a year in the 1780's. My newest NAS bottle of EC is like McKenna lite. Probably my favorite bottle of EC I've ever had. So I'm so far not bummed about the loss of the age statement.

5 minutes ago, ethangsmith said:

Elijah Craig 1789 is awful close to their Evan Williams 1783. Both are names, start with an E, and end with a year in the 1780's. My newest NAS bottle of EC is like McKenna lite. Probably my favorite bottle of EC I've ever had. So I'm so far not bummed about the loss of the age statement.

I don't really care about the loss of age statement so much as how it was done.  EC12 and ECBP have never really been my bag due to excessive oak and a weird peanutty flavor that HH distillate seems to begin trending toward after 10+ years.  I pick it up as a winter mint/menthol flavor in younger offerings of theirs, and really enjoy it.  Henry McKenna 10 is about where my enjoyment tops out in HH's age statement range.  I have enjoyed VSOF12 quite a bit on occasion, but that's an outlier.

I'm going to give it a couple more years for ECNAS to finish transitioning away from EC12 and I'll probably give it a go.

On 6/25/2016 at 1:37 PM, garbanzobean said:

I'm going to give it a couple more years for ECNAS to finish transitioning away from EC12 and I'll probably give it a go.

I don't think you'll have to wait that long. I bought a bottle of ECNAS a few weeks ago and it was noticeably younger and less oaky than EC12. I still have some of that bottle left, and some EC12 as well, so maybe it's time for a SBS.

Agreed. My recent bottles of EC without the age statement have been VERY similar to McKenna. I've already nicknamed my bottle "McKenna Lite."

• 2 years later...

Reviving Bruce's thread to see if anyone has heard definitive news about what the story is with this whiskey. I sent an email to HH a couple of months ago and other than an automated response thanking me for contacting them and that my inquiry had been forwarded to the appropriate HH representative, I've heard nothing. It's a decent bourbon, which I suppose is all that really matters, but I'd really like to know more about it.

ECBS.jpg

59 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Reviving Bruce's thread to see if anyone has heard definitive news about what the story is with this whiskey. I sent an email to HH a couple of months ago and other than an automated response thanking me for contacting them and that my inquiry had been forwarded to the appropriate HH representative, I've heard nothing. It's a decent bourbon, which I suppose is all that really matters, but I'd really like to know more about it.

ECBS.jpg

Do you find that it has more of an Evan Williams flavor profile to it, more so than an Elijah Craig profile?  The few times I've tried it, that's what I've always felt.  Hard to explain in great detail, but to me it has always been 125p EW.

In my mind, this must be some kind of leftover whiskey from bottling a different product,  that was dumped/batched together and proofed to a specific point (125p) to be sold as this product.

I can't imagine they went through all the time/trouble of selecting specific barrels to make this product.  It probably used to go to the employee break room water cooler, and they realized they could sell it in the gift shop instead.

:)

Thanks a lot Bag. Now you’ve got me thinking about opening mine. :huh: If only I didn’t have almost twice the number of open bottles that I usually do......  :mellow:

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks a lot Bag. Now you’ve got me thinking about opening mine. :huh: If only I didn’t have almost twice the number of open bottles that I usually do......  :mellow:

Biba! Joe

you know where I live :D. C'mon over

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.