OGD 114 Palate Burnout

b1gcountry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I really enjoy the first few sips of OGD114, but then something happens, and the flavor goes away a bit and all I taste is the heat. I'm fine drinking bookers straight, but the OGD just burns or my palate very fast.

Anyone else have that experience?

If I add a little water it seems to make things worse. If I add a bunch of water, it basically turns into OGDBIB.

Never had that experience.  That's an odd one, I must say.

That is strange. I actually like to tout OGD as the one bourbon that always tastes good when I have palate fatigue that makes all others taste off (to the point of not being enjoyable).

Is your experience repeatable over many different sittings? I sometimes get palate fatigue that makes some of my favorites taste one dimensional in a bitter/hot kind of way. When this happens, the first taste is good like you describe, and then it goes down hill. Because I know what they are supposed to taste like, I know it's me and not the whiskey so I take a break until my palate recovers and then all is good again.

One other thing to try is adding a little water before your first sip. Perhaps the first couple full proof sips are a shock to your taste buds due to a combination of the proof and the particulars of that yeast/mashbill.

On warmer days, I have trouble with higher proofs even in air conditioning - guess my ponderous body is acclimating to warmer weather, thus altering my palate.  OGD 114 neat or with a cube (fully melted by the time I get to it) is a favorite winter refresher, not so much in Summer.  Maybe it has something to do with capillaries migrating closer to the skin . . .

WARNING! It's contagious!  I'm sipping Jack Daniels Barrel Proof and all I'm getting is heat, near zero flavor and finish.

Contagious haha :)

The OGD thing has been pretty consistent for me. I'm still on my first bottle, but pretty much every time I drink it, yeah, that first stop or two tastes good, then burning.

OGDBIB is one that's always on for me, so it's just weird. I'm going to try some bookers or 4RPS soon and see what's up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Jazz things up with some cocktails.  OGD is my favorite mixer and I say that in a completely unbiased way.

• 1 month later...

LOVE me some 114, reminds me of my wife, hot and never goes away. :wub: the burn sits on my chest for a minute and it's disco like all grand dad's 

• 1 month later...

OGD 114 just became available in my ABC's earlier this year. When I first bought it, I liked it so much that I burned the roof of my mouth so bad it peeled. I think I was holding it in my mouth to long trying to pick apart all the nuances. Needless to say, I was off alcohol for about a week until it healed. 

I drink both 114 and Booker's neat. But I sip slowly and don't swallow until after the Kentucky chew. The only time I have been hurt by either one was when I poured some Booker's before dinner to let it air and then forgot that it was Booker's. I won't do that again.

7 hours ago, BDanner said:

OGD 114 just became available in my ABC's earlier this year. When I first bought it, I liked it so much that I burned the roof of my mouth so bad it peeled. I think I was holding it in my mouth to long trying to pick apart all the nuances. Needless to say, I was off alcohol for about a week until it healed. 

BD - That happened to me years ago when somebody said, "Here, try this."  Passed on it until after I joined SB and even later when OGD114 was BOTM.  Tried it again, neat and SLOWLY.  Found it too hot.  On Squire's suggestion and after reading a few other comments,  I put some (just a little) water in it and let it sit a few minutes (later I figured I'd taken it down to about 104-105 proof).  Sweet ambrosia, floral blossoms, and a finish that lasted multiple minutes - when sipped slowly.  I still don't drink it neat.

On another thread, you mentioned you'd discovered VOB.  The bonded VOB with the "6" on the neckband is one of my absolute faves.  Keep posting what you like.  I'm rediscovering things I'd forgotten.B)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.