Yippee Ki-Yay

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone have tasting notes on this.?

is it a buy or pass?

Edited by BigPapa

anxious aren't we?  give it some time, someone will respond.  a few members have enjoyed it and some haven't, for me it was a pass due to price (saw it at $60 and $70) as I'd rather have other stuff at that price.  maybe someone else can come and give you more insight on it.

I would like to try it also but it is a little above what I want to pay for it.

There has been some discussion of it in the Rye forum although I don't think it has its own thread. I like it but it is a heavily finished whiskey and some folks don't care for that. I love the cinnamon notes from the Vya vermouth finish (would love a bottle of just that on its own!) and the deep red fruit tones work with it as well. I prefer MWND, which is typically a bit more expensive but they are really very different whiskies except for the fact that both have extensive wine barrel finishes.

At $60-$65, maybe even $70, YKY is an easy buy for me. But some places seem to be charging a good bit more, getting into the $80+ range where the MWND should be, if you could find it at present.

3 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

anxious aren't we?  give it some time, someone will respond.  a few members have enjoyed it and some haven't, for me it was a pass due to price (saw it at $60 and $70) as I'd rather have other stuff at that price.  maybe someone else can come and give you more insight on it.

Cheers

4 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Nobody has a comment? 

My comments on it are in the Rye forum, but the gist of it is pretty similar to tanstaafl2 said.  Good, not as good as MWND, yet very unique.  I don't see myself buying it again (unlike MWND, which I always regret not buying more than one bottle a year of . . . too late to do anything about it) due to the contrast of price with the obvious youth of much of the MGP spirit, but I am enjoying my bottle.  

I tried it at WhiskeyFest and found it quite unique and also enjoyable.  I have a bottle but have not yet opened it.  When I do, I plan to drink it as some have suggested, on ice as an aperitif.

I too, have earlier commented on this whiskey in the Rye Forum.  I quite like it.  As others have mentioned, the influence of the finishing barrels is substantial, and may not be for everybody.  Particularly those who aren't big fans of finished bourbons or ryes.  I thought it played well with the base spirits, but I do enjoy finished American Whiskies, and I do approach them differently than unfinished.  Its a repeat buy for me, and I think it was $70ish?

By the way, Bruce led me to the cinnamon note in it, which really does pop.

Bought a bottle and...wouldn't buy another one.  Agreed on the fact that it's a heavily finished whiskey.  Really takes on the Vya and Vermouth character.  I can see how some may like it but for me...no, don't care for it.

• 5 weeks later...

We sampled this last night for the first time. It was opened after we had some scotch, and some BP selections. The high rye and the wine finishing managed to really cut through, and it managed to stand out despite the palate fatigue. I will post some notes once I actually try it by itself.

On July 7, 2016 at 7:11 PM, fenderbender4 said:

Bought a bottle and...wouldn't buy another one.  Agreed on the fact that it's a heavily finished whiskey.  Really takes on the Vya and Vermouth character.  I can see how some may like it but for me...no, don't care for it.

Does it have a Manhattan flavor to it with the vermouth barrel finish?

On 7/5/2016 at 1:58 PM, garbanzobean said:

My comments on it are in the Rye forum, but the gist of it is pretty similar to tanstaafl2 said.  Good, not as good as MWND, yet very unique.  I don't see myself buying it again (unlike MWND, which I always regret not buying more than one bottle a year of . . . too late to do anything about it) due to the contrast of price with the obvious youth of much of the MGP spirit, but I am enjoying my bottle.  

I remember when my local got several cases of MWND (the second release I believe) and most people around here had no idea how good it was. He ended up putting it on sale at $39.99 a bottle.

I almost bought a case, and have regretted not doing so ever since.

As far as Y-K-Y, I find it quite good myself, at the right price. 

On 7/7/2016 at 8:11 PM, fenderbender4 said:

This is almost where I am on it. Although I liked it, I rank it behind MwND, Angel's Envy, but about right in line with WPOP for finished ryes. I likey will not grab another, at least from the current lot. Although I will say it is a very good value as compared to the others I mention. 

It is massively juicy, almost tasting like a bite into a pickled plum. The cinnamon and plum notes are huge, and unfortunately overwhelm everything else. And I'm probably alone on this, but oddly I picked up a chianti taste in the finish. Surely that's just dark wine notes, but I kept double checking and kept noting it. 

a04d5573-9470-4b9d-b644-8b5079bd20e9.jpg

Edited by IncredulousNosco

I think something's wrong with your camera, that bottle looks practically full!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On 8/8/2016 at 6:30 AM, BigPapa said:

Does it have a Manhattan flavor to it with the vermouth barrel finish?

Slightly, in the initial part of the taste but in the mid-point and finish it definitely wasn't like a Manhattan I've had.  Personally just not my thing.  Heavily finished.  It's interesting...I know Icehouse in MPLS has some.

• 1 month later...

I recently cracked a bottle of this that a relative kindly got me in Florida and I am really enjoying it. Probably a bit too much. 

Love the rye/vermouth combo, it's a Manhattan/Cola Cube combo that I just find very moreish. Doubt I'll see it again anytime soon so I shall enjoy this bottle whilst it lasts!

So this is the first bottle I've seen, is it worth the 99$ they are asking for it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, WatchUrSix said:

So this is the first bottle I've seen, is it worth the 99$ they are asking for it?

it's been going for $59 around here, and it's sitting on the shelves.  so probably not.

17 hours ago, WatchUrSix said:

Not when you can get it in Columbia for around $60. It is worth $60. I have an open bottle of Batch 1 and 2 bottles of Batch 8 I'm saving for later.

Edited by Enoch

• 3 weeks later...

About halfway through a bottle of this (gift from a relative who visited Florida during summer, wasn't released in the UK) and I absolutely love it. 

It's so heavily finished that it's beyond a rye now and more like a rye based liqueur or something. As far as vermouth finished ryes go (the other I've tried being Dad's Hat which was terrible at best), you couldn't beat it. An acquired taste though, definitely.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.