Red Stagg Jr.

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, I've read a number of reviews that describe a cherry or cherry cola taste in some bourbons, especially barrel proof stuff.

I had some fresh dark sweet cherries, so I took one, gave it a quick crush with the back of a spoon, and added some Stagg Jr.

It did not taste good. Basically just like cough medicine. Won't be repeating that again. I didn't think it would help make a dent in 80 pounds of cherries, but I thought it would make a nice treat. I was wrong.

No, but I bet if you put 6 or 7 cherries in a small pour of something it will make the cherries taste great. ..

Well.     Such experiments are how we learn, right?    So, for the investment of one cherry, and a small amount of Stagg Jr. you learned a valuable lesson.    Maybe something like; 'Bourbon is pretty great on it's own'; or, 'Don't screw with perfection'.    HA!

Every time I order a cocktail that contains bourbon, I end up wishing i had ordered plain bourbon.

I'm thinking Stagg Jr. might not have been the right choice. It's got a lot going on by itself. Maybe something lower proof would have worked better. But the Stagg was the only thing I had open. Should have tried it with the Bulleit I was sipping on the night before around the fire.

Edited by GrPeMi

2 hours ago, GrPeMi said:

I'm thinking Stagg Jr. might not have been the right choice. It's got a lot going on by itself. Maybe something lower proof would have worked better. But the Stagg was the only thing I had open. Should have tried it with the Bulleit I was sipping on the night before around the fire.

Hmmm, maybe.    Bulleit uses a higher rye mashbill, if I'm not mistaken.    That might have made a compatibility difference, along with the lower proof.    If you still are desperate to use up another cherry (with 80-odd-pounds of 'em, I imagine one won't matter that much; but who am I to say?)... Go For It!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.